Help! White film on baby ranchu wen! Costa?!

Last night during my fish watching period before bed. I noticed a lightning section on my baby ranchu. He's black, and it almost looked like white velvet. I thought it might just be lighting and made a note to examine in the morning.

When I woke up this morning the white looked...deeper? More definite. I have had the fish 3 days and it was only at LFS one day. She seems to be very very active and food motivated with no other symptoms. She is currently in my 40gal with my two other fish. My 10gal QT broke when I was removing it from my storage room on saturday when she came home, so I have slowly brought it up to 0.3% salt in the 40gal. I still have my hood and filter for the 10 and will look into getting another glass.

I researched black ranchu wen, and white illness here and came across a terrifying thread about 4 black baby ranchu and costia. The video posted about the large Calico and quick cure looks very similar.

I am extremely worried. This fish is right at the glass blowing kisses every time I sit to watch. Stock like this is NOT easily accessible to me, a 1 in a million. I will post again in an hour with water parameters, question sheet answers and a video. I don't want to do the wrong thing, really hoping for a diagnoses.

At this point, the D&D sheet, photos, video, etc. will help us to determine what is wrong.

However, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding a diagnosis without seeing the information and consulting the Mods. :hug Just keep your head on your shoulders and get all requested/required info together. Everything will be taken care of. :)

Can you please get some photos, or a video, up? Also, filling out the D&D checklist questionnaire (a link can be found in my signature, below), will help you get help fast.

:hug We're here to help.

I am currently online setting up a photo bucket account to mount the video in, I've never done so before and it's taking me a minute. I'm also filling out the DD sheet as we speak :)

I am currently online setting up a photo bucket account to mount the video in, I've never done so before and it's taking me a minute. I'm also filling out the DD sheet as we speak :)

YouTube tends to work better for video. :idont

Yup I suggest uploading the photos to imgur and the video to youtube.

You can log into imgur and youtube with a google account if you have one. :)

• est Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.0

• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) >10ppm (performed substrate switch on saturday. gravel to sand. Had added extra biomedia to filter a few days previouslyin anticipation. Have seen no spikes)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0.0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0.0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5/7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4/7.5
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master

• * Water temperature? 76 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40gal, since jan 2014
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Ex Whisper 40 filters. 200gph each (GPH 400 even)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2nd day/50 % (Twice monthly ill pick a weekend or something and do it every 3 days so I can have a rest day)

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Saturday June 28/ 65%. Will be changing at noon as per schedule.

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, 2inch-2.5 inch max
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tank at 0.3% salt soln. started raising it thurs, completed saturday
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari lionhead/wardley sinking pellets soaked. wardley 3x daily, hikari once. Green cultivated algae daily/bolied peas for greens 1x weekly. This fish has had no peas yet
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? This black ranchu
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Besides the salt, no.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. The Salt treatment has been the only treatment
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I had been concerned about ich on thurs, saw one wee spot on the edge of an established fishes fin. salted to be safe, I have had a run in or two with ich when I started out and it was messy.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Fish is 100% healthy looking besides this white mask/film that happened quite literally overnight.

^^^There is the link. That's the best I could think to do. I've never uploaded anything in my life so please let me know if it worked :)

Hopefully someone can tell me what it is, what to do and that it'll all be fine. :(

It looks to be an area of thickened slime coat which the salt should help. Do you have praziquantel? I would suggest a few rounds of Prazi after a couple weeks of salt. He's nice and active and eating well is a good sign. :)

• Supporter

re this:

• * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2nd day/50 % (Twice monthly ill pick a weekend or something and do it every 3 days so I can have a rest day)

i am curious as to why you are changing water so frequently.. not that it's a bad thing to do, but since you are registering nitrates and all your other params are in good order, i personally would be sticking to once a week or twice if necessary..

i agree with Lisa, Praziquantel sounds like a good move for the symptoms your fish has shown us in the vid :) best of luck with treatments :)

I'm changing really frequently because when I first received my rescue fish a) all were sick from day 1 with fin rot, septicemia, ich etc. B) I had a few die which Was very discouraging for me I felt like it was my fault although I realise now some were too far gone and even though I could've done some things better, they were on their way out anyways. C) I'm still learning and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure right? If I make any minor mistakes while I'm learning I figured the WC would help absorb them? I'm not sure why to be honest. It just made me more confident. I heard salt and frequent WC could fix a lot of small illnesses and issues. Maybe I'm silly. It is A LOT of work. I am not a fit lady lol

I forgot to mention that yesterday morning there had been a small chunk/line/fluff of white pus trailing his head (I've seen this in a healing fin tear or small injury so I knew it wasn't a parasite). It was gone an hour later. That night is when I noticed this film. Could the slime coat thickening be a response to the healing infection

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TELL ING ME THINGS THAT LET BREATHE AGAIN

Also I've heard about praying and my LFS carries the liquid for 22.00$ +tax. I hear it is for flukes but have only picked up bits and pieces of info on flukes, symptoms, and times to treat

*prazi! Not praying! Prazi!

I'm not a mod either, but I will venture a suggestion! :rofl

On black goldfish, these films of slime are much easier to see, and do not mean that there is something dire going on.

I do agree that if the fish hasn't been treated, you should. But get all the things you might possibly need before starting.

One of the mods will help you with that! :o:rofl

• Supporter

go ahead and get the liquid.. if you're salting at 0.3% currently, i would be dosing the liquid prazi at double the recommended dose. so please be sure to buy a quantity that will see you through 4-6 weeks of treatment. also, if there is any carbon in your filters, please remove it as it will stop the prazi and other medicines from working since we typically use carbon to remove medication from tank water.

:wa We are not letting you off the hook that easily AND certainly not til August at the earliest. :rofl3

:rofl :rofl

go ahead and get the liquid.. if you're salting at 0.3% currently, i would be dosing the liquid prazi at double the recommended dose. so please be sure to buy a quantity that will see you through 4-6 weeks of treatment. also, if there is any carbon in your filters, please remove it as it will stop the prazi and other medicines from working since we typically use carbon to remove medication from tank water.

:wa We are not letting you off the hook that easily AND certainly not til August at the earliest. :rofl3

:rofl :rofl

It looks to be an area of thickened slime coat which the salt should help. Do you have praziquantel? I would suggest a few rounds of Prazi after a couple weeks of salt. He's nice and active and eating well is a good sign. :)

I can definitely get the prazi, and dose the 40gal (since I think it's safe to assume my 2 rescues have never been treated) but before I give the medication could someone tell me a little info about flukes? I have absolutely no clue what it is, what it does, or what id be treating for. And wait to start treatment until the salt treatment is over and the wee guy is better, or treat with Prazi ASAP? I'll be picking it up saturday during my weekly trip I just am curious is all, its mentioned a lot, and people seem to treat for it pre-symptoms, interesting illness.

On black goldfish, these films of slime are much easier to see, and do not mean that there is something dire going on.

I do agree that if the fish hasn't been treated, you should. But get all the things you might possibly need before starting.

Thank you ALL for the reassurance! Ive never owned such a dark fish before and although i've seen slime coat on other fish and anticpated a small difference it was MUCH more drastic than I expected. Was maybe possibly (definitely) in a wee panic over here.

What supplies will I need for a prazi treatment besides the 4-6 week supply of the medication itself? I have subscribed to a schedule posted on the forum for the regime, but assume the bottle as well will have instructions

Sincerely, thank you all again. I am so glad this was here so I didn't panic and treat. I just kept telling myself "these people respond like lightning. Dont you dare leave this house and get quick cure". lol

Here is an article about flukes for your perusal http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FlukesDiagnosisAndTreatmentOptions.html

Here's the prazi schedule for treatment http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/#entry1337237

You can start treatment with prazi right away, you just need to double dose the prazi because salt at .3% can reduce effectiveness of liquid prazi.

It is pretty standard procedure at this point to treat all new fish for flukes - they appear to be quite common, and prazi is a relatively gentle medicine. Re-treating every 6mos to a year is also recommended (1-2 rounds) as a preventative measure, as it is unlikely that our initial prazi treatment kills all the flukes, so occasional treatment is needed to keep the existing population in check.

Good luck with treatment! :)

Here is an article about flukes for your perusal http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FlukesDiagnosisAndTreatmentOptions.html

Here's the prazi schedule for treatment http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/#entry1337237

You can start treatment with prazi right away, you just need to double dose the prazi because salt at .3% can reduce effectiveness of liquid prazi.

It is pretty standard procedure at this point to treat all new fish for flukes - they appear to be quite common, and prazi is a relatively gentle medicine. Re-treating every 6mos to a year is also recommended (1-2 rounds) as a preventative measure, as it is unlikely that our initial prazi treatment kills all the flukes, so occasional treatment is needed to keep the existing population in check.

Good luck with treatment! :)

Wow that was informative and kind of terrifying. Was definitely not aware that zoonotic diseases were so common in fish, I went and read the stickied thread on the topic afterwards. Deeefinitely will think twice about using the siphon/suck method I've been using on my gravity vacuum now...eeek. I'll start treatment Saturday thanks so much for the info! :)

re this:

i am curious as to why you are changing water so frequently.. not that it's a bad thing to do, but since you are registering nitrates and all your other params are in good order, i personally would be sticking to once a week or twice if necessary..

i agree with Lisa, Praziquantel sounds like a good move for the symptoms your fish has shown us in the vid :) best of luck with treatments :)

Hi guys, just an update I've been watching the Chu and although his overall slime coat has went down, This looks a lot worse. It very much resembles a fungus but I've never had a wen fish or a black fish and would very much appreciate your opinions. I have recently discovered my tap water has high nitrate levels.

And of course your opinion as well Alex if you had some time!

Thank you both so much.

I'd like for you to get a Q-tip, dip it in hydrogen peroxide, and swab that area.

My LFS is fantastic, I called them before you had responded, explained what I thought was wrong and that I wasn't comfortable doing the peroxide treatment myself (I have seen this fungus before, peroxided and swabbed it the fish died that day), and brought him in, they insist upon treating him themselves for me since I'd only had him 5 days. He is in quarantine with them and they will call me Monday with an update. When he's better I can go pick him up. They're just down the street. Very sad for me, I've got fingers crossed.