Duck weed question

Kayla102968

Are all species of duck weed safe for goldfish to eat? I recently got some duckweed and it looks different than any other I have seen. The leaves are much thicker and the bottom of the leaves are purple. All the duckweed I have seen have been thin leaves and green on the opposite side of the leaves. Does anyone know what type of duckweed this is and if goldfish can still eat it?

Thank you :).

Photos? Azolla can be a purple colour. Either way it should be safe. There are only a handful of aquatic plants you should avoid and they aren't easily obtainable.

I should add, plants do funny things when you expose them to enough light, differing levels of nitrate and iron. Duckweed is capable of developing a purple/red hue.

Edited by dan in aus

Some of mine has a purplish underside. You can read more than you'd ever want to know about the various types of duckweed here. You will see some pictures of plants that are purple on the underside. Nothing that resembles duckweed is toxic to fish. Actually toxicity is usually associated with a very bad taste, so fish are unlikely to eat anything toxic.

So the seller finally contacted me and told me that it is called 'fat duckweed' and is Lemna gibba and is edible to goldfish. He says he uses that species since it holds up well for shipping.

Here are some pics I took of it:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_0463_zps1cd0a177.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_0462_zps35cc52a2.jpg

The leaves are really fat and look like they are blown up and filled with air :). I'm not sure goldfish would eat it. I also saw that it is higher in carbohydrates than the other types of duckweed, so I'm not sure how much protein is in it. But it is very sturdy.

Here's a readable article on the nutritional value of Lemna gibba.

I was amused by one editing failure: "Duckweed

species of the family Lemnaceae are among the fastest growing land plants"

Here's a readable article on the nutritional value of Lemna gibba.

I was amused by one editing failure: "Duckweed

species of the family Lemnaceae are among the fastest growing land plants"

Interesting. It still is made up of quite a bit of protein...good to know.