12 inch Oranda - He goes by "Titan

My fish that was this size was only half a pound. It would be interesting to see how he comes out when you weigh him.

I would just use your hands to get him out. Uding nets is potentially damaging to the fish.

Then i guess he's half a pound. He just looks heavy.

I think i'll just leave him in the water! No need to weigh him. :)

You weigh him in the water. Just grab a large enough bowl or icecream tub, fill it with water, weigh that, then add the fish and subtract the water weight. It's not very stressful on the fish at all. He will only be out of his tank for a minute or two at most. :) I do it every few months to make sure I am feeding my fish correctly, as you only need to feed 1% of the fish's body weight per day if you're looking to maintain his size and growth rate.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fish that was this size was only half a pound. It would be interesting to see how he comes out when you weigh him.

I would just use your hands to get him out. Uding nets is potentially damaging to the fish.

You weigh him in the water. Just grab a large enough bowl or icecream tub, fill it with water, weigh that, then add the fish and subtract the water weight. It's not very stressful on the fish at all. He will only be out of his tank for a minute or two at most. :) I do it every few months to make sure I am feeding my fish correctly, as you only need to feed 1% of the fish's body weight per day if you're looking to maintain his size and growth rate.

Interesting. Still seems like he would thrash about. in my 30 plus years of fishkeeping, i've never done it.

i'll take your half pound estimate. :)

Interesting. Still seems like he would thrash about. in my 30 plus years of fishkeeping, i've never done it.

Only if he's dramatic or not often handled. Alternatively you could scoop him into the container and transfer him that way, but then the wright could be off a bit.

It's something more recent, just like a lot of our methods here. :)

Only if he's dramatic or not often handled. Alternatively you could scoop him into the container and transfer him that way, but then the wright could be off a bit.

It's something more recent, just like a lot of our methods here. :)

Never handled. He's like a wild bull. Though I have a jinkin hybrid that is as mean as a bag of nails.

• 1 month later...

You know, i'm thinking i may have the largest Oranda kept in an aquarium. Could this be?

Probably not.

I have an oranda/telescope, about 2.5yrs old, who is tipping 7 inches, 10inches nose to tail.

He is still a baby, so I'm sure there are bigger.

Oranda are one of the larger breeds of fancy I believe, and although yours is a good size, he is far from a behemoth. Just the size he should be getting too with the correct care.

I think that might be a little over-stated. While I agree this is not record-beating, it's much more than "the size he should be ... with correct care." He's much larger than average. With the very best of care, some fish will be well below average in size. I thought my Tiny Dancer was misnamed because, while she was small, she had a big mouth and was aggressive about getting her food. She was bound to be a big one. At three years of age she is a whopping 2" sl. She's been in the "big fish" pond for two years. She gets her share of the food, but just doesn't grow.

There are two major measurements of fish. The total length (tl) includes the tail. This is not useful in goldfish, because the tail can range from 1/5 of the total length to 2/3 of the total length. I urge everyone to use the standard length (sl) which does not include the tail. But whichever you use, please, Please, PLEASE, indicate which you are using by putting (sl) or (tl) after the measurement.

You know, i'm thinking i may have the largest Oranda kept in an aquarium. Could this be?

Probably not.

I have an oranda/telescope, about 2.5yrs old, who is tipping 7 inches, 10inches nose to tail.

He is still a baby, so I'm sure there are bigger.

Oranda are one of the larger breeds of fancy I believe, and although yours is a good size, he is far from a behemoth. Just the size he should be getting too with the correct care.

I've rarely seen Orandas like mine. But perhaps i dont get out enough :)

I think that might be a little over-stated. While I agree this is not record-beating, it's much more than "the size he should be ... with correct care." He's much larger than average. With the very best of care, some fish will be well below average in size. I thought my Tiny Dancer was misnamed because, while she was small, she had a big mouth and was aggressive about getting her food. She was bound to be a big one. At three years of age she is a whopping 2" sl. She's been in the "big fish" pond for two years. She gets her share of the food, but just doesn't grow.

There are two major measurements of fish. The total length (tl) includes the tail. This is not useful in goldfish, because the tail can range from 1/5 of the total length to 2/3 of the total length. I urge everyone to use the standard length (sl) which does not include the tail. But whichever you use, please, Please, PLEASE, indicate which you are using by putting (sl) or (tl) after the measurement.

I agree. I have a 4 year old Ranchu that eats like a horse and has the same care as Titan for the most part. He is only 3 inches.

I'm sorry but if you want to make claims about a foot long oranda and then say it could be the largest aquarium kept oranda in existence you at least have to be willing to put the fish in a bowl with a tape measure and weigh it. That fish doesn't loom any bigger than my Oranda. Believe me when I tell you that after 7 years of plowing snow, when someone says they got a foot of snow on their driveway, I will go there with a tape measure and it will be closer to 6". They say they have 4", it's closer to 2". Same applies to fish.

I'm sorry but if you want to make claims about a foot long oranda and then say it could be the largest aquarium kept oranda in existence you at least have to be willing to put the fish in a bowl with a tape measure and weigh it. That fish doesn't loom any bigger than my Oranda. Believe me when I tell you that after 7 years of plowing snow, when someone says they got a foot of snow on their driveway, I will go there with a tape measure and it will be closer to 6". They say they have 4", it's closer to 2". Same applies to fish.

Ah well, you'll have to trust me then. If not, I'm not upset. :) I measured it. :)

I'd love to see you photograph him next to a ruler, or on a scale. I know I am repeating myself from earlier, but it would be a good way for us to judge his size.

I'll try and do that. But its a measurement from tip of the tail to tip of the nose, so it looks like my length is not proper.

I'd love to see you photograph him next to a ruler, or on a scale. I know I am repeating myself from earlier, but it would be a good way for us to judge his size.

I'll try and do that. But its a measurement from tip of the tail to tip of the nose, so it looks like my length is not proper.

It's not by standard.

It's not by standard.

I get it. So i will revamp my proclamation - I have a non-standard - 12 inch from tip of nose to tip of tail Oranda.

If someone has a bigger non-standard Oranda, please post!

I say if it's a foot long nose to tip of tail, that's great too. Nice big fish. If you see my posts you know I'm a skeptic in general. No offense intended. But I still wanna see it hahaha :)