12 inch Oranda - He goes by "Titan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 45 gallon certainly does not seem big anymore. :rofl

Always remember that your fish have a possibility of outgrowing your tanks! Don't skimp out on size :rofl

• Supporter

i am not one to judge others when they're talking size of their fish. i have video of 30cms Oranda from my supplier's store. i was absolutely shocked when i saw them that i had to take a video. when playing the video back, they didn't look so big and i was a little disappointed in that. however i know what i saw, i know i was shocked and please excuse my one cuss word in the vid. call me a liar if you like.. i don't care, it's what i know i saw.. and here is the vid.. most of you know, my hobby was all about keeping giants, a few Ryukin giants from this stock you will see, made it into my tanks.

I noticed a few things as Titan hit 12 inches. Due to his wen covering his eyes, he roams a lot less, but he still adventures around the tank. He finds food with little problem. He has a lot of force and a lot of strength. The odd time that i am working inside of the tank cleaning, and i push him gently out of the way, I can feel the raw power in his frame. At this size he produces waste that would rival a small mammal. I sopt clean his waste every chance I get, or my filters are overwhelmed.

All of your fish are beautiful. The size variety in goldfish is amazing. I tend to think that I have an oranda that is 'the appropriate size for an oranda with good care' and he is probably around 4 inches (sl) :rofl

All of your fish are beautiful. The size variety in goldfish is amazing. I tend to think that I have an oranda that is 'the appropriate size for an oranda with good care' and he is probably around 4 inches (sl) :rofl

Thanks, I think some fish are genetically pre-disposed to great size. I have a ranchu who eats well and is long lived, but is only 3 inches - he probably came from a small mom and dad.

Thanks, I think some fish are genetically pre-disposed to great size. I have a ranchu who eats well and is long lived, but is only 3 inches - he probably came from a small mom and dad.

I suspect this is the case too.

Actually, he probably didn't come from small parents. In any goldfish spawn you will find fish that are very tiny and those well above average size, regardless of the size of the parents. The very small fry include some that have defects that affected their growth and some that are perfectly healthybut just small. Breeders have tried to produce "miniature" goldfish by selectively breeding small goldfish and it hasn't worked. You can get a strain that's a little smaller than average, but not much.

Actually, he probably didn't come from small parents. In any goldfish spawn you will find fish that are very tiny and those well above average size, regardless of the size of the parents. The very small fry include some that have defects that affected their growth and some that are perfectly healthybut just small. Breeders have tried to produce "miniature" goldfish by selectively breeding small goldfish and it hasn't worked. You can get a strain that's a little smaller than average, but not much.

Interesting. I just assumed that you could probably breed for size.

One would think so, but consider that for show purposes in any animal other than those that are intended to be "miniatures," the bigger the better. A big beautiful animal is just more impressive than an equally fine animal that is smaller. Yet I know of no evidence that goldfish are bigger now than they were in the past.