Goodbye Pipsqueak... So sad

orangeboar

I am so, so sad. Pipsqueak was a turtle we had for over 8 years now. He had been with me through my move into my new house and countless mistakes I had taking care of turtles. He passed away and I have spent the whole day blaming myself because it's my fault. There was a rock with string ties to java fern which he had eaten the java fern a long time ago. So it was just a rock with some roots and string. I keep meaning to take the rock out but didn't even notice there was string on the rock. So he got his neck caught in the string and suffocated apparently. I cried so much and I am still shaking now. I will miss so much how every time he sees me, he dives in the water and swims to where I am trying to get out of the tank. :(

My coworkers said I shouldn't blame myself and to forgive myself, but it's just so hard to do that. He could have had like 10-20+ more years with me :( He was such a great little turtle. I know I kept saying to take more pictures, but as always, life gets in the way and I didn't have time to take a bunch of pictures of my pets and now I lost that opportunity to get pictures of Pipsqueak. I actually didn't take ANY other photos of him other than the photo when I introduced myself to this forum... So sad...

IMGP1482.jpg

And there he is. Such a cute little guy. I will miss him so dearly. I have him in the refrigerator until I can get home from work and bury him... I have a question, can you just bury something on my grass? I have a backyard with a huge patch of grass. So I can just lift up the grass on the side and put him there? I don't want to ruin the grass and stuff. Thank you.

My condolences. :( Turtles are such wonderful creatures.

You will have to bury him at least 6" or more down to not smell him as he decomposes, so just lifting up the grass probably will not work to keep predators away or your yard from smelling awful.

Do you have a plant with a large enough pot underneath it to bury him in? That way, his body will fertilize the plant and it will make a beautiful memorial. Because of the deep enough layer of dirt, he won't smell either.

Edited by ChelseaM

Very sorry for your loss :( I had an incident recently with one of my fish getting tangled in fishing wire which attached some anubias to bogwood. Don't blame yourself :hug

Thanks so much everyone. I think Kokos is the only forum where I post and get replies a few minutes later lol. I love this community and everyone here. <3

And thank you so much for that information Chelsea. I had a pot with a little tree for my lionhead before and the tree kinda died even though I watered it regularly and stuff. So I bought another of the same tree and it is still alive today, but I would be sad if I bought a mini tree for Pipsqueak in a pot and the tree died and I would have to dig the soil out to replant it lol >_< I am still leaning toward buying him a pot and a plant... If I bury him in my grass, I will be sure to make it 6" or more. I'll think it over. Thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

My heart just sank as I read what happened. :hug I am so sorry for your loss of your adorable turtle. You need to forgive yourself. You didn't mean any harm for your pet. I can tell how much you loved Pipsqueak. Time will heal your sadness.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He looked like a sweet little guy. Don't blame yourself. You had no way to know. You gave him a great life and he clearly enjoyed the time he spent with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Awww :( RIP Pipsqueak, So sorry for your loss. I love turtles (and tortoises) they are one of my favorite animals. Pipsqueak is swimming in the river under the Rainbow Bridge now.

• 5 months later...