Finally found some eggs before my pond crew ate them :)

Kayla102968

So this morning I finally found lots of eggs in my pond and brought some inside to hopefully hatch. They are yellow/orange in color and a lot smaller than I thought they would be (no wonder I never saw them). Plus I was always looking on the sides of the stock tank and on the bottom...never thought to look underneath the plants...lol. Plus I just got new plants last night and there were actually long roots for the eggs to hold onto...not just tiny little nubs that weren't eaten by the goldfish :).

Other than food for the fry, what else do I need to have ready for when/if they hatch? Right now I have the eggs in a tiny sterilite container. I have a 20 gallon long tank...would I be better off starting fry in a smaller tank...what size? Do they need a filter/air stone? The only filters I've ever used have been AC's and my big bucket filter outside, so I have no idea what I need in that department.

I'm very excited to see if they hatch. I have no idea which two of my nine fish are the parents...so it will be fun to see what colors they become if they hatch and grow.

Any suggestions/information is welcomed.

Here are a couple of photos of the eggs:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_9772_zpsde14aa4b.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_9774_zps81a77fa9.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_9766_zps326d0198.jpg

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! :D

My suggestion would be to raise them outdoors. Having the fry outside seems to be a little easier than keeping them indoors, and I personally like raising them in the same environment as their parents, even if it isn't the same pond. :)

All I did so far was this... since I have had fry only since the 19th of June.

• Keep the fry in 4-6" of water
  • Make sure the water is at least 70 degrees from adding the eggs through their growth, so that they don't get too cold to hatch
  • 100% water changes every other day, removing uneaten food within 5 minutes of feeding every day
  • keep some pond plants (I used baby water lettuces) in with the fry 24/7 so that they can feed on the microorganisms on them
  • don't add any filter or air stone until the fish have grown enough to handle the current

As far as the size of container, that will likely depend on how many hatch. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

TAA DAA! Use a micron filter for biodiesel floated directly in the parents' pond. It will keep the depth they can go to at 4", they will have the same water and maintenance schedule as their parents, you can load it with floating plants, for food and play time, as they develop. BUT, the mesh is smaller than a grain of salt, so it does allow for nice water flow, but the fry can't get out and the big fish can't get in. If it doesn't float on it's own (some do, some don't), just attach a narrow pool noodle or a bunch of fishing bobbers to the upper, outer edge. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-EZ-Strainer-micron-Biodiesel-Filtering/dp/B003EDZOTM/ref=pd_sim_k_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GEHCJEMSSG07WANE4MH

The plastics are HDPE (high density polyethylene), which is food grade:

"High density polyethylene (HDPE)
Milk, water, and juice bottles, yogurt and margarine tubs, cereal box liners, and grocery, trash, and retail bags.
GOOD: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones."

and the nylon monofilament filter inside is also food grade. :D

Edited by JamieMonster

TAA DAA! Use a micron filter for biodiesel floated directly in the parents' pond. It will keep the depth they can go to at 4", they will have the same water and maintenance schedule as their parents, you can load it with floating plants, for food and play time, as they develop. BUT, the mesh is smaller than a grain of salt, so it does allow for nice water flow, but the fry can't get out and the big fish can't get in. If it doesn't float on it's own (some do, some don't), just attach a narrow pool noodle or a bunch of fishing bobbers to the upper, outer edge. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-EZ-Strainer-micron-Biodiesel-Filtering/dp/B003EDZOTM/ref=pd_sim_k_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GEHCJEMSSG07WANE4MH

Milk, water, and juice bottles, yogurt and margarine tubs, cereal box liners, and grocery, trash, and retail bags.

GOOD: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones."

I really like this idea...especially since I'll be going away for 3 days a week from now and then another 5 days the first week in August (although my husband will be home). What would be the easiest idea to clean out their poops? I'm not sure how big, tiny fry poop is...lol. Does it pass through the mesh too?

I'm so excited :).

I really like this idea...especially since I'll be going away for 3 days a week from now and then another 5 days the first week in August (although my husband will be home). What would be the easiest idea to clean out their poops? I'm not sure how big, tiny fry poop is...lol. Does it pass through the mesh too?

I'm so excited :).

Sorry, I linked the wrong one, there. You want the 100 micron one, so the babies can't get out, when they're teeny. I also misspoke- a grain of salt is 40 microns, so the holes in the nursery would be a little more than 2 grains of salt- so, still pretty small.

The poop should fall through, when they are super small. The poop is also super small. You can order ones of different micron sizes, as well, so that the holes get bigger as they do, allowing for more material to be able to fall through the holes, and greater water flow in the nursery, as they need it. The idea of having a couple of them to switch out for cleaning, like you'd do with the tubs, is also a good idea. Transfer 'em over to the back-up, when the nursery looks dirty, and wipe it out with some pond water and a clean sponge. You could probably even do this with upgrading to larger micron sizes in the mesh, since I wouldn't imagine that the nursery would need to be cleaned for a week or two, and the babies will have gotten bigger, in that time.:)

Ok- the source on the product ad has a grain of table salt being at 140 microns, and another (scientific) source has it at 40 microns... well, 40 microns is about what can be seen with the naked eye, so it is super small, but still permeable. LOL.

I'm not 100% on if all of the poop will fall through. I'd just wipe it out with a clean sponge, and swish some clean water from the pond into it, to disperse everything. And, I'd probably even do this with the fry in there, and not even take them out.

Using this as a nursery was my plan for when I was going to spawn my butterfly teles, and has yet to be field tested. It will certainly work, but there will be a little learning curve with the smallest details.

Edited by JamieMonster

That it the COOLEST thing ever!! :nana

Congrats kayla!!! How exciting!! :D

Jamie, have you considered the parents being able to suck the fry out of the nursery?

I have heard of this happening with net breeders.

Hmmm...that can't be good.

That it the COOLEST thing ever!! :nana

Congrats kayla!!! How exciting!! :D

Thank you :). I hope they hatch. They are at 70 degrees, so I guess 3 or 4 days before I know? They still look really small to me. Wouldn't that be funny if they were snail eggs or something else :).

Jamie, have you considered the parents being able to suck the fry out of the nursery?

I have heard of this happening with net breeders.

I'm pretty sure the 100 micron mesh will be too small for that, apparently, it is smaller than a grain of table salt (140 microns). If it were a larger micron gauge, I would be concerned. It is also only net on the very bottom, and has hard plastic side walls. The mesh on the bottom, itself, is a bit more rigid, and pulled taut, unlike the HOS floppy, little net breeders from the LFS.

I'd keep the fry in a tub until they are at least free-swimming, just to be safe, but the mesh should be too small for them to fit or be pulled through.

So my goldfish eggs are yellow and I read somewhere that if they are yellowish they are not fertilized. Only the clear ones are actually fertilized. If this is the case I better go out and look for some more eggs that are clear. These are definitely yellowish.

Yap, if they are still clear there's still a chance! I think mine were yellowish too. Hopefully tomorrow you'll be able to spot some eyes. :D it was actually a lot of fun even before they hatched. I couldn't stop peeking. :rofl

I think I spotted eyes on this egg, but the eyes look oval and long (when the picture is enlarged) not like dots. Here is a photo:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_9846_zps40875034.jpg

It looks like a frog :).

Edited by Kayla102968

I think I spotted eyes on this egg, but the eyes look oval and long (when the picture is enlarged) not like dots. Here is a photo:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_9846_zps40875034.jpg

It looks like a frog :).

The eyes lust end up looking like teeny, black pin pricks, at first. Then a couple of days later, there's a teeny, black line across the top, which is their spine. It is super cool to watch them develop! Watch for teeny, little black dots, which can take a couple of days to see.

You are way ahead of me. I have never seen a fertilized goldfish egg. I saw some unfertilized eggs in an aquarium of all girls, and I have found lots of fry. The FL sun is so intense that it makes it hard to see anything small in the water.

I like Jamie's idea a lot. I have put tiny fry in a breeder box in a pond without any problem. There's always food for the little fry in a pond. I still put duckweed on top. I'm really big on little fry under duckweed. :)

I was watching an egg that was on the bottom of the sterilite container and could see the eyes and spine. Then I saw it squirm! I turned on my camera and filmed it. It happens really quick and isn't that clear since it is through 2" of water, but I thought it was so cool. It looks like it was turning around in the egg. It happens at 6 seconds on the video. This was around 2 o'clock today, so technically only 1.5 days old. I drew a box around the area where the egg is on the video...it is easiest to see on full screen since it is so tiny :).

Can you see it?

Edited by Kayla102968

:Congrats: Kayla! :)

Thank you Alex. I am really excited :).

Yes, I can see it. Babies are fun.

It kind of scared me when I first saw it move. I didn't know you could see them move inside the egg (until I googled it) :). I didn't take all of the eggs out of the pond, there are still some in there higher up on the roots that the fish haven't found yet. I think I took enough eggs out to get at least a few babies I hope.

I think the baby is almost ready to break out! That's so cool.

I thought it was cool too :). It was only a day and a half old...unless the eggs were in the pond earlier and I didn't see them. Amazing how fast they develop.