Scale / body fungus or "rug burn"?

Look at the white furry scales on Milli's side.
MillieScales0.jpg

detail:MillieScales0detail.jpgMillieScales1.jpg

I wondered if it was a type of body fungus. But then I realized that it was only on the sides of my 2 mature female eggy mommas. Could it be caused by the male fish breeding behavior? I've never noticed anything violent and I observe them closely. Friction or fungus?

Below is Queen B.

QueenB_scales1.JPG

Is this something I should be concerned about or is it normal?

• Supporter

not sure what this could be. i wouldn't think it is fungus though. if you could answer the questions below, that will be helpful to us :)

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

It beats me Helen. I'd like to catch her and treat her in the QT tank that Goldie just came out of but she's having none of that. No net for her, thank you. She'd rather stay fuzzy.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(POND) 0

• * Nitrite Level(POND) 0

• * Nitrate level(POND) 0

• * Ammonia Level(POND) 0

• * Nitrite Level(POND)0

• * Nitrate level(Pond) 0

• * Ph Level, Pond (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0

• * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.1

• GH 11

• KH 7

• Phosphate 0

• Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

• * Water temperature? 68-70

• * Pond size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 900 Gallons

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 3500 gallon per hour tetra bio filter with UV

• * How often do you change the water and how much? I add 100 gallons per 10 days, vacuum up mulm off bottom once a month

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 7 days ago, 100 gallons

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 17, various.

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime: 9.84 mL for each time 100 gallons added

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? Home made gel food with Hikari and ProGold (brine shrimp, blood worms, solient green + edamame, oatmeal ect.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, but issue pre-dates adding Goldie Hawn last Saturday, and she doesn't have the problem.

• * Any medications added to the tank? no, just the UV for ick.

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. none in 9 months.

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no, but 'tis the breeding season. Occasional chasing.

Edited by mysterygirl

I tread the pond for flukes just in case. 9 grams Praziquantel for 900 gallons. A whole lot of shakin' goin' on.

I also thoroughly cleaned the bio-filter. SO many black worms in there. I'm thinking midge larvae? I'll post some photos. I'm pretty sure the fish eat them. but eewwww.

• Supporter

sorry hun, i have missed seeing your replies :(

i do think that it has much to do with chasing. the side of her appears like a scrape and outer part of the slimecoat has become somewhat funky as a result. she does not look puffed up or raised scales on the affected side to indicate any illness etc. in fact, to me she looks quite good and the damage appears relatively superficial.

the white scales i think is just colouring, if anything, it's because the orange colour has scraped off. yes, our fish's colour grows on top of the scale, like a film. when a fish scrapes hard against something, the colour can be removed as a result of that collision. the fins however, they have colour through their texture.

i look forward to the photos of the black worms and if you can, some photos of your fish so that we can compare from a few days ago.

sorry hun, i have missed seeing your replies :(

i do think that it has much to do with chasing. the side of her appears like a scrape and outer part of the slimecoat has become somewhat funky as a result. she does not look puffed up or raised scales on the affected side to indicate any illness etc. in fact, to me she looks quite good and the damage appears relatively superficial.

the white scales i think is just colouring, if anything, it's because the orange colour has scraped off. yes, our fish's colour grows on top of the scale, like a film. when a fish scrapes hard against something, the colour can be removed as a result of that collision. the fins however, they have colour through their texture.

i look forward to the photos of the black worms and if you can, some photos of your fish so that we can compare from a few days ago.

I agree with Helen about the white spots. One of the fish I had shipped to me lost several scales in the bag (maybe not even the whole scale - possibly just the exterior colored part?), and white spots remain where the scales were. They're the same size as a scale would be. Edited by *Amanda*

Do you think she might have scraped herself on something?

I'm hoping that is ALL it is, it does look "fuzzy" like an abrasion. Queen B's is probably an older version of the color on the scales being rubbed off.

sorry hun, i have missed seeing your replies :(in fact, to me she looks quite good and the damage appears relatively superficial.

No worries Helen - I should have used a quote.

Oh good. The boys are very well behaved actually. I've never noticed breeding behavior that had me concerned for any female's well being.

More often than not they are unbelievably adorable.

QueenBShintoCouple.JPG

Queen B and her boyfriend Shinto

So here are those worms I promised.

freshwaterLarvae.jpg

Largest is about 1cm

And here is a video! eeeeeeeew

These are quite a bit bigger than the tiny red non-biting midge larvae that cling to my plants. And they're too big for mosquito larvae. Dragonfly larvae? In the very early stage, before they have legs? I'll research it but someone might know.

Edited by mysterygirl

some photos of your fish so that we can compare from a few days ago.

No change on either that I can notice. I'll try to take one soon.

I hope it's nothing serious and that she will be okay.

Your fish are beautiful.

Thanks so much Cheryl :)

going by the video, they do look like midge larvae..

there is nothing to indicate that they are harmful to the fish :)

According to them, they're delicious.

Sounds like they'll be okay and it isn't fish ebola.

Given how I ignored my Ich until it took the lives of two of my fish I wanted to be VERY proactive here, even though I couldn't identify the issue on my own. She hasn't always been "furry", but it doesn't look like any fish fungus photos I've seen online. Thanks for your help Helen! And Alex too!

Helen here's what I can tell you.

1. It has been there for a while. A month? So it is not repairing itself or getting worse, just "the same." Grrrrr. What IS it?

2. It is on both sides, below the lateral line and both gills have a white spot too.

3. She is acting totally healthy and normal. No change in her behavior

a. except she doesn't like me staring at her for long periods of time, it makes her nervous and she removes herself from the gang for a while until I lose patience.

That is why I can't get good photos, she is aware of when I am focusing my consciousness on her. :doh11:

4. I treated the pond with Prazi because I didn't know what else to do and I never had before - thought it would be good for everyone in the pond except the parasites.

Here she is last July:

Milli.JPGMilli2.jpg
Here she is now

Edited by mysterygirl

• Supporter

would you like to salt dip her? it seems that whatever the problem is, the fact that she is still in very good health, perhaps she just needs to rid her slimecoat and regrow it? during this time though, i would prefer she be in QT until we a satisfied that her slimecoat had grown back.

salt dip every other day until you have completed 3 salt dips. then observe in QT for 7 days or until we're happy that her slime coat has grown back. this entire course should see her in QT for approx 14 days.

• Supporter

are you absolutely sure that she isn't going through a colour change? a lot can change with a goldfish in 12 months. (my question does not relate to the funky slimecoat, just the missing colour)

the scales here look quite healthy, actually.

QueenB_scales1.JPG

are you absolutely sure that she isn't going through a colour change? a lot can change with a goldfish in 12 months. (my question does not relate to the funky slimecoat, just the missing colour)

the scales here look quite healthy, actually.

The big photo is Queen B, a different fish. That might just be how her scales are, if they ever had color perhaps it has rubbed off along the way. I'm glad they look healthy to you.

Regarding Milli, the "fuzzy fish" Oooh. Okay. I hope I can catch her for the salt dip. I have all but given up on it. :krazy:

You might want to pause this thread for a week or two until I can accomplish it, it could take a while. You can mark it solved since there isn't immediate danger to their health.