Bottom Sitting on side, but trying hard to get up.

ohmonah

Hey. I've had my goldfish nami for almost 2 years now. I want to say he's a mix of oranda and fantail.

I recently moved from NJ to Maryland in feb, and since the move he's been sitting on the bottom of the tank on his side.

At first first he wasn't really eating and all the bottom side sitting on sand was giving him sores. I immediately moved him into a quarantine tank. After about a month ish of treatment and cotton swabs, his sores on the gills and body were healed, but he's still on his side.

Its now been about 5 months? His health has been increasing, then decreasing and the only reason I haven't euthanized him is because I feel like he's trying so hard to get back up, but can't because he just sinks to the bottom? It seems like his body weight is too much him to get back up. He also has grown very very little compared to my other goldfish since I moved.

I recently came back from working out of town, and when I came back he looks really thin and weak, and I've been feeding a mix of JumpStart and Medigold from goldfish connections as well has rephasy and he is a lot more lively, but just seems like he can't get off his side.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level- 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level 0ppm
    • * Ammonia Level 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank 7.5ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tap 7.5ppm
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwaster master drops test kit
      • * Water temperature? unknown
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 5months 29gal
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 7days 75-80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2days 80-90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 (in the video I temporary had 2 2" fantails in the tank, but nami has been in "quarantine" by herself for 5months
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? seachem Prime.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3 times a day. Lately feeding him medigold, jumpstart, hikari baby sinking pellet, rephasy gel food.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? n/a
  • * Any medications added to the tank? aquarium salt, api stress coat, api, melafix
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. in feb, when nami first started bottom sitting and not eating, because of the open sores, I did alcohol swabs to kill the bacteria. I did this only about twice for only the new sores. Over the past couple months I have used a combination of melafix, pimafix, aquarium salt and stress. I also have done a anti-bac bath (7day process) from goldfishconnections and that helped a lot when nami had open sores. I started used melafix/pimafix again recently because I noticed some red streaks on his tail. His health has getting better, than dropping, which is why I haven't given up hope. He seems full of more strength at the moment and trying to swim rightside up, but it seems like the body weight is too much for him to lift himself up. However, he has grown very very little (a few .01ozs) in the past 5 months, compared to my other goldfish.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - used to have grains of salt? previously when he was bottom sitting on his side, a few grains of sand would be embedded into his body. I removed them and removed the sand from the tank. Used to have sores and fungus on gills but that was healed after some time and through the anti bac bath. Currently has some (few) red streaks on tail and small amount of finrot on one corner of the tail.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc. Bottom side sitting for the past 5 months. Originally was not eating as much but now eats very well when dropped food near him.

I am currently trying to upload a video, but will post one soon ; 3; ~

I don't want to give up hope on nami :C

I reported your post, hopefully someone will be by to help soon. We now have less moderators than before but there are others who may also be able to give you their input. For now I would just keep the water as clean as possible. :hug

I'm so sorry that she's unwell.

Edited by Chai

Thanks for the video. I was on vacation and unable to watch videos on my phone.

It looks as though the swim bladder, or at least part of it, has deflated. At this point I don't think there is anything you can do to fix it. If he seems to have a good quality of life (eating well, etc), it's best you keep him in a barebottom tank so as to not irritate his body. If he is able to compete for food (handfeeding would probably be the best bet), he could rejoin your other fish in the main tank. However, if you feel his quality of life is poor, we can also guide you through euthanizing him. I am by no means suggesting you do that, just putting it out there as an option. We will support you in whatever decision you make. You know your fish much better than we do. :hug

Let us know.

I reported your post, hopefully someone will be by to help soon. We now have less moderators than before but there are others who may also be able to give you their input. For now I would just keep the water as clean as possible. :hug

Huh, I didn't know that. Who left?

No one really left. Alex stepped down to helper as he will be starting law school soon and won't have as much time to dedicate to the site. :( But, obviously, he will help out whenever he can. :D

No one really left. Alex stepped down to helper as he will be starting law school soon and won't have as much time to dedicate to the site. :( But, obviously, he will help out whenever he can. :D

OK, whew! I was scared for a minute there. It would be such a shame to lose Alex or any of our moderators; you guys and gals are such great assets to this forum. But that's great that Alex is going to law school. I am very happy to hear he is not leaving us; he has walked me through several crises and has taught me a lot since I joined last fall. [emoji4] Edited by *Amanda*

I agree. Alex is fabulous. Let's not make Lisa jealous though--she's great, too!

--

OP, I completely agree with the assessment regarding the swim bladder. There are members here, myself included, who have kept their fish for quite a while, under these circumstances. :) I did choose to eventually euthanize my Cleo, but she could no longer eat unassisted, and her position was truly impacting her quality of life. :hug

Your darling is lovely, and I hope that he continues to be happy. :thumbs:

I agree. Alex is fabulous. Let's not make Lisa jealous though--she's great, too!

--

OP, I completely agree with the assessment regarding the swim bladder. There are members here, myself included, who have kept their fish for quite a while, under these circumstances. :) I did choose to eventually euthanize my Cleo, but she could no longer eat unassisted, and her position was truly impacting her quality of life. :hug

Your darling is lovely, and I hope that he continues to be happy. :thumbs:

Everyone on this forum is great. [emoji4] What I love most about Koko's is that diagnoses are not made without having all the facts, which has helped me learn so much more and ensures appropriate treatment. When I was "forum shopping," I noticed a lot of places where a poster would say something like, "my fish is hanging near the surface" and give no further information, and people would respond by recommending a list of medications! Once I saw the care and attention to detail here at Koko's, I knew this forum was the one for me. [emoji1] Edited by *Amanda*

Ahhh I had this thought in the back of my mind. Its ok. I think nami lived a really good 2 years. Thanks so much for giving me all the information and advice.