What do I do now? My daughter won a fish

andry6

4 seems good to do. Make sure when you are doing the prazi to keep a watchful eye on him. :)

What should I be looking for?

He's a pretty quiet guy right now. Mostly sits on the bottom of the container. Occasionally swims around really fast, like he's darting around. (not sure if that's normal or not) He's eating/pooping and his fins are up.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 seems good to do. Make sure when you are doing the prazi to keep a watchful eye on him. :)

What should I be looking for?

He's a pretty quiet guy right now. Mostly sits on the bottom of the container. Occasionally swims around really fast, like he's darting around. (not sure if that's normal or not) He's eating/pooping and his fins are up.

If there's a heavy fluke presence fish will sometimes look worse when being treated with prazi before they look better. You can also sometimes get secondary infections, which is why I suggested having those antibiotics on hand just in case.

Keep us updated!

:no: Today I see a white spot on the bottom of his anal fin :no: I'm assuming it's ich?

The water is treated with Prime, Replenish (because we have a water softener), .3% salt and Prazi.

What do I do now?

Keep us updated!

:no: Today I see a white spot on the bottom of his anal fin :no: I'm assuming it's ich?

The water is treated with Prime, Replenish (because we have a water softener), .3% salt and Prazi.

What do I do now?

Do you have a picture of the spot? It's not necessarily ich - if it were ich you would see more spots, as if they were sprinkled on the fish. Also, the 0.3% salt will kill all but the most resistant cases once the ich falls off the fish.

Keep us updated!

What do I do now?

Do you have a picture of the spot? It's not necessarily ich - if it were ich you would see more spots, as if they were sprinkled on the fish. Also, the 0.3% salt will kill all but the most resistant cases once the ich falls off the fish.

Can you see it? It just appeared today.

002_zps113f00f3.jpg?t=1405621940

Edited by andry6

Keep us updated!

What do I do now?

Can you see it? It just appeared today.

002_zps113f00f3.jpg?t=1405621940

Yes, I see it. That doesn't look like ich to me. I would rather have one of the mods make the determination, but I'm thinking flukes or a bacterial cyst. Don't panic; I'm sure it's treatable. [emoji4]

I don't think a bacterial cyst would appear on a fin. I would lean more towards flukes myself and stick with the salt and prazi.

Are you using PraziPro or powdered prazi? Just a reminder if you're using PraziPro with 0.3% salt, you need to double dose the prazi. :D

I don't think a bacterial cyst would appear on a fin. I would lean more towards flukes myself and stick with the salt and prazi.

Are you using PraziPro or powdered prazi? Just a reminder if you're using PraziPro with 0.3% salt, you need to double dose the prazi. :D

I am using PraziPro and doubling the dose just for the first two rounds. Then I will reduce the salt to .1% and normal dose of Prazi for the final two rounds :)

Oh, and this little guy looked lonely so we got him a friend. I don't know if I'm crazy or not! :krazy: I just didn't feel right having him in a tank all alone :teehee

He is in his own container for now since I can't just add him to the container with the .3%...right? I figured by tomorrow I should be able to add him in because that will give me time to increase his salt over time. Then they will both be in QT for about a month together and then by that time I can get a real tank to put them in. Am I doing this right?

Edited by andry6

I am using PraziPro and doubling the dose just for the first two rounds. Then I will reduce the salt to .1% and normal dose of Prazi for the final two rounds :)

Oh, and this little guy looked lonely so we got him a friend. I don't know if I'm crazy or not! :krazy: I just didn't feel right having him in a tank all alone :teehee

He is in his own container for now since I can't just add him to the container with the .3%...right? I figured by tomorrow I should be able to add him in because that will give me time to increase his salt over time. Then they will both be in QT for about a month together and then by that time I can get a real tank to put them in. Am I doing this right?

I generally like to QT fish from different sources separately simply because they come from different places and therefore may have different pathogens, but it is up to you. If you want to QT them together, you can add him right away, no need to worry about slowly increasing salt. A quick rise in salinity to .3% without the progression may actually be more shocking to certain pathogens. ;)

And I agree with others' assessment - that spot does not look like ich. But do let us know if more appear. Have you already started prazi?

I generally like to QT fish from different sources separately simply because they come from different places and therefore may have different pathogens, but it is up to you. If you want to QT them together, you can add him right away, no need to worry about slowly increasing salt. A quick rise in salinity to .3% without the progression may actually be more shocking to certain pathogens. ;)

And I agree with others' assessment - that spot does not look like ich. But do let us know if more appear. Have you already started prazi?

Yes, I started the Prazipro yesterday

That's wonderful that your little fish made it through that first night and is now going through the prazi treatment.

Congratulations on your new little fish also that you just purchased. I wish them both well. :)

Yeah, I don't slowly increase salt either - 0.3% is so far below the tolerance threshold for goldfish anyway that I don't see any reason to. It's a cheap, great treatment for many parasites, and it's much safer for the fish than harsher treatments like formaldehyde that are pushed by a lot of pet stores (my LFS looked at me like I was nuts when I said I intended to treat ich with salt ... but it worked!). [emoji1]

Yeah, I don't slowly increase salt either - 0.3% is so far below the tolerance threshold for goldfish anyway that I don't see any reason to. It's a cheap, great treatment for many parasites, and it's much safer for the fish than harsher treatments like formaldehyde that are pushed by a lot of pet stores (my LFS looked at me like I was nuts when I said I intended to treat ich with salt ... but it worked!). [emoji1]

I think that the primary reason for slowly upping salt is to avoid any disturbance to the biological filter. I'm not sure that this is really a concern though, and it certainly isn't a concern in this situation. I haven't experienced a cycle bump from salt yet.

update:

The white spot is still there, and I don't notice any new spots. Both fish are together in the same container and seem happy to have a friend. They never leave each other's side! They are both eating/pooping VERY WELL! Hungry little guys! :) They are also not bottom sitting as much. I don't know if they were stressed, a little sick, or both, but things are looking good so far.

Here is a picture of the new guy. We named him Sushi. (The other one is Sunrise.)

Sushi_zps18d7ba1d.jpg?t=1405698425

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish these are. Is there a difference between commons and comets? The orange one (Sunrise) has a longer more forked tail whereas Sushi's seems shorter and less forked. Both have the same body length. I'm still so new to this whole fish thing so I don't mean to sound ignorant :no:

The primary difference between comets and commons is the tail. Comets generally have a longer tail and a deeper fork. I would say sunrise is probably a comet. I'm not sure about sushi, it's hard for me to see the tail shape on my phone since his/her tail is so transparent. If you want more input from people, start a separate thread with pics and ask what type of fish ;) sushi is gorgeous! I love the color!

No new spots is a good thing :)

update:

The white spot is still there, and I don't notice any new spots. Both fish are together in the same container and seem happy to have a friend. They never leave each other's side! They are both eating/pooping VERY WELL! Hungry little guys! :) They are also not bottom sitting as much. I don't know if they were stressed, a little sick, or both, but things are looking good so far.

Here is a picture of the new guy. We named him Sushi. (The other one is Sunrise.)

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish these are. Is there a difference between commons and comets? The orange one (Sunrise) has a longer more forked tail whereas Sushi's seems shorter and less forked. Both have the same body length. I'm still so new to this whole fish thing so I don't mean to sound ignorant :no:

Beautiful new addition!

Yes, commons and comets are different. Commons have a short, triangular tail fin and often grow to be bulkier fish. Comets have long forked tail fins that can grow to be the length of their bodies, and generally stay more streamlined in form.

Edited by ChelseaM

They both look like comets to me, but I can't see Sushi's tail well enough to be sure. Maybe you can get a shot of them in the tank. Hint: feed them before taking a picture. They usually stop swimming around to chew.

They both look like comets to me, but I can't see Sushi's tail well enough to be sure. Maybe you can get a shot of them in the tank. Hint: feed them before taking a picture. They usually stop swimming around to chew.

I'll have to try that! I may end up with food in the shot, but oh well! [emoji1]

Ok, this is the best picture I can get of the two of them for you to compare them. It looks foggy, but that's the thick plastic container. And, I changed that water this morning and am going to change it again right now. They sure are messy little fish! I don't have a filter on because I was afraid of the current and their tiny size. I'm torn as to whether or not they could tolerate it.

And, does that poo look normal to you? They are so long and they are everywhere!! I don't know if that is a good thing or bad :idont They were much smaller yesterday. Am I over feeding?

009_zps88f432c9.jpg?t=1405726303

Edited by andry6

Well, I was going by what tithra suggested. 2-3 meals, 3-5 pellets for the one fish, because I hadn't purchased his friend yet! So I feed twice, 10 pellets banking on the hopes that they should each get 5. Am I doing it wrong?

And I'm assuming it's the white one making those long ones because every time I look at them he's the one with it trailing behind him.

(and I just bought him yesterday, so I don't know what his poo was like before I started feeding him)

Edited by andry6

Ok, this is the best picture I can get of the two of them for you to compare them. It looks foggy, but that's the thick plastic container. And, I changed that water this morning and am going to change it again right now. They sure are messy little fish! I don't have a filter on because I was afraid of the current and their tiny size. I'm torn as to whether or not they could tolerate it.

And, does that poo look normal to you? They are so long and they are everywhere!! I don't know if that is a good thing or bad :idont They were much smaller yesterday. Am I over feeding?

009_zps88f432c9.jpg?t=1405726303

The main thing you should be concerned about with water quality in the QT tank is ammonia. Poop on the bottom of the tank in between water changes is to be expected. If you are doing 100% daily water changes and are not registering ammonia, you have nothing to worry about with regard to the water quality. I would be surprised if you needed to do twice-daily 100% water changes; I just got done with the QT of a much bigger fish in a 10 gallon and ammonia was not a problem at all with 100% daily water changes. Edited by *Amanda*

What pellet are you feeding them? :idont

I'm just suggesting as per what I did with my fry--several smaller meals vs a couple larger ones. :idont I wouldn't say you're doing it wrong though. :teehee

Have you weighed them? I"d be interested in how much they weigh. Mostly cuz I'm nosy. :rofl3

I am feeding them the hikari purple pellets. I also have the repashy soilent green. I was going to add that next.

I just weighed them. They were extremely hard to catch by the way! They are fast little fishies!

Sushi, the white one, is 3.5g

Sunrise is 2.5g