Sign in to follow this  
Saralyn

New Fish has Dropsy

A week ago I woke up to a friend from school messaging me. She said her neighbors had moved and they had left two goldfish behind - in a bowl - outside. I told her I would take them because where else would they go? They only had about three inches of water in the bowl. The fish are about 4-5 inches long with the tail, they're comets. They were extremely skinny. I currently have them both in a 30 gallon QT ( I had added 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon and added Prazi ). A few days ago one of the fish started looking puffy on one side and today she is puffy on both sides with scales slightly raised. This bring me to a few questions. I heard dropsy can be a sign of kidney failure. Could it be possibly the previous environment she had took a toll on her? She's wanting to eat and seems to be close to her tank mate so I don't want to lose her. I've heard it is extremely hard to "cure" dropsy. I know a lot of people feed their fish MM's on here, but it is $20 with shipping. Is there any other more affordable choice? If this just started a few days ago will she have a shot for me to order medicine in time?

Water Test:

Nitrite: 5.0 ppm

Nitrate: Between 20-40 ppm

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm

pH: 7.2

I've never had my Nitrate and Nitrite above 0.

When I put them in the 30 gallon five days ago all of the water was 100% fresh. Do they need the tank drained twice a week until QT is over?

I'll go ahead and do a 100% water change and see if I can get her picture.

when you do the waterchange, please do not add any salt back if the fish are displaying dropsy. instead, could you provide some top view photos? that would be helpful :)

SAM_3783-001.jpg

SAM_3784.jpg

She looks much worse than I thought. :no:

would you be able to buy Metronidazole from your local LFS?

after the 100% water change, if you have it at hand, please add some epsom salt. the dose for Epsom is 1/4 teaspoon for ever 10 gallons, but it will be ok for you to start with 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons, this for the first 3 or 4 days and then reduce the dose to 1/4 teaspoon.

I'm sorry she isnt feeling well. Is she still eating?do you have any metro meds on you? You will need it. Also find metro powder. I believe Seachem makes it. Is the other like this too or just her? Also, please get some plain no addatives Epsom salt. You can find it at mostly any drug store.

Check your tap levels and post them here, please.

Sniped :P

Helen, isn't there also another fish in the tank?

Edited by Mikey

I don't have a local fish/pet store. Unless PetSense might have it? I don't recall seeing it though.

Helen, isn't there also another fish in the tank?

yes, there is.

I don't have a local fish/pet store. Unless PetSense might have it? I don't recall seeing it though.

have a search online for stores near you.. and to save some time, it might be best calling ahead to see if they have the products..

She's been eating and seems to be unhappy I haven't fed her today. I don't have MM's. Yes, I have another fish with her but she is doing fine. I don't have Epsom salt, but I'll try to find it.

Shouldn't that fish be removed or this fish be removed into his/her own tank?

Shouldn't that fish be removed or this fish be removed into his/her own tank?

i don't see why.. the epsom won't harm either fish. neither will Metronidazole.

Oh, okay. I just thought if the fish didn't need metro, it should be given metro? :hmm

Do you think a vet clinic would have Metronidazole that's is suitable for fish?

What about the API General Cure? I know I've seen it at PetSense. Ingredients: Metronidazole-250 mg and Praziquantel-75 mg per packet.

Edited by Saralyn

I believe veterinarians have metro? I found this on eBay if you can't find it locally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331242120313

Do you think a vet clinic would have Metronidazole that's is suitable for fish?

we use vet clinics as the last resort since they are so expensive... esp here in AU where you cannot get meds for pets without paying a consultation fee. but if this is not the case where you are, there's no harm in ringing to see how much it will cost to be supplied Metronidazole by a vet.

What about the API General Cure? I know I've seen it at PetSense. Ingredients: Metronidazole-250 mg and Praziquantel-75 mg per packet.

i do not believe there is enough Metronidazole in General Cure to resolve this issue.

Any idea on her chances of making it if I have to order a product?

I have metro meds I can send. They wouldn't be there until Tuesday I think, though. :( they are also well over a year old but have been in a Zip lock bag and in my fish cabinet so I don't know if they are good or not. I haven't used them in about 2 or so months, but they worked when I did use them.

Let me try to see what I can find tomorrow first. Thank you for the offer.

She's been eating and seems to be unhappy I haven't fed her today. I don't have MM's. Yes, I have another fish with her but she is doing fine. I don't have Epsom salt, but I'll try to find it.

Walmart, Target, grocery stores, and drug stores will all carry Epsom in the pharmacy aisles. It's very cheap, but you have to be careful to get something without added scents, or foolishness. :) This is the brand that I typically use, but in the past have also bought from CVS. :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10423855?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

I have metro meds I can send. They wouldn't be there until Tuesday I think, though. :( they are also well over a year old but have been in a Zip lock bag and in my fish cabinet so I don't know if they are good or not. I haven't used them in about 2 or so months, but they worked when I did use them.

Mikey, they are no good anymore. I would throw those out.

-

Saralyn, I hope the fish gets better soon. That is one heck of a case of Dropsy. :o

I think that contacting your local veterinarian for some pure metronidazole tablets would be a good way to go. Even if you can get a few tablets to last until the MetroMeds from GoldfishConnection arrive to you, that would be awesome.

Hope she feels better.

That is one heck of a case of Dropsy. :o

we've successfully treated dropsy at more advanced stages than this where fluid sacks were many and protruding through raised scales, some even filled with blood. lets not cause panic with statements like this. each case is to the individual and the outcome is never certain.

That is one heck of a case of Dropsy. :o

we've successfully treated dropsy at more advanced stages than this where fluid sacks were many and protruding through raised scales, some even filled with blood. lets not cause panic with statements like this. each case is to the individual and the outcome is never certain.

I know that well.

I didn't believe my statement would cause any panic. Apologies if it did.

Hello,

I just wanted to add that while the General Cure is a very suitable treatment to start, I think that the better treatments contain a broad-spectrum antibiotic in addition to the Metronidazole. So, I would go ahead and order some Metro-Meds ASAP.

Mikey is right in that you must remove the non-affected fish when you begin to treat with the Metro-Meds. The GC is fine, and should help the other fish as well.