Apple snails illegal?

They probably are in certain states. You could try an online site but they might not ship to a place where the snails are known to be illegal and there's also a chance of the package getting stopped at the post office. :(

• Supporter

It depends on the type of apple snail. Some species are illegal in all states, some if shipped from over seas (I think all form breeders over seas is illegal now), and some and legal anywhere in the US (at least in shipping). The ones commonly called mystery snails are legal to ship anywhere in the US as long as they originated in the US. Some like hilstram (may have spelled that wrong) like one of mine are illegal in some states abd are illegal to ship across any state lines.

But just to be sure you could call your local fish and game agency. They should know or have access to the laws just to be sure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You could always try some:

- Sulawesi Snails (aka rabbit snails)

- Assassin Snails

- Thiara Winteri

or

- Nerite snails (unfortunately, these aren't normally captive bred)

Just be sure the snails will do well in the water parameters for whatever tank you'll place them in.

Good Luck!

• Supporter

Careful with assassin snails though. They have been known to attack fish. Or at least thats what ive read so you might want to double check the facts on that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've never heard about assassin snails attacking fish. But either way, she needs to research the type of snail that would be compatible with whatever other animals and plants she already has, and what snail will do best with her water.

Research makes everyone happy!

Edited by Acro