Finally found some eggs before my pond crew ate them :)

Kayla102968

Sharon - I've noticed that some of the fish I thought were matte now have more color on them and they are getting darker. So they will probably be nacreous like you say. I've also read about Pseudo matte fish and mock metallic (so confusing). Is it possible to tell just by eyeballing a fish if they are one of these types...or do you have to know the genetics? Sometimes I think that Smokey might be a mock metallic since her top scales are very matte looking (without a shine). She was born in a pond with shubunkins and sarasa comets only.

You have to know the genetics. I don't think Smokey is a mock metallic. My wild-colored fish look that way too.

Oh...good to know. The only wild colored goldfish I have seen (other than koi/goldfish hybrids) have been shiny bronzy brown with easily viewed scales...not that opaque almost brown/black.

Edited by Kayla102968

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on babies. I took a few pics of the fry in the pond (there are 19 total, but only a few are friendly enough to come over when I feed...the rest hide until I leave). They aren't very clear since they are very fast moving and I had to use flash which faded their colours out, but you get a general idea :).

There are 6 in this picture: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/faa2f20d-083e-4098-8bc7-b804b7ffdf8a_zps3a485224.jpg

3 and a half in this photo:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/04c2f154-93f7-44dc-ae9c-1ef7bb7758f5_zps2632b43d.jpg

8 in this photo: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_1884_zps6f320417.jpg

10 in this pic: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_1883_zps617ea435.jpg

There seems to be a lot of orange coloration and the daddy has no orange at all...a tiny bit of red surrounding his black splotches. Could this help me determine who the mom was? Smudge has no orange either...Smokey is all black...and Elmo is red/orange. Does it mean Elmo was the mom or is goldfish genetics way more complicated than that?...lol.

Edited by Kayla102968

Since putting out the babies in the 300 gallon pond...I've only gotten it filled to about 200 gallons since it was on uneven ground...the water parameters have been quite hard to manage. I have 19 fry out there but still end up with 0.5 ammonia within 2 or 3 days. I end up having to do large water changes, hich is difficult on the 300 gallon since I have to do it with 2 hoses and it still takes forever. Then filling it up takes a long time too (using one hose attached to the laundry room sink so I can get the correct temperature).

I would like to put the 30 gallon bucket filter on with the laguna pump...but I'm wondering if this is safe for the littler fry? Some of my fry are still only 1/2 an inch long total. It would sure make it easier to dump the water out through the filter than siphoning it with a hose.

I don't think I'm feeding the fry too much. I only feed them twice a day and only what they will eat in a few minutes...and most of the time only about half of them show up for food.

You could drill small holes in a bucket and place the pump in there with a mesh cover if you are worried about the suction.

Lanuga pumps usually have dials to manage the flow speed don't they? You can always turn the flow down if you are worried. Out in the pond I'm sure they will grow fast and you won't have to worry for long :)

No, the Laguna pump is not safe for fry. It's a solids-handling pump that sucks in anything that goes through the slots. You can get a little pump like this that has a sponge prefilter to keep the fry out. The low power will provide further protection of the fry.

Una, some Laguna pumps may have dials, but not the one that Kayla has.

• 2 weeks later...

The babies are growing...some much faster than others. I have 1 fish that has a curved spine, but I found her in the pond when I was transferring them over and thought I'd give her a chance anyway. She is a good eater but is still small. There is one fish smaller than her...but he seems fine on the outside, so I don't know why he is growing so slowly. There is also a fish that has a very short, fat body, but then it has a long skinny tail part...I'm not sure why it grew that way...I hope she'll be okay too. The other 16 seem just fine in various sizes and colours and shapes. Here is a pic showing the short bodied shubunkin and the one at the bottom of the photo with the curved body: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_2004_zps2d30a748.jpg

Here is another photo: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_2005_zps34f622ba.jpg

Here is a video of the fry: http://vid1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/MVI_1997_zpscbc28c5b.mp4

• 4 weeks later...

I somehow managed to gain one extra fry in my tank...so now I have 20. I counted often and never counted over 19. Every one of them is very friendly and they all come to eat when I feed them now. I love the differences in colour and I don't know how I'm going to decide which ones I will keep. For sure I'll be keeping the little one that has a twisted spine...I would love to keep all of them to see what colours they develop as they grow. In my experience, shubunkins keep changing their colours...some of my adult shubunkins have lost black and others have gained more black...it is so interesting.

Here is Smudge when I first got her...she is the one with the black smudge on her white face (3rd shubie from the left):

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_6932_zps0fb52110.jpg

Here she is now with a lot more black: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_1386_zps1b7d3a91.jpg

Here is Oreo when I first got him: He is the first shubie on the left: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_6956_zps45c72674.jpg

Here he is now...you can see his black is turning into red: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_1056_zps358fecc1.jpg

Here is a video of my fry from today:

Thanks for looking :)

I love the way your fish turn color. Mine just turn white.

Thanks Sharon :). I've been trying to find a pure white goldfish and can't find one locally so far (single tail). I was hoping that some of these babies would remain white metallic or matte but most seem to be getting dark spots on them. Of the 20 goldfish fry I have (40 eyes)...I only have one single eye that is not a button eye. What are the chances of that? There are some eyes that are part button and part metallic. When do shubunkins get that blue coloration? I can't see any blue on mine...only light black and grey and white. Could one of these colors become blue or should they have already developed the blue coloration?

Just catching up on this thread. Your fry are gorgeous. :thud

That is going to be a tough decision when the time comes as far as which to keep. Good luck!

How old are your kids? Are they interested in the "baby fish"? :idont

Thanks Lisa :). My boys are 5 and 6. My five year old is more interested in the big fish in the big pond...he likes to feed them and put his fingers in the water and let the fish touch him. The 6 year old has some sensory issues so he doesn't like the fish to get too close to him :). They also just got a new kitten...so they are excited about that right now.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a bad wind/cold storm come in and we lost our power for 2 days. Before the power outage the fry pond was at about 60 degrees (I did have a small heater turned on low in the tank). We had to leave our house since we had large branches falling and we were afraid any of the large trees in our yard may fall as well...so we went to a hotel. The temperature in our house fell to the 40's. It was 53 degrees after the first day and then we had 29 degree temperatures overnight. I just checked the fry pond and it is at 44 degrees...the filter did not freeze over...so that's good. I may lose some of the fry...I'm especially worried about the very little ones. I only saw a few fry when I looked, but I also have a terra cotta pot in there and there are still a lot of plants and I didn't want to bother them by moving things around. I did see the little curved spine fry (Ladybug) and she was sitting very still on the bottom, but when she saw me she started to move a little. I'm worried about her. I put some prime in this morning until I get a water change done this evening. I feel bad for them, but if they had been inside the house they would have gone from 70 degree water to in the 40's anyway (with a smaller tank volume...this happened to my big fish in a 45 gallon one year).

It is still going to be cold (nighttime 20's) until at least Sunday. Is the best thing to just leave them as they are and just continue not feeding them and doing small water changes? Would there be any benefit to turn the heater up a little (it's set on 68 degrees..which is low... and goes up to 93 degrees... which is high. Of course in an outside 220 gallon pond, low only really increases the water temperature by 8 to 10 degrees which is really just preventing the filter from freezing). I don't think there are any more windstorms to come, so loss of power should not be a problem.

I sure don't like this time of year when it comes to goldfish :(.

They should be OK as long as you don't feed. You can feed the big guys about 1/8th of what they eat in summer, but let the babies nibble on algae until the temps are above 60F.. I wouldn't turn up the heat. Actually, I would turn it down so you reduce the chance of further wild temperature swings.

Thanks Sharon.

I've only been feeding the big fish about 54 Progold pellets total per day (it has been 60 degrees in pond) until the last couple of days where I've fed them nothing. I have 9 big fish. I usually don't feed the big fish anything at all when it is under 50 degrees; then I feed Hikari wheatgerm food between 50 and 55. Would it be okay to feed the big adults some Super Green repashy at 43 degrees and see if they even want it?