Please help, goldfish lost an eye

eriyin

Hope your little guy is feeling better !

Another thing you could also do to make sure he gets food is to try to teach him to hand feed. It may take him awhile,but once they learn it's worth it. My two picked up on it really fast.

• Supporter

it's still quite raw and the salt will assist in that wound healing nicely. i would probably be keeping salt in for another 7 days. it really needs to heal well before your fish makes it back to the main tank and salt will definitely speed up the healing process in a good way.

i dropped a fish onto a tile floor which caused all sorts of sight problems. although he did not lose his eye, but it totally deflated. during his beaten up days, he too had problems finding food and he was not trained to hand feed. so, i took the time to bond with him as well as educate him.

what i did is that i took a clove of garlic, squashed it a little and then cut a split in it. that was enough to make it juicy. then, i sank my hand and the clove of garlic into the water and made him follow it to the surface. he would peck at it thinking it was food. when he was pecking at the clove of garlic at the surface, i hand fed him some gelfood :) that made him used to my hand being there as well as learning to associate my hand with food.

there are other ways to teach handfeeding. this worked well for us :)

it's still quite raw and the salt will assist in that wound healing nicely. i would probably be keeping salt in for another 7 days. it really needs to heal well before your fish makes it back to the main tank and salt will definitely speed up the healing process in a good way.

i dropped a fish onto a tile floor which caused all sorts of sight problems. although he did not lose his eye, but it totally deflated. during his beaten up days, he too had problems finding food and he was not trained to hand feed. so, i took the time to bond with him as well as educate him.

what i did is that i took a clove of garlic, squashed it a little and then cut a split in it. that was enough to make it juicy. then, i sank my hand and the clove of garlic into the water and made him follow it to the surface. he would peck at it thinking it was food. when he was pecking at the clove of garlic at the surface, i hand fed him some gelfood :) that made him used to my hand being there as well as learning to associate my hand with food.

there are other ways to teach handfeeding. this worked well for us :)

Good idea, I'll have to try that. My new fish dart the other way when I put my hands in the tank, which is great when I'm using the gravel vac, but not so much when I'm trying to teach them to hand feed. With Mario's fish, it's about 50/50; some love my hands while others seem fearful of anything in the tank.

I've tried hand feeding over the last few days and he comes up to my hand no problem but the pellets i use are too small so he gives up after a while. Suggestions?

His eye is also starting to heal around the edges! I'm so grateful for everyone's support and advice, this community is so nice :)

That's so great to hear!

The pellets I feed my guys sometimes are also a bit small, so I either drop it as soon as they come up, or more often wait to drop it until they give a nibble or two to my fingers.

Just and update: He's doing really well, the edges of his eye are kinda brown so i think that means it's healing. He's also getting better at finding food so i think he'll do fine in the main tank. Thanks for everyone's help and support!