Please help, goldfish lost an eye

eriyin

I am freaking out!!! I was changing my water and my butterfly telescope bumped into the siphon and its eye came shooting out into the sink! I feel so bad, I almost cried! What do I do?? Can it live a normal life?

Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all zero.

Can you post a pic please?

Separate him from any other GF you have please. A 10 gallon tank or food safe storage bin will be fine along with an airstone.

Once we see the injury, we can advise further.

I've just put him in another tank with an airstone. He seems pretty glum at the moment, but he ate some food. I feel soooo guilty.

IMG_6760_zps545a694d.jpeg

Where should I go from here?

Do you have aquarium salt? If so, I'd like you to add salt to 0.1%, so 1 tsp per gallon. Dissolve it first then add it to his tank. It will be crucial to keep the water pristine while this heals. I would recommend daily large (over 50% and even up to 100%) WCs if your tap and tank pH are within 0.5 of each other.

Let's see if the other mods would like you to go higher with the salt or perhaps go with an antibiotic. Let us know what meds you have and/or are available to you.

Hang in there. :hug

I'm so sorry :hug I hope he feels better!

Next time, put some type of net or media holder bag over the siphon to keep the fish out, but still allow the water to pass though.

Also, please fill out this chart when you can.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Oh no ... I'm so sorry. The good news is that, although it is horrific, plenty of goldfish have gone on to live long, normal lives after losing an eye. As Lisa said, pristine water is a must, as well as separation from other fish to ensure he is left alone and any medications the mods advise. I hope he gets better soon. All it takes is a second for something like this to happen, unfortunately.

I am so sorry!!!! :o This must seem horrific for you right now but please don't beat yourself up. It can't change anything and won't help you help your fish. The Mods will have great advise and walk you through this.

Just added the salt. Do i need to add salt everytime i change the water? How long should I keep him in there?

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank) 0ppm
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit
* Water temperature? 20 degrees C
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 200L, running for about a year
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Sunsun external filter, 2000L an hour
* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 80%
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 small goldfish, upgrading tank soon.
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Peas and Hikari Lionhead pellets, twice a day
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? No
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment: Never used any medication or salt until now.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Missing eye :(
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Staying at the bottom and not really moving.

Thanks for you support guys!

Yes, add back however much salt you removed during the WC. So if you do a 50% WC add back 50% of the salt you added today.

Time will tell how long he needs to stay in there. He will need to be healed up so the other fish don't picky him.

Actually, I'd like for you to go ahead and bring the salt to 3 teaspoons per gallon, or 3g/L at your earliest convenience. I would also like for you to go and see if you can find TriSulfa at your local pet shops and get it.

The biggest concern is the chance of the wound getting infected, so changing water daily and making sure you have the antibiotics on hand are the things to do to help things along.

Hang in there.

Just changed his water and upped the salt dosage. I think my local pet store has tri sulfa, i'll go pick some up when I can. He looks much better today.

There is still a big gaping hole where his eye used to be, will it stay like that or will it heal over smoothly?

Just changed his water and upped the salt dosage. I think my local pet store has tri sulfa, i'll go pick some up when I can. He looks much better today.

There is still a big gaping hole where his eye used to be, will it stay like that or will it heal over smoothly?

It will eventually fill, but whether it will fill up completely, I am not sure. I think it will. :)

I'm glad he's doing better and looks better. :)

He's doing a lot better! Swimming normally, but having a hard time finding food. I'm worried about how he is going to do in my main tank.

He's doing a lot better! Swimming normally, but having a hard time finding food. I'm worried about how he is going to do in my main tank.

Sight, while certainly employed when available, is not a requirement for finding food by goldfish. Vision-impaired goldfish such as telescopes, celestials, and others have no problems detecting food.

You are right that if he's in a tank with other fish that are not visually impaired, he may have some problems competing for food at the beginning. However, I think he will adapt rather quickly. :)

Sight, while certainly employed when available, is not a requirement for finding food by goldfish. Vision-impaired goldfish such as telescopes, celestials, and others have no problems detecting food.

You are right that if he's in a tank with other fish that are not visually impaired, he may have some problems competing for food at the beginning. However, I think he will adapt rather quickly. :)

This is true. I had a bubble eye that really struggled at first to find food, but he got the hang of it rather quickly. Before long, he was able to compete just fine, even with my ryukin and oranda. Worst case scenario is that you may have to isolate him at feeding time at first, though I doubt this will be necessary since he will have had plenty of practice in QT. He also has one good eye.