What do I do now? My daughter won a fish

andry6

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place. I already posted in general discussion, but someone mentioned that maybe I start a thread over here.

My daughter won a goldfish at work today. It was "carnival day" and of course, my luck, she won a fish.

Worst of all, it was in a mason jar, of all things! I currently have it in a clear plastic container with 4 gallons of water, 1 tsp. of aquarium salt per gallon, also treated with prime. (fyi...the fish is super tiny. About an inch..maybe..from nose to tail. I swear I can almost see through him too)

When I first went to her work to "rescue" this poor little fishy (because who knows how long it's been in that jar and how much longer it would survive in there) he was darting around. Now he's just sitting quietly at the bottom of the container. I'm assuming he's very stressed. It was also suggested that I cover the container with a towel and turn the lights out to let him settle down a bit.

Can anyone tell me what else to do? We already have two gorgeous fancy goldfish and don't have any room for another in the current 30 gallon tank.

If he survives, I guess I'll have to buy another tank for him. But, until then, what steps should I take to try to save this little guy??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you posted in this section. If he makes it through the night I'd definitely get at least a 10g tank for qt. like you mentioned. Or, do you have some kind of sterile tub to put him in now that's bigger than 4g? If not, definitely keep the water clean by multiple w/c's.

Oh, boy. I've been where you are quite a few times. I would also agree that you should get yourself a bigger bin. It'll make qt less work, in the long run. ;) Sterilite bins are also really cheap, so you can get two for daily water changes.

Here is an excellent article, written by our beloved Moderator, Tithra. It outlines why, and how, we quarantine a new fish:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/water-quality-articles/goldfish-quarantine-procedure-r503

I hope your little guy makes it! Just give him some quiet, and some space, for a day or two. I'm sure that he'll perk right up. Single tails are a lot of fun, and I hope that you enjoy him. :)

Edited by yafashelli

What else should I do to the water? So far, prime and salt. Should I prazi? How often should I change the water? Daily? He's so extremely tiny!

Can you see him?!

002_zps599d0297.jpg?t=1405554029

aw he's so little! :D

I would follow the directions in the article Tammy linked above.

But basically:

- You'll want a filter on the tub, you can pick up a cheap one at walmart if you don't have an extra around

- If you have time for daily water changes, or at least every other day, you can do this

- If you don't have time for really frequent water changes, I would seed your filter with a little cycled media from your other tank (I assume you have a cycled tank already going)

- Salt the tank to .3% to start (.3% = 1 tbsp of salt per gallon), when you do your water changes add back in what you took out

- If you already have prazi, start prazi now at a double dose because of the .3% salt. Leave it here for the first 1-2 rounds, then bring salt down to .1% and do a normal dose of prazi for the remaining rounds (link to a 5 day prazi schedule is in the link above). If you need to order prazi, you can at least start the salt now while you wait.

let us know if you have questions on any of this please :)

You may also want to pick up some kanamycin and metronizadole to have on hand just in case you need it.

But basically:

- You'll want a filter on the tub, you can pick up a cheap one at walmart if you don't have an extra around

- If you have time for daily water changes, or at least every other day, you can do this

- If you don't have time for really frequent water changes, I would seed your filter with a little cycled media from your other tank (I assume you have a cycled tank already going)

- Salt the tank to .3% to start (.3% = 1 tbsp of salt per gallon), when you do your water changes add back in what you took out

- If you already have prazi, start prazi now at a double dose because of the .3% salt. Leave it here for the first 1-2 rounds, then bring salt down to .1% and do a normal dose of prazi for the remaining rounds (link to a 5 day prazi schedule is in the link above). If you need to order prazi, you can at least start the salt now while you wait.

You may also want to pick up some kanamycin and metronizadole to have on hand just in case you need it.

My questions are:

1)I have two filters on my current tank that has been cycled for over a year.

Can I take one of the filters off of the cycled tank and put it on the QT tank? Then buy a new filter for the cycled tank. I have both ceramic media and cartridge filters on both right now, so I don't think replacing one of the filters would cause any harm to my cycle, would it?

2)If I upgraded to a 10 gallon tub for now, can I go five days without a water change while I prazi? He's so little, I can't imagine he would pollute the water that quickly right?

3)What do I feed him? So far I put three Hikari purple pellets in there and over the course of the past four hours he ate all three. Is that too much? My other fish were never this small so I have no idea how much to feed him and I don't even know what he weighs

But basically:

My questions are:

Can I take one of the filters off of the cycled tank and put it on the QT tank? Then buy a new filter for the cycled tank. I have both ceramic media and cartridge filters on both right now, so I don't think replacing one of the filters would cause any harm to my cycle, would it?

You can do that if you like, just keep an eye out for a cycle bump in your main tank.

2)If I upgraded to a 10 gallon tub for now, can I go five days without a water change while I prazi? He's so little, I can't imagine he would pollute the water that quickly right?

So, during QT water changes serve several purposes. The obvious one is to keep water params pristine, with a fish so small this is unlikely to be a problem, particularly if you decide to use a cycled filter. The other function of water changes (and why many like to go without a cycled filter and do daily changes) is that water changes also help to reduce the number of potential pathogens in the tank. For example, ich has a free swimming stage in which it is in the water column, frequent water changes would arguably reduce the number of parasites in the tank and support recovery. Many people also like to go with an uncycled filter because a cycled filter can expose your new fish to things that might be going on in your established tank that your fish with healthy immune systems may have no issue dealing with but for a fish with a compromised immune system might be an issue.

Ultimately, an uncycled filter and frequent big water changes are the ideal. I personally like the backup of a cycled filter, so when I have had new fish in the past I have used a cycled filter, but also done frequent water changes. You just need to do what works best for you. If really frequent water changes aren't really an option, then use the cycled filter, follow the 5 day prazi schedule and do the water change on the 5th and 6th day as the instructions imply. If you want to do more frequent water changes, just replace the prazi you took out when you do your water changes for the first 3 days of each round when the prazi is active (prazi is no longer active after 3-4 days)

3)What do I feed him? So far I put three Hikari purple pellets in there and over the course of the past four hours he ate all three. Is that too much? My other fish were never this small so I have no idea how much to feed him and I don't even know what he weighs

The Hikari purple pellets are great because they are small :) If you find they need to be smaller, you can use something to crush them a bit. I would feed 2-3 small meals a day. Probably 3-5 pellets a meal would be good? (if they are the tiny pellets I am remembering) I'm just thinking I feed my little bettas 2-3 pellets 2x a day. Hopefully others that have had little goldfish like this can chime in with their ideas :)

But basically:

My questions are:

You can do that if you like, just keep an eye out for a cycle bump in your main tank.

So, during QT water changes serve several purposes. The obvious one is to keep water params pristine, with a fish so small this is unlikely to be a problem, particularly if you decide to use a cycled filter. The other function of water changes (and why many like to go without a cycled filter and do daily changes) is that water changes also help to reduce the number of potential pathogens in the tank. For example, ich has a free swimming stage in which it is in the water column, frequent water changes would arguably reduce the number of parasites in the tank and support recovery. Many people also like to go with an uncycled filter because a cycled filter can expose your new fish to things that might be going on in your established tank that your fish with healthy immune systems may have no issue dealing with but for a fish with a compromised immune system might be an issue.

Ultimately, an uncycled filter and frequent big water changes are the ideal. I personally like the backup of a cycled filter, so when I have had new fish in the past I have used a cycled filter, but also done frequent water changes. You just need to do what works best for you. If really frequent water changes aren't really an option, then use the cycled filter, follow the 5 day prazi schedule and do the water change on the 5th and 6th day as the instructions imply. If you want to do more frequent water changes, just replace the prazi you took out when you do your water changes for the first 3 days of each round when the prazi is active (prazi is no longer active after 3-4 days)

The Hikari purple pellets are great because they are small :) If you find they need to be smaller, you can use something to crush them a bit. I would feed 2-3 small meals a day. Probably 3-5 pellets a meal would be good? (if they are the tiny pellets I am remembering) I'm just thinking I feed my little bettas 2-3 pellets 2x a day. Hopefully others that have had little goldfish like this can chime in with their ideas :)

Thank you so much for the great information! My fingers are crossed that this little guy pulls through

What an itty bitty little guy! Thank you for doing what you can to help this little fishie. You may be doing this already, but I suggest getting your daughter involved in the care of the fish. Good to start them young!

What an itty bitty little guy! Thank you for doing what you can to help this little fishie. You may be doing this already, but I suggest getting your daughter involved in the care of the fish. Good to start them young!

HaHa! She's 19!! :teehee

How's he doing? Has he perked up any?

Well, I added salt to the water and fed him three hikari purple pellets. Over the course of 4 hours, he ate all three! His top fin is still up, so that's a good sign, right?!

I have his container covered with a towel and occasionally take a peek at him and he does swim around a little.

Tomorrow I will buy a 10 gallon container (cheaper than a tank for now) and filter, change his water, re-salt and prazi.

I don't see any white spots on him (ich) but my daughter just came home from work and said that one of the other ones had a white spot on its fin. I'm assuming they all came from the same tank at the LFS so will the .3% salt take care of any worries of him getting ich?

But basically:

My questions are:

I personally think it's best to use an uncycled tank for QT, for the sake of pristine water and so as not to expose the fish to bacteria for which he has not yet developed an immunity. In the last two weeks of QT, I add increasing amounts of water from the main tank with each water change to get the new fish accustomed to the water he will soon be swimming in. For my QT, I have a 10-gallon tank that I had to do daily 100% water changes in to keep ammonia at 0, but my fish are much larger. If you don't see any ammonia, it may be fine for you to do 100% water changes every other day since your fish is so tiny. When you do a water change, simply add back in the amount of salt and/or praziquantel that you originally had in the tank so that it remains constant (assuming it's still supposed to be in there according to the schedule).

I'd also recommend throwing in an air stone in order to increase oxygen from gas exchange at the surface. I find this helps, especially in a QT, where the water can stagnate.

If you are talking about the Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish pellets, those are great. I like them because they're so tiny. I agree with Tithra on feeding more food and more frequently, especially with such a skinny fish. It's always best to feed goldfish smaller meals throughout the day instead of one big meal because of the way their digestive system is set up.

Good luck! [emoji1] I won 2 carnival fish at the age of 13. My mom put Dookie and Nimrod in a tiny bowl (probably 1/4 gallon), filled it with straight tap water, and they died 2 days later. [emoji25] I just got into goldfish keeping a couple of years ago, and was shocked at what was being advised - I thought goldfish were SUPPOSED to be kept in bowls!

I'm glad to see that you're coming on here and inquiring about how to care for the newest addition to your family! [emoji6]

Edited by *Amanda*

You've received a lot of good advice.

I'd prefer to keep him in the smaller container and do daily 100% water changes than to go to a larger container with a filter and partial water changes. I hate seeing a small fish struggling with the water flow from a filter. If there is likelihood of bad stuff in the water -- pathogens/parasites as well as wastes -- I like to remove it all every day.

If that's the 4 gallon tub the fish is in, it's really more water than this baby needs right now. This will not be true a month from now, but he'll be through quarantine by then. I'd actually only partially fill that container, to give better gas exchange. Do check your parameters regularly when using a small unfiltered tub. If you see any ammonia/nitrite with 100% water changes, you need a larger water volume.

I'd prefer to keep him in the smaller container and do daily 100% water changes than to go to a larger container with a filter and partial water changes. I hate seeing a small fish struggling with the water flow from a filter. If there is likelihood of bad stuff in the water -- pathogens/parasites as well as wastes -- I like to remove it all every day.

If that's the 4 gallon tub the fish is in, it's really more water than this baby needs right now. This will not be true a month from now, but he'll be through quarantine by then. I'd actually only partially fill that container, to give better gas exchange. Do check your parameters regularly when using a small unfiltered tub. If you see any ammonia/nitrite with 100% water changes, you need a larger water volume.

You know, I was wondering earlier how he would tolerate the water flow from the filter, or even possibly getting a fin or something sucked into it because he's so tiny. I certainly don't mind doing frequent water changes if it means he will survive. And, yes, that is the 4 gallon tub you see in the picture! Goes to show you how tiny he really is! I was wondering if he would get lost in a 10 gallon :teehee but I've received a lot of suggestions to do so. Maybe I can just monitor the parameters over the next few days and see what happens. Maybe put an air stone in? Would that help?

Edited to say: I appreciate everyone's help. It's always comforting to know that I have a place to go to get such good advice! :)

Edited by andry6

You know, I was wondering earlier how he would tolerate the water flow from the filter, or even possibly getting a fin or something sucked into it because he's so tiny. I certainly don't mind doing frequent water changes if it means he will survive. And, yes, that is the 4 gallon tub you see in the picture! Goes to show you how tiny he really is! I was wondering if he would get lost in a 10 gallon :teehee but I've received a lot of suggestions to do so. Maybe I can just monitor the parameters over the next few days and see what happens. Maybe put an air stone in? Would that help?

Edited to say: I appreciate everyone's help. It's always comforting to know that I have a place to go to get such good advice! :)

I do think an airstone would really help with gas exchange/oxygen. I agree that a 10 gallon is not necessary for THIS fish's QT, just because he's so small. You'll see a lot of advice to use a 10-gallon QT tank, though, and that's mostly because it's the perfect QT tank size for a lot of goldfish and also because it's easy to calculate and dose medications. A lot of meds are "per 10 gallons" or "per 20 gallons," so it's often easier to dose a 10 gallon tank than smaller volumes, especially when the doses are really tiny to start with. [emoji4]

Does anyone know how old a fish this size could be? I don't know at what age they start selling "feeders"...which is what I'm assuming he is...since they paid 15 cents for him

He probably is only a few months old. Feeders are mass produced and sold just when they get large enough, even sometimes before they color up. You can still have many years with him, and he could get very large. :)

Once you are done with QT and are ready to set him up with a filter, I would just take some of the media from one of your cycled filters and then add some uncycled media also. He doesn't produce very much waste at this size. :teehee. I did that when I added a filter to my fry tank and tested daily for any cycle bumps. :)

Good luck! He's a cutie.

Oh my I thought that was the 10 gallon he was already in! Yes, go ahead and keep him in the 4! Wow he is little :P

How many rounds of Prazi should I do on this little guy?

Oh my I thought that was the 10 gallon he was already in! Yes, go ahead and keep him in the 4! Wow he is little :P

How many rounds of Prazi should I do on this little guy?

I think 4 would probably be good :)