Sign in to follow this  
Saralyn

New Fish has Dropsy

Hello,

I just wanted to add that while the General Cure is a very suitable treatment to start, I think that the better treatments contain a broad-spectrum antibiotic in addition to the Metronidazole. So, I would go ahead and order some Metro-Meds ASAP.

Mikey is right in that you must remove the non-affected fish when you begin to treat with the Metro-Meds. The GC is fine, and should help the other fish as well.

there was no mention of Metro-Meds.. or removing the fish in relation to Metro-Meds, since the product's shipping is higher than the OP wishes to pay... :blink: if you could read the whole thread before commenting, that would be awesome...

for the record. since we were not using Metro Meds.. Mikey is not right. thank you,

Sorry for the bad wording, Helen. I simply meant that until it's time for Metro-meds, which I am recommending ASAP, both fish are fine with GC and Epsom.

When we switch to MMs, the fish does need to be separated.

That is all. :)

Edit: I was typing on my phone earlier, so I wanted to added a little bit more here, now.

I gave Mikey credit because I wanted to give a pat on the back for being ever mindful that when we treat fish, it's really important to exercise QT. When in doubt, QT. I did NOT imply that anyone else was wrong, and in fact, I endorsed the Epsom + GC treatment for BOTH fish, and specifically stated that both would benefit from the treatment.

Edited by dnalex

Wait up here. I thought metro powder was being added. That's why I said that.

Edited by Mikey

Mikey, let's you and I back out of here, and leave this thread to the more experienced moderators. :) Sometimes, when there are multiple hands helping, it can get confusing, and cause error.

Mikey, let's you and I back out of here, and leave this thread to the more experienced moderators. :) Sometimes, when there are multiple hands helping, it can get confusing, and cause error.

Okay :)

Update on my fish, I call her Peach and her tank mate is Daisy. I got home just now and examined her. A LOT of her scales have went back down and she's looking less bloated. I went ahead and went with API General Cure since it was the only thing I could find quickly. If her scales have gone back down for the most part does she have a good shot at getting better?

Update on my fish, I call her Peach and her tank mate is Daisy. I got home just now and examined her. A LOT of her scales have went back down and she's looking less bloated. I went ahead and went with API General Cure since it was the only thing I could find quickly. If her scales have gone back down for the most part does she have a good shot at getting better?

this is great news :)

each fish handles an infection differently.. some can and will show more severe symptoms than others. did you find and have you treated with Epsom already?

dropsy fish in today's world stand a good chance of recovery.. the only uncertainty is whether or not the infection will return to the individual again. in most cases it does, in very few cases, it doesn't. all we can do is treat for the symptoms which present us and hope for the best :)

I'll have my Mom pick up the Epsom salt tomorrow. If she doesn't I will. Out of everything that's what I forgot. I had it on my mind when I ran into someone I knew. (I'm extremely scatter brained :doh11: ) The only thing I had done was a 100% water change and that seemed to help a lot. I'm guessing the previous salt that was in there was making it worse. I just added the General Cure in hopes it will help even more. I did the recommended dosage on the box, one packet per 10 gallons. Should I add more or just follow directions for now?

following directions on the package for now, is fine :)

aquarium salt has been known to assist in retained fluids where the issue is already present. what we're trying to achieve is the reverse. Epsom will help us to achieve this at a faster, but comfortable rate.

Not going to lie. I woke up today expecting the worst, but she was fine and swimming around. Can I feed her normally or does anything need to be changed? I just gave the fish a little bit of food just now because I hadn't fed her for two days since I wasn't exactly sure what was going on where she was bloated.

i know exactly what you mean, those same thoughts i have experienced countless times :hug

yes, since we are treating the water (and carbon removed from filter(s) if any), it is fine to feed as she needs to maintain her strength. if you can, just keep it light :)

would you be able to update us with topview photos since you have noticed a significant change in her from beginning till now? :)

Glad your fish is bouncing back.

Sara, I apologize for seeing this post late. I have Metro-Meds that I can ship to you, if you are in the U.S. (Tapatalk doesn't show people's locations). If you are, AND if the mods still recommend that your fish receive them, feel free to PM me your address along with how much you will need. I ordered mine just 2 weeks ago, but sadly, my fish died a week before I received them. I can ship them to you for free.

I'll get a picture up soon. That is if my camera doesn't decide to upload all 2500+ of my pictures again...

And it has decided to upload all the pictures again. :doh11:

Edited by Saralyn

Fullscreencapture714201462025PM.jpg

SAM_3790-001.jpg

Edited by Saralyn

You've done a fantastic job, look at that difference! Hang in there Saralyn, glad to see Helen helping and im sending you some moral support from here!

Thanks. I think Peach has done a good job fighting off the dropsy. I'm really hoping she will be "in the clear" soon. I'm grateful I'm able to get help and support on here. :thumb:

I hope she continues doing better. :hug

that's awesome :) i would be continuing plans to treat with the General Cure :) sometimes symptom of raised scales can occur from stress. stress caused by changes in environment, transporting, new diets etc.. it could have been any one of those things or from a mild infection.. i believe the mild swelling you saw came from the salt. some fish do not handle salt very well at all, even when they are good in health. you're doing a fantastic job with her, keep up the good work :)

It makes it a little difficult for me considering I don't know anything about their past. I'm still confused as to why someone would leave these two rather long fish in a fish bowl outside with only 3 inches of water. You wouldn't believe how happy they were when they were finally put in a tank with clean water. There's no way the girls could have been in that bowl very long. I'm still curious as to why these people left the fish behind. :idont

Hope you don't mind me adding this picture. This was the first picture I had saw whenever I was asked if I could take the fish that had been found.

a15c199a-26a0-4ad3-a9be-178905af81d9.jpg

Hope you don't mind me adding this picture. This was the first picture I had saw whenever I was asked if I could take the fish that had been found.

a15c199a-26a0-4ad3-a9be-178905af81d9.jpg

it's a cute pic.. i love how you can see their eyes underneath. and their full frames up top :)

Sorry for the bad wording, Helen. I simply meant that until it's time for Metro-meds, which I am recommending ASAP, both fish are fine with GC and Epsom.

apologies are always appreciated and accepted, Alex, but never required, my good friend. my response to you was reactionary to the OP's initial post where she ask's if there is a 'more affordable choice' to MetroMeds. firm in my mind that this was not an option for treating from post one, there was no further mention of MetroMeds.

Edit: I was typing on my phone earlier, so I wanted to added a little bit more here, now.

I gave Mikey credit because I wanted to give a pat on the back for being ever mindful that when we treat fish, it's really important to exercise QT. When in doubt, QT. I did NOT imply that anyone else was wrong, and in fact, I endorsed the Epsom + GC treatment for BOTH fish, and specifically stated that both would benefit from the treatment.

i know that you were not implying that anyone else is wrong. and it was not taken that way. since we know that Metronidazole and Prazi can only do good when used correctly (even on healthy fish and treated as a preventative measure), i feel that his contribution in this instance is not correct. i just think that the 'pat on the back' which you felt to give Mikey on this thread and in this instance, may have potential to confuse those reading in determining what treatments we have decided to use. members who have little to do with medicines we use on our goldfish and are looking for education through our treatment threads do not know that 'Metronidazole' is not 'MetroMeds' but it's only one ingredient from MetroMeds.

and yes, i did discuss with you and gained your opinion re the General Cure prior to advising the OP to commence treatment... your opinions and advice to me are highly valuable and educational and our discussions are always appreciated.

also, we are able to feed MetroMeds to a fish in a shared tank.. we've advised in the past that the OP can isolate the fish in a breeders basket or colander to achieve this. if she was able to get them, this is what i would have advised she do given that the fish would be treated by General Cure and i would use the MetroMeds as a metronidazole booster to the pineconed fish.. but, given the latest positive developments, i don't feel it's necessary for that booster.

apologies are always appreciated and accepted, Alex, but never required, my good friend. my response to you was reactionary to the OP's initial post where she ask's if there is a 'more affordable choice' to MetroMeds. firm in my mind that this was not an option for treating from post one, there was no further mention of MetroMeds.

i know that you were not implying that anyone else is wrong. and it was not taken that way. since we know that Metronidazole and Prazi can only do good when used correctly (even on healthy fish and treated as a preventative measure), i feel that his contribution in this instance is not correct. i just think that the 'pat on the back' which you felt to give Mikey on this thread and in this instance, may have potential to confuse those reading in determining what treatments we have decided to use. members who have little to do with medicines we use on our goldfish and are looking for education through our treatment threads do not know that 'Metronidazole' is not 'MetroMeds' but it's only one ingredient from MetroMeds.

and yes, i did discuss with you and gained your opinion re the General Cure prior to advising the OP to commence treatment... your opinions and advice to me are highly valuable and educational and our discussions are always appreciated.

also, we are able to feed MetroMeds to a fish in a shared tank.. we've advised in the past that the OP can isolate the fish in a breeders basket or colander to achieve this. if she was able to get them, this is what i would have advised she do given that the fish would be treated by General Cure and i would use the MetroMeds as a metronidazole booster to the pineconed fish.. but, given the latest positive developments, i don't feel it's necessary for that booster.

Alex and Helen, I just wanted to let you know I have plenty of fresh Metro-Meds should the need ever arise. I live in California so I can ship to anyone in the U.S. for free. I just wanted to throw that out there in case you ever come across someone who needs them urgently. I didn't get them in time to save my fish, but would be grateful if they could be put to good use and save someone else's fish.