Eggshells good for ammonia?

I've never had much problems with ammonia since I run understocked and keep my water changes pretty consistant, but I have heard that crushed eggshells (from boiled eggs) or simply plopping a boiled egg into the water will help with high ammonia consistant with overstocking. Or at least, if you overstock isn't really, really bad.

I haven't tried this myself, wanted to see what everyone else thought.

The first page of aGoogle search shows people trying to use it to add calcium. Is that what you mean. I don't believe adding garbage to a tank could reduce ammonia. It would probably raise it.

Was curious about it, that's all. I work at a petshop now and have three customers that swear by it. Like ya'll, I would never do it myself, but simply asked out of curiosity. As far as info, it's by word of mouth.

You can test this pretty easily. Add a little ammonia to a clean container of tap water. Measure the concentration of ammonia. Put washed eggshells (egg white contains protein that can become a source of ammonia) in the container and measure the ammonia concentration daily until you have an answer.