Help! White film on baby ranchu wen! Costa?!

I hope he's ok!2835257977.gif

Thanks for the support I'll keep the thread updated, I believe they're doing the peroxide spit treatment in tandem with api fungus cure. I just felt terrible but I know from experience that doing something wrong because you're inexperienced can do more harm than good. I've been watching his vids, I liked him so much I'll be heartbroken if he doesn't make it. It progressed very fast

*spot treatment

I'd like for you to get a Q-tip, dip it in hydrogen peroxide, and swab that area.

My LFS is fantastic, I called them before you had responded, explained what I thought was wrong and that I wasn't comfortable doing the peroxide treatment myself (I have seen this fungus before, peroxided and swabbed it the fish died that day), and brought him in, they insist upon treating him themselves for me since I'd only had him 5 days. He is in quarantine with them and they will call me Monday with an update. When he's better I can go pick him up. They're just down the street. Very sad for me, I've got fingers crossed.

So glad they're helping you out! Looking forward to finding out what happens. :) Fingers crossed for a good result!

I'd like for you to get a Q-tip, dip it in hydrogen peroxide, and swab that area.

My LFS is fantastic, I called them before you had responded, explained what I thought was wrong and that I wasn't comfortable doing the peroxide treatment myself (I have seen this fungus before, peroxided and swabbed it the fish died that day), and brought him in, they insist upon treating him themselves for me since I'd only had him 5 days. He is in quarantine with them and they will call me Monday with an update. When he's better I can go pick him up. They're just down the street. Very sad for me, I've got fingers crossed.

So glad they're helping you out! Looking forward to finding out what happens. :) Fingers crossed for a good result!

Thanks I'm glad too, I looked at the new stock but none of the blacks were even close to her IMO. I want to check in early but I know they wouldn't know the prognosis yet and I don't want to pester.

Stopped by LFS today to update my filter and grab a new bulb, UPDATE: my black baby Chu looks much better. The fungus has gone down by half and looks to be disappearing fast. He will be kept a week after all symptoms are gone. Will continue to update :)

Stopped by LFS today to update my filter and grab a new bulb, UPDATE: my black baby Chu looks much better. The fungus has gone down by half and looks to be disappearing fast. He will be kept a week after all symptoms are gone. Will continue to update :)

Yay!! So glad to hear it. :) That store is so awesome!

Hi there, I'm glad your fish is dong so much better :) I also wanted to say that I am glad you did not jump into treatment for costia. Many people see something that looks similar and jump to treatmenWt, that oftentimes compromises the fishes health more than the actual illness, so good job! :) and I was one of the two people who had the sick fish. We both got fish that were imported from China and we never really figured out what the illness actually was. Half my black ranchu made it, my friend lost all of hers. I'm glad to hear your cutie is improving.

Hi there, I'm glad your fish is dong so much better :) I also wanted to say that I am glad you did not jump into treatment for costia. Many people see something that looks similar and jump to treatmenWt, that oftentimes compromises the fishes health more than the actual illness, so good job! :) and I was one of the two people who had the sick fish. We both got fish that were imported from China and we never really figured out what the illness actually was. Half my black ranchu made it, my friend lost all of hers. I'm glad to hear your cutie is improving.

I went by today to update a bulb and filter and although his fungus is looking better, his fins are murky, he's bottom sitting and hanging out by the filter. I'm trying not to be too negative and thank you for your encouragement.

I worry a lot but in the beginning of this year when I started fish keeping I made a lot of beginners mistakes (water conditions, over medicating, misdiagnosis). I'm doing my best to learn and I have the utmost faith in the mods and community here! I'm sorry for your loss, but appreciate your bravery and you posting your journey so others like me can learn about things like costia. Take care and thank you again!

The baby black chu is ready to come home after almost 3 weeks in QT at my LFS! Thank you to everyone who helped! I am so excited I'm shaking, sending my partner to pick her up tonight. Wooo I am getting the prettiest fish in the world back!

The baby black chu is ready to come home after almost 3 weeks in QT at my LFS! Thank you to everyone who helped! I am so excited I'm shaking, sending my partner to pick her up tonight. Wooo I am getting the prettiest fish in the world back!

:thumbup2:

good news, hun.. what a lovely LFS you have there. i wish they all offered the same level of customer service :)

Thanks Helen, I really enjoy the rapport I have with the owners, who work there constantly, and although they're pricier than the chain store in town it's worth the price for me as an individual :) she's a wee bit gun shy atm but she looks good and is foraging, has put on weight so my hearts in my throat for now but fingers crossed!