Sign in to follow this  
orangeboar

Bubble-eye goldfish has something inside bubbles

My bubble eye goldfish, now renamed Chunk lol, has something inside his right bubble. I just noticed it. I actually never really looked inside his bubbles before, but tonight, something caught my eye. A regular gravel sized thing is inside his bubble. The only thing I can think of to describe this is that it is like shaking a snowglobe and watching the specks fall. It moves around whenever he moves. It looks to be light coloured and light as it is floating around when he moves.

His bubbles have not popped since I first got him last September. It got caught in the filter when I got him and a bubble popped. I am unsure which bubble as they are both equally sized now. I have watched him everyday since then so I would notice if a bubble had been deflated.

I have a bad camera, so I do not think it can capture this... But I am going to sleep soon and wanted to get this off my chest since Chunk is my favourite goldie. :(

Has anyone who kept a bubble eye had this happen? Might it be harmless?

I hope this is the right forum because as of now, it really isn't a "disease" or anything and he is acting normal. So feel free to move if necessary. Thank you!

Edited by Gloyd

sometimes they can get air bubbles in there, sometimes debris/particles etc.. but i am not a bubble eye keeper and have zero experience. i know with telescopes, some do grow little blisters like clear fluid sacs in their telescope eyes. one of my telescopes presented as i explained. i don't know what a snowglobe is.. what you describe could very well be harmless but it's always good to gain a second opinion :)

would you be able to arrange the following request?

try to direct a dull flashlight at the bubble whilst taking a video so that we can kinda see the matter that you are talking about..

or a little more extreme:

place your fish in a transparent or as close to transparent tub as you can, something that you can manage to shift. try to get that over a flashlight and take a video.. ie, like an xray.. but we just need enough light from underneath to show the 'snowglobe' you mention.

i hope that makes sense and is not considered too extreme :)

Thanks so much Helen. I should have been more clear haha. I meant what I am viewing is like shaking a snowglobe and watching the "snow" slowly fall around the thing, if that helps.

I am supposed to be at work in a few hours and really need sleep, but I don't think I can sleep being this concerned. I also have HORRIBLE lighting at home lol... *sigh* I will try to see if I can get a video right now. I shall be back!

hun, i don't feel too alarmed from your description, currently. sleep well and get us whatever media you can manage, tomorrow :heart

I got it! That took a while and the odds were against me lol. Everything is much harder to do when you're tired. I couldn't find a flashlight, my camera battery was almost gone, and all my flash cards only had enough for like 10 seconds of video OMG. haha.

Chunk seemed really stressed out in the small critter keeper thing as there was no way I can see it while he's in the tank. So I did it as quickly as possible... I believe I do see the thing moving around, but it is only for a quick second! I hope it is sufficient for review. It is at around 6-7 seconds to the end of the video where you will see this thing floating down inside his bubble.

And on a lighter note, I think I got footage of the vent area? Might you be able to tell if Chunk is male or female? xDD Here's hoping he will be okay.

And of course Youtube would lower my video quality so the video is kind of blurry. Ugh lol.

Edited by Gloyd

OMG how fast (i think she) is.. i will have to watch it again on slow motion. youtube vids can take some time before they can be set to a higher resolution.. currently, i will be able to view it at 720... i'll take another look on slow motion, i didn't notice the concern at normal speed.

is this what you're noticing?

debris_zps46c3fb4b.jpg

ok, good, now that we have established what we're looking at, i will make a report to the mod team for discussion. i personally have no experience with bubble eye fish as i mentioned before, but hopefully after my report, others who do can drop by and offer their opinion. i still remain confident that this is not a serious issue.. one more thing to confirm for me, is she eating well? no other behaviour or body marks to indicate anything may be wrong with her health? just the bubble, right?

Thank you so much!!! <3 And yes. She is eating as well as a bubble eye can eat haha. Of course the other fish are better at finding the food, but I make sure she gets her fair share. She's up for eating every time I put food in.

I have no experience with bubble eyes, but that looks harmless. Was this the bubble that popped?

Helen, snow globes. :) You must have them down under. What do you call them?

I have no experience with bubble eyes, but that looks harmless. Was this the bubble that popped?

Helen, snow globes. :) You must have them down under. What do you call them?

we do, but i have never owned one.. since i have no experience with snow at all :rofl

Unfortunately, it was so long ago I do not remember which was the bubble that popped. xD But I have never noticed the thing until now, so I wasn't sure if it had been there all along... haha.

I have never had any experience with snow either! It's always so warm here. In fact, today is going to reach 100 degrees I bet lol.

And thanks for looking it over you two <3. Hopefully it is harmless, but it's hard for me to imagine living with something floating inside me, feeling it whenever I move. She's probably not thinking quite like that though... haha.

Edited by Gloyd