Sand Tank!

Hey guys!

I recently got about 30 pounds of sand to put into my 55 gallon tank so I can start planting stuff, but I have a question! How long does it take for sand to settle? I put it in yesterday afternoon and my water is still pretty cloudy; don't worry though, the fish and all of my decorations are safe in another tank while their home gets prepared. Also, this is live sand that I bought, not play sand. But yeah. Any idea how long it takes to clear up?

Did you rinse the sand well beforehand? If I remember clearly, my sand almost cleared completely overnight.

Reading that you bought "live" sand makes me wonder if any biological bacteria that may exist in the sand is causing prolonged cloudiness. If it doesn't clear up by tonight or tomorrow morning, I'd do a large WC. :idont

• Supporter

Are you running a filter? If you are id recommend a fine prefilter and useing a water clarifier. This would work well especially if you dont have fish in the tank yet. This will remove particulate matter. Niw if the problem is a bacteria bloom or algae bloom it may not help with that but in time it should balance and clear on its own.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If it's live sand that's usually used in a saltwater tank then you will need to cycle the tank or increase water changes. Live sand, like live rock, has dead stuff in it. The organic stuff rots and gives off ammonia which starts your cycle. Live sand will usually have some critters too, like fire worms. WC will help. I'd keep an eye on water parameters for awhile too.

Yup, threw the clarifier that came with it into the tank.

@Georgia, the bag instructions said to just drop it straight in, apparently it's got live stuff in it. I think the lack of clearing might actually be bacteria, as suggested by marka. I'll keep an eye on it for a week or so. I also picked up a brand new canister filter, so I can start running that filter as well to get the cycle back up and moving again. I don't intend to drop the poor fishies in there until I know 100% that it's safe for them! :D

@Georgia, the bag instructions said to just drop it straight in, apparently it's got live stuff in it. I think the lack of clearing might actually be bacteria, as suggested by marka. I'll keep an eye on it for a week or so. I also picked up a brand new canister filter, so I can start running that filter as well to get the cycle back up and moving again. I don't intend to drop the poor fishies in there until I know 100% that it's safe for them! :D

curious what brand it is? and why you chose live sand? I only question because I haven't ever heard of anyone using live sand in anything other than a saltwater aquarium ;)

curious what brand it is? and why you chose live sand? I only question because I haven't ever heard of anyone using live sand in anything other than a saltwater aquarium ;)

Me either. When I was looking around for sand I thought the live sand looked the coolest, but thought it was only for SW tanks. Aragonite is also neat-looking (it comes in a really pretty pale pink), but I have no reason to raise the pH in my tank ... it's already like 8. [emoji4]

The options for regular sand are pretty limited; it would be cool if they could make it in more colors like they do with gravel. I regret buying white sand now as the poop looks very obvious. I'm adding Activ-Flora Lake Gems to it, which will also help the plants I'm getting.

Edited by *Amanda*

I wish i had the brand name off hand, but I kinda.. threw the boxes away <_< woops. I went through the reviews of the product and quite a few people mentioned freshwater tanks, so I was like.. eh what the heck. Either way it's been four days now and the tank is still pretty cloudy.

http://i.imgur.com/S5mkwkt.jpg

Hopefully another day or two should do it.