Large lump on Picassos tail

Test Results for the Following:[*]* Ammonia Level(Tank)

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tank)

[*]* Nitrate level(Tank)

[*]* Ammonia Level(Tap)

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tap)

[*]* Nitrate level(Tap)

[*]* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Will be testing the water later, not home right now.

[*]* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6

Other Required Info:[*]* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops

[*]* Water temperature? 82f

[*]* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30G, running for 1yr+ (kept the cycle going while there were no fish in it)

[*]* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Concorde 180

[*]* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50%

[/size][/font]

[*]* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last Monday, 100% before he was moved into it. Water change due for tomorrow or Wednesday ( depending on how bad the heat gets tomorrow)

[*]* How many fish in the tank and their size? One, about 2-2.5 inches

[*]* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and baking soda to control the pH , copper is naturally in our water as well

[*]* What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra sinking goldfish pellets mixed with Omega One pellets and ProGold, in the morning

[*]* Any new fish added to the tank? Nope

[*]* Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Full Prazi treatment last July/august, nothing since

[*]* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just this large lump on his tail.

[*]* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? A few times he's darted across the tank when I walked into the room, but that could also have been me startling him.

Hey guys! I noticed the other night while admiring the new plants I bought for the tank that what has previously been just a bump/lump on Picassos tail, which had always been there, seemed to have grown larger and slightly fuzzy. I decided to keep an eye on it yesterday instead of posting just to see what happened, and it got neither better nor worse. I had just taken a video of Pic a few days back, and his tail was fine. Saturday I went to the LFS to pick up some sand for my betta tank, and ended up coming home with a few more plants( two Anubis nana and a Rubin Sword). After I got those cleaned and Into the tank, I was admiring how well those swords looked, and that's when I noticed this thing.

Video from the other day: ( note his left fin, near the base of his tail)

Pictures taken earlier today:

anabyset.jpg

2ehatuva.jpg

tanuqemy.jpg

Any ideas what this is? I can get better pictures when I get back tonight if need be.

Edited by SynthHermit

Hope he feels better. [emoji307]

We recommend maintenance Prazi treatments every 6 months. One of the mods can better determine whether this spot is fluke-related, but treating twice a year is a good thing to do either way to keep the fluke population in check.

Oh, I was under the impression that once the initial fluke treatment was over that it wouldn't need to be repeated, especially after learning about what effects the copper we have in our water had.

a better up close pic might be helpful if you can get it, but can you describe it? Is it cauliflower/warty looking or smooth, is it pink or red etc?

It is generally recommended that prazi treatment be repeated every 6 mos to a year for just 1-2 rounds, but I do not think that the lump has anything to do with flukes.

Sure, I can try to get a better picture in the morning.

It's tan-ish in color, I don't see any pink or red areas. It's almost like an old food pellet became stuck to her tail, it's that kind of texture. Not really fluffy,but not smooth or warty either.

Okay, try to get a better picture if you can :)

Given what I can see in the pics so far it is most likely one of two things, lymphocystis (tumor that is caused by a virus) or a run of the mill tumor. Either way there is not much you can do in terms of treatment, but if it is lymphocystis it is good to know because it is potentially contagious (does she have a tank mate in the 30 gallon?). But a clearer picture will help us to determine which it might be.

Neither one of those sound good. :(

Currently Picasso is the only one in the 30G. Her new friend Alice is still in QT right now.

Neither one are necessarily a terrible thing, mostly effects the aesthetics of the fish more than anything :)

Neither one of those sound good. :(

Currently Picasso is the only one in the 30G. Her new friend Alice is still in QT right now.

Neither one are necessarily a terrible thing, mostly effects the aesthetics of the fish more than anything :)

That's a relief to hear. I did a little google search on lymphocystis while I'm waiting for my camera to charge (Seems like every time I go to use it, the battery is dead :/), and in comparing the pictures I saw of it, it seems very similar to what Pic's got going on.

It may also just be me, but the lump seems a bit smaller today. I'll have better pictures or at least an updated video on what this thing looks like soon.

Hope he feels better.

Thank you!

I've been trying my best to get a good picture, but the little sucker keeps moving too fast or the light isn't bright enough for a fast shutter speed, resulting in blurring. It does seem like its starting to get smaller and less noticeable already.

Assuming that it is lymphocytis, is there anything I can do to prevent Alice from potentially catching it when she moves into the tank in a couple weeks?

The virus is mildly transmissible, primarily if the area ruptures or 'skin' cells in the area slough off, so there is a chance that the new fish May catch it if it is lymphocystis and you put them together. Only real way to prevent transmission is to keep them in separate tanks and prevent cross contamination (ie separate water changers)

Some fish can carry the virus without being symptomatic. Symptoms may be brought about in these cases by environmental stressors, and can occasionally go away on their own - keeping water conditions pristine and environmental stressors to a minimum seems to help in some cases.

Thanks for the help Tithra, I really appreciate it. c:

Since I don't have the equipment,space,nor funds to keep them separate, I'm going to have to take my chances when I put them together. Hopefully Alice won't catch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very well! The lump is essentially gone, there's only a small raised spot where it used to be. It seems it cleared up almost as fast as it showed up.( She's also starting to get a nice belly,I might add xD)

Very well! The lump is essentially gone, there's only a small raised spot where it used to be. It seems it cleared up almost as fast as it showed up.( She's also starting to get a nice belly,I might add xD)

Great news!!