Frankie is Swimming Funny and Surface Gulping

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) >5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2-8.4pH 14-16gh/kh
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2-8.4pH 14-16gh/kh
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api Master Liquid (Drops)
      • * Water temperature? 72
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons just over a month
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra 5-15 gallon (ordering a SunSun next paycheck)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 90% every 3 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago, 100&
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5, Three 1" albino BN plecos, One 3" (body) ryukin named Frankie and One 2.5" telescope eye named Castor
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead about 15 pellets two-three times a day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Frankie and the plecos
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? plecos have ich, need info on treating with canning salt please
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? I brought home a second fish and he is acting a little funny. He swims sideways and head-up frequently and this morning is surface gulping. He is a very compact bodied ryukin (he has the hump behind his head and everything) so I thought he may just be floaty but the surface gulping this morning makes me concerned. Castor is acting fine. I also need info on the amount of canning salt to dose for ich, please. I want to note, these fish will be moved to a 75 gallon within 5-6 months.

Could you include video, please? Is this the main tank that everyone's in, or a standard new-fish Quarantine tank?

Also, I would like to note: I think that the 75 will be great for the goldfish. However, you're very cramped with the plecos in the 20 too. Is there a way you could move the plecos somewhere else until all of the fish can be housed in the 75? 20 gallons may be able to house a fish for a couple months at most, but 5 heavier waste-producers will necessitate daily huge WCs and may lead to the plecos becoming aggressive due to lack of space.

Edited by ChelseaM

The salt dosage for Ich is 1 Tablespoon of Aquarium salt per gallon or 3/4 Tablespoon canning salt per gallon. This will be a 0.3% salt concentration. If your tank is cool and you have a heater, I would also raise the temperature to 78 F to help speed up the Ich's life cycle. Just make sure you have good aeration. Leave the salt at this concentration for at least 2 weeks. I also recommend keeping the salt in for a week after the last white spot is gone.

When you add the salt, add it in 3 doses. 1 Teaspoon per gallon every 12 hours until you are up to 3 Teaspoons per gallon (1 Tablespoon per gallon). Make sure to dissolve the salt in water before adding it to the tank.

Edited by jmetzger72

I would also recommend backing off on the feedings to once a day until you move these guys to the 75 gallon.

Hope Frankie feels better.

Could you include video, please? Is this the main tank that everyone's in, or a standard new-fish Quarantine tank?

Also, I would like to note: I think that the 75 will be great for the goldfish. However, you're very cramped with the plecos in the 20 too. Is there a way you could move the plecos somewhere else until all of the fish can be housed in the 75? 20 gallons may be able to house a fish for a couple months at most, but 5 heavier waste-producers will necessitate daily huge WCs and may lead to the plecos becoming aggressive due to lack of space.

I can't get a video because he stops whenever I'm near the tank. The plecos are only an inch long and my water parameters show that they aren't an issue. I am not concerned about my stocking, I am concerned about the behavior from this new fish. This is the main tank as I don't have a QT nor room for one.

I can't get a video because he stops whenever I'm near the tank. The plecos are only an inch long and my water parameters show that they aren't an issue. I am not concerned about my stocking, I am concerned about the behavior from this new fish. This is the main tank as I don't have a QT nor room for one.

Sometimes, if you try to shoot a video from behind a piece of furniture, or a doorframe, you can catch them doing the troublesome behavior. These are very clever fish. :lol2

They aren't a testable issue yet. I worry though that they will become one quickly. I am concerned about the stocking due to the future, as well as that you have introduced a fish with something wrong with it into a crowded tank. This means that each fish has a higher risk of developing the same issue due to lack of quarantine and overcrowding. This is why it is concerning relative to the issue at hand. If we need to medicate for something as well, you may need to move the plecos as they don't handle some meds nearly as well as your goldfish will. So be aware of that.

To get a video, another option is to turn on the light over your tank and shut out all other light in the room. The fish will not be able to see you unless you are in the square of light around the tank. Fish are sneaky and we just have to out-sneak them.

The BN passed away and I decided not to replace them. Frankie, for whatever reason, stopped surface gulping and swimming weird.

Sorry to hear about the BN but very glad that your Frankie is doing well!