Finally found some eggs before my pond crew ate them :)

Kayla102968

Sharon - I've got my 55 gallon filter almost done but neither Home Depot or Lowes has an adaptor for the pump that changes 1" or 1 1/4 inch to 1.5" for the 1.5" tubing. Can you link me to someplace where I could purchase this online?

I got the soilent green repashy at my LFS and my babies really like it (they didn't have spawn and grow).

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laguna says this about the Maxflo 1350: "It comes complete with a Universal "Click-fit" coupling PT-636 for 3/4, 1 & 1-1/4 inch (19, 25 & 32 mm) hosing, a [/size]1-1/2 inch (25 mm) diameter "Click-fit" hose coupling,"[/size]

Did you not get all the attachments?

Laguna says this about the Maxflo 1350: "It comes complete with a Universal "Click-fit" coupling PT-636 for 3/4, 1 & 1-1/4 inch (19, 25 & 32 mm) hosing, a [/size]1-1/2 inch (25 mm) diameter "Click-fit" hose coupling,"[/size]

Did you not get all the attachments?

Maybe not...I better check, thanks.

That's the easy way to do it. If they give you a hassle, here's what you do:

Take the multi-sized barb fitting to the plumbing department and find the largest sized tubing that will fit on it. Something like this:

60600791-e065-44b8-9cca-9f19c1f1b486_400
If they sell it by the foot, a foot is all you need.

Let's assume this is 1 1/4" ID tubing.

Get two of this barb from the swimming pool department at Lowes (or order on line from Lowes and pickup at the store.)

Take the two barb fittings to the plumbing department and hold them up with the threaded ends pointing at one another and say, "I need to connect this to this." Unless you got a kid who was wandering through the department, you should get what you need immediately.

Either they will have a female threaded coupling like this only 1 1/2 in. or they will have two of these.

In the first case, you screw the barbs into the coupler, put one barb in the 1 1/4 inch tubing which attaches to your pump, and put the other barb into your 1 1/2" tubing.

In the second case, you glue a short piece of pipe into the slip ends of the adapters and you have a coupler.

I called and was told that the Laguna max-flo 1350 does not come with the 1 1/2" fast click adaptor...only the 2000 does. They said to just use a small length of 1 1/4" hose and then get a connector to attach it to the 1 1/2" hose...something like I show in the second e-bay listing above...just with one end at 1 1/4" and the other end at 1 1/2".

My fry outside do not come swimming over for food yet (the ones in the house already know the 'feed me' dance). In fact, most of the food I put in there they aren't even interested in and don't eat. I end up sucking it out later. If they do see me dropping crushed flakes, crushed pellets or repashy into the pond...they don't even care...they just keep eating the algae growing on the sides of the tub.

This weekend I'm going to move Smudge back over to the 700 gallon (she'll have been on mm's for 14 days then) and I am going to put the inside fry outside with the other fry in the 300 gallon. Are they big enough that I could use the small harbor freight pump and the overflowing 5 gallon bucket, or the Laguna 600 with the 30 gallon pump? Or should I just use a bubble bar? I am going to cover them with the greenhouse this winter and slightly heat the water for them.

I'll post fry pics later...photobucket isn't working right now.

It looks like most of my babies are going to have a lot of matte coloration...most have button eyes and are light colored. Quite a few also have black streaks in their tails. I hope it's not true that matte goldfish are weaker and don't live long :(. I have some that have interesting splotches of coloration. One has 2 big black splotches on either side of his face and covering both his eyes like patches. Another looks like a neopolitan with yellow face, dark pink head, white patch and then orange at the end...and a black tail. I was switching them to a new pond today to get all the babies back into one pond again and took a photo of a few of them in a bucket. The neopolitan one is the bigger one on the left side of the photo. There is also one with a crooked tail but she swims fine. I only have a total of 19 fry left of the 43 I put out in the pond. I had one fry that was quite tiny who died inside, and I removed only one tiny fry in the pond that had died...so I'm not sure what happened to the rest. Maybe the tadpole...before I found it and moved it...ate them :(. 19 fry is plenty for me though...I will still have to find homes for many of them.

Here is the pic:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_1866a_zpsbdc6dfc0.jpg

Cuties! :D

for what it's worth, I have a matte lionhead that I've only had a year, and he seems to be the strongest of the rest in the tank! :flex:

Wow you have so many! What are you going to do with them all?

As for matte fish, they are usually culled as they are an unwanted genetic base fish. The have been many discussions on whether they live less or not and I think it's just cause they are usually kept in secondary conditions with other poor quality fish. Home bred fish are usually MUCH stronger than fish shipped from the fish farms :)

You have done a great job! :hug

I don't know to what extent matts are culled, but it's certainly not because they are genetically undesirable. The cross of a matt fish with a wild-colored metallic produces 100% calico nacreous fish, which is the ideal. The only reason breeders don't keep matts for breeding is that they believe, rightly or wrongly, that these fish are poor breeders -- producing few offspring.

Just because you don't see metallic scales doesn't mean the fish is a matt, particularly when they are in a pond. I have several nacreous fish on which you can't see any metallic scales in the pond. Among the fall babies I had two all white, pink gilled, button eyed babies that I was sure were matt until I put them in an aquarium to find just a few metallic scales.

Thank you Una :). I have a 700 gallon pond with 9 fish, so I will choose a few of the babies to join them. The rest I will be finding homes for. I also have two 300 gallon ponds, but I prefer to only have one pond to take care of. It is easier for me with my two young boys and 2 water-loving golden retrievers :). 19 is a lot of babies, but it could have been a lot worse :)...I thought I brought in 30 eggs and it ended up being 45 fry somehow...and I left a LOT of eggs in the pond. They were all eaten. No babies hatched in the 700 gallon.

Sharon - I've noticed that some of the fish I thought were matte now have more color on them and they are getting darker. So they will probably be nacreous like you say. I've also read about Pseudo matte fish and mock metallic (so confusing). Is it possible to tell just by eyeballing a fish if they are one of these types...or do you have to know the genetics? Sometimes I think that Smokey might be a mock metallic since her top scales are very matte looking (without a shine). She was born in a pond with shubunkins and sarasa comets only.

Thank you Una :). I have a 700 gallon pond with 9 fish, so I will choose a few of the babies to join them. The rest I will be finding homes for. I also have two 300 gallon ponds, but I prefer to only have one pond to take care of. It is easier for me with my two young boys and 2 water-loving golden retrievers :). 19 is a lot of babies, but it could have been a lot worse :)...I thought I brought in 30 eggs and it ended up being 45 fry somehow...and I left a LOT of eggs in the pond. They were all eaten. No babies hatched in the 700 gallon.

Sharon - I've noticed that some of the fish I thought were matte now have more color on them and they are getting darker. So they will probably be nacreous like you say. I've also read about Pseudo matte fish and mock metallic (so confusing). Is it possible to tell just by eyeballing a fish if they are one of these types...or do you have to know the genetics? Sometimes I think that Smokey might be a mock metallic since her top scales are very matte looking (without a shine). She was born in a pond with shubunkins and sarasa comets only.

I'm a little envious of you being able to have them outside. I just read that's the best way for them to reach their full color potential, and if they aren't outside during the formative months, they will never get the color they could have. :)

You have to know the genetics. I don't think Smokey is a mock metallic. My wild-colored fish look that way too.

I'm a little envious of you being able to have them outside. I just read that's the best way for them to reach their full color potential, and if they aren't outside during the formative months, they will never get the color they could have. :)

I hadn't heard this. Interesting :).