Help! My daughter won a fish.

andry6

So, my daughter's work had "carnival theme" today and wouldn't you know it she won a fish. Just my luck. :doh11:

Currently we have a 30 gallon tank with two fancy goldfish. I have no place to put this little guy, but I felt obligated to rescue it.

She sent me a picture of it and it was in a mason jar!!! :yikes I could only imagine how this little fish was suffering already. I came home and put it in a clear plastic tub (that I usually put my fish in during large tank cleanings). It's in about 4 gallons of water right now treated with prime. This fish is about one inch long, nose to tail, so obviously very tiny. I swear I can almost see through it. I'm assuming it's a comet.

So. What do I do? Do I treat it with anything? Prazi? What? :idont

What are the chances that this fish will even survive? I can't put it in the tank I currently have, even after quarantine because there isn't enough room for all three. I'm in a slight panic over here, but I just couldn't stand the fact that they had it in a mason jar of all things! Even a fish bowl would have been better living conditions! A rescue was definitely in order.

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thats so sad. Anyway, I would look it over and see if you can find anything noticably wrong. If you do, I would start a thread in the disease section. Also, it will be best for the fish to quarantine it like you would any new arrivals. Maybe get your hands on a 10 gallon for quarantine? During this time you could start looking at his future home or look at another tank. Good luck!! I hope he pulls through :undecided:

There doesn't seem to be anything noticeably wrong as of now. He was darting around like crazy in the mason jar and now he's just sitting on the bottom of the container I have him in. I have a feeling that he may be on his way out, but I'm not quite sure. Maybe he's just stressed. I just couldn't bear to not at least TRY to help him.

I totally understand what your going through. My daughter was at our local yearly Fair in my area a couple of weeks ago and she brought home a tiny 1 inch comet that was left on the hot pavement in one of those little plastic containers. Long story short. We kept him for a few days and put him in a 10g tank with about 16 teaspoons of salt and did daily 100% wc's. My daughter rehomed him to a girl friend of hers once they purchased a tank. We had given her a box of mortons canning salt and half a jar of NLS tiny pellets to get her started. We also recommended prazi along with other information. After the little fish left our home I made sure to disinfect my qt tank. I'd advice you not to use any of your products on your little comet especially your water changer if you have one. I was too afraid that I'd get my healthy fish sick so I even kept my qt tank in another room because I had just recently purchased a new fish even from ECR.

You got some great info. above from Moucho to start a D&D.

Good luck on your little guy.

Usually the big killer with carnival fish is stress. They are already kept in deplorable conditions at the fair, carnival, etc, and then they endure a stressful journey home where they are kept in an awfully small bowl and die within a few days from sub-par care.

I think the fish is probably very stressed right now. He's been through a heck of a lot, I bet. Put a blanket or towel over his tub and shut the lights, and let him calm down.

I really hope he pulls through for you, he's very lucky to be in good hands now. :hug

4 gallons on a tiny fish like this isn't enough? I don't have anything bigger at the moment.

I totally understand what your going through. My daughter was at our local yearly Fair in my area a couple of weeks ago and she brought home a tiny 1 inch comet that was left on the hot pavement in one of those little plastic containers. Long story short. We kept him for a few days and put him in a 10g tank with about 16 teaspoons of salt and did daily 100% wc's. My daughter rehomed him to a girl friend of hers once they purchased a tank. We had given her a box of mortons canning salt and half a jar of NLS tiny pellets to get her started. We also recommended prazi along with other information. After the little fish left our home I made sure to disinfect my qt tank. I'd advice you not to use any of your products on your little comet especially your water changer if you have one. I was too afraid that I'd get my healthy fish sick so I even kept my qt tank in another room because I had just recently purchased a new fish even from ECR.

Thank you! I planned on getting an entirely new container for water changes for my current fish. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their health! :wub:

Usually the big killer with carnival fish is stress. They are already kept in deplorable conditions at the fair, carnival, etc, and then they endure a stressful journey home where they are kept in an awfully small bowl and die within a few days from sub-par care.

I think the fish is probably very stressed right now. He's been through a heck of a lot, I bet. Put a blanket or towel over his tub and shut the lights, and let him calm down.

I really hope he pulls through for you, he's very lucky to be in good hands now. :hug

Aww..thank you :) I sure hope he pulls through. It's amazing how something so tiny can touch your heart. I'm praying for this little guy, believe me :please

4 gallons on a tiny fish like this isn't enough? I don't have anything bigger at the moment.

Thank you! I planned on getting an entirely new container for water changes for my current fish. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their health! :wub:
Your welcome. One's heart does melt when we see them where they came from. I did leave him in just clean fresh water for the first 24 hours. He made it through that first night and started to eat also. That's when I started using salt. Yours is in great care with you. If you do decide to keep him it will be fun to see him get big. I kind of regret that part in not keeping the one my daughter brought home. But she can easily see/ask about him.

I had my daughter ask about this little fish at work...where did he come from and when was he purchased? She said they bought him from either petsmart or pet supplies plus, this morning, before noon, and he was 15 cents. So, he may not have been through as much stress as if he were actually won at a carnival. There may be hope.

I had my daughter ask about this little fish at work...where did he come from and when was he purchased? She said they bought him from either petsmart or pet supplies plus, this morning, before noon, and he was 15 cents. So, he may not have been through as much stress as if he were actually won at a carnival. There may be hope.

I must have mis-read where he came from. I hope he does wonderful and thrive in your care. :)

I must have mis-read where he came from. I hope he does wonderful and thrive in your care. :)

It was "carnival day" at work. Everyone had to pick a rubber ducky out of a baby pool and on the bottom was the "prize" that they won. Hers was a fish. That's why I told her to get the details on his "history" so I could gauge what his life has been like until he came into my care :wub: We have affectionately named him "Sunrise" because that's the name of the nursing home that she works at :wub:

She just told me that there are two more left at her work! My heart just broke a little bit more :cry And no one there knows a thing about goldfish :cry Now what? With a heart like mine I could open a carnival fish rescue shelter!!

A ten gallon tank should work well for the moment. You should be able to purchase one from a store or cheaper on CL. If you don't want to purchase equipment right now, just follow the qt guidelines linked above, keep up water changes, and feed lightly. Although he is a small fish, a smaller body of water will necessitate more water changes since his waste will foul the water more quickly. Added that he has no cycled filter to dispense of harmful toxins, a ten gallon tank will provide a much needed buffer. Of course this would be a temporary arrangement. You may be able to find 29 gallon tank from CL for cheap and that would house him for awhile. Or, you could qt the fish and upgrade your main tank since a 30 gallon tank for two goldfish is overstocked as is. You could also put an ad in CL offering the fish for free, maybe a fellow fish keeper will take the little guy in? I know I would if I had the tank space. You never know..

Edited by marka83

A ten gallon tank should work well for the moment. You should be able to purchase one from a store or cheaper on CL. If you don't want to purchase equipment right now, just follow the qt guidelines linked above, keep up water changes, and feed lightly. Although he is a small fish, a smaller body of water will necessitate more water changes since his waste will foul the water more quickly. Added that he has no cycled filter to dispense of harmful toxins, a ten gallon tank will provide a much needed buffer. Of course this would be a temporary arrangement. You may be able to find 29 gallon tank from CL for cheap and that would house him for awhile. Or, you could qt the fish and upgrade your main tank since a 30 gallon tank for two goldfish is overstocked as is. You could also put an ad in CL offering the fish for free, maybe a fellow fish keeper will take the little guy in? I know I would if I had the tank space. You never know..

I thought I was ok with these two fish being in a 30 gallon tank for now. They are about 60-65 grams each. I do about a 90% water change every five days or so and have two filters that together filter 345 gph. My tank is impeccably clean, and all parameters are A-OK! I was under the impression that I was at my limit with these two fish, but that I just couldn't add any more. Am I wrong? What size should they be in? I don't want to have to increase the size of my tank every year!!

I think you're right. I think this site recommends at a minimum 20 for the first fish and an additional 10 after. Yearly upgrade won't be necessary, when you're ready just go as big as you can afford, have space for, and can stand to maintain.

I think you're right. I think this site recommends at a minimum 20 for the first fish and an additional 10 after. Yearly upgrade won't be necessary, when you're ready just go as big as you can afford, have space for, and can stand to maintain.

that was the old recommendation :P we now generally recommend 15-20 gallons per fish, with 20 gallons per fish really being the ideal, 15 gallons per fish if they are little peanut sized guys.

Ultimately, you need to upgrade when you see your fish outgrowing their tank ;) For juvenile fish a 30 gallon may be fine for quite awhile, if they continue to grow, space gets tight, and you are seeing your nitrates get higher and higher, then it's time for an upgrade. My two fish have gone from a 29 to a 40 to a 75 and I am now saving for a 180. You will know if/when you need to upgrade I think.

that was the old recommendation :P we now generally recommend 15-20 gallons per fish, with 20 gallons per fish really being the ideal, 15 gallons per fish if they are little peanut sized guys.

Ultimately, you need to upgrade when you see your fish outgrowing their tank ;) For juvenile fish a 30 gallon may be fine for quite awhile, if they continue to grow, space gets tight, and you are seeing your nitrates get higher and higher, then it's time for an upgrade. My two fish have gone from a 29 to a 40 to a 75 and I am now saving for a 180. You will know if/when you need to upgrade I think.

Never thought about using rising nitrates as one indicator! Sweet.

Never thought about using rising nitrates as one indicator! Sweet.
Rising nitrates is a really good indicator, but it's actually pretty common to not have nitrates in a tank AT ALL. I, for one, had none even when I was very overstocked and doing much smaller water changes, and I still don't have nitrates in any of my tanks. I have 2 graveled tanks, 1 sanded tank and 1 bare bottom tank. Sharon is collecting data on this phenomenon, and it's more common than I had thought - I had thought I was alone in this. There are bacteria that consume nitrates; some people have them, and others don't. I just hope people who have these bacteria don't use the lack of nitrates as a reason for reducing water changes or increasing the bioload, because there are so many other benefits of regular water changes (to reduce TDS, keep pH consistent, replenish minerals, etc.).

IMO, in other words, excessively high nitrates should be a reason to increase maintenance, but lack of nitrates shouldn't be a reason to cut back on maintenance. [emoji1]

Edited by *Amanda*