Apple Snail Eggs - Round 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are so small and cute! What do you feed them?

In the most recent photos you see them eating crumbled up pieces of egg sac (from the most recent batch of babies). Generally though they can and do eat anything the adult snails eat. Most often I provide algae tablets (more accurately one algae tablets broken into several smaller pieces). But I also feed Omega One tablets, fresh vegetables, Repashy . . . They're so tiny that I leave the same food in for a day or two before pulling the remains out. I have to be careful to provide enough food so that no one needs to travel too far to reach it, but at the same time not so much I foul the water. Also, when removing old food you have to be very careful not to remove baby snails with the food.

Sweet!

:I-Thank-You:

Oooh baby snails! I may want one if you decide to sell them.

Since I live in Canada I doubt I could ship to the States. But if your State allows apple snails as pets (some don't) Daniel E. might still have some available. He had a bunch earlier in the year.

• 4 weeks later...

All the snails are doing well. I'm not entirely certain how many there are, but they seem happy and healthy. Batch #1 seems to have two sizes, L & XL, while batch #2 are all still moderately small. So far the only colour variants I can detect are variants of golden and brown. No purples or ivories and definitely no blues :( . Still I very much enjoy watching them growing up.

Here are a few photos, please excuse the mess, it's pre-WC:

IMG_20140913_104651_zpse10ec128.jpg

IMG_20140912_102319_zpsc354d9b3.jpg

IMG_20140912_102536_zps2ea24f08.jpg

IMG_20140912_102520_zps9aad7544.jpg

IMG_20140912_102254_zpsfb015277.jpg

I'm glad to hear that your snails are doing well! I can tell you that yes you can ship snails to my province and when you are ready to part I will snag one up :) they are adorable :heart

Sounds good. I'll let everyone know when they're ready to go. I suspect it will be at least another month.

You have a tank full of baby snails Bronwyn. :) I was at Petsmart about a week ago and was looking at some. I was debating if I could pick one of them up once they got big/huge. I didn't buy one. I'm such baby. :( I also knew that there were members here selling their baby snails. I keep going back and fourth about having one or two. I'd hate for them to crawl out of my tank for I would definitely have to pick it up. shutter, shutter. :( (my little nerite snails don't crawl out of my betta tank and I do pick them up if I need to and I don't mind either.) I need to get Brave because I do like seeing their beautiful shells and would love them to eat my algae off on my anubias plants. Right now I just wipe off the algae with my fingers as needed during w/c.

Edited by 4prettyfish

You have a tank full of baby snails Bronwyn. :) I was at Petsmart about a week ago and was looking at some. I was debating if I could pick one of them up once they got big/huge. I didn't buy one. I'm such baby. :( I also knew that there were members here selling their baby snails. I keep going back and fourth about having one or two. I'd hate for them to crawl out of my tank for I would definitely have to pick it up. shutter, shutter. :( (my little nerite snails don't crawl out of my betta tank and I do pick them up if I need to and I don't mind either.) I need to get Brave because I do like seeing their beautiful shells and would love them to eat my algae off on my anubias plants. Right now I just wipe off the algae with my fingers as needed during w/c.

I've only ever had one crawl out of one of my tanks. I suspect she was looking for a place to lay her eggs as it was within days of the first clutch she laid (the one that only made it to day five). Unfortunately it was her last adventure :( . That being said I've got a bunch of snails now in different tanks, and years ago when I was just starting on my goldfish adventure I also kept an apple snail. So multiple snails, multiple tanks all with easy exits, and I can't vouch for the water quality with that first snail I had, and only one crawled out of the tank. I know some people have much more adventurous snails, but it's never really been a problem for me.

As to eating algae, they don't really put much of a dent in it. Yes they will eat it, but no where near the rate at which it grows. If you want something to help keep your algae under control I would definitely NOT recommend an apple snail.

But, if you're looking for something with a beautiful shell and remarkable antics then an apple snail might be for you :) .

Thanks for updating the baby snails pictures :D Are those algae wafers that they are eating?

Yes, they are algae wafers! Well spotted :)

Wow it look like the lighter ones are bigger than the darker ones! I thought that would be the other way around. Have you noticed one is bigger than the other?

There do seem to be more extra large light snails than dark, but there are quite a few equally large dark ones. I'd say the ratio is about 5:3. It may also be that since there's many more dark snails that the light ones just stand out? :idont The other thing to consider is that there are two batches of babies which hatched 3-4 weeks apart (I'll have to read back in the thread to find out for sure).

Having completed yet another WC (it never seems to end in my house!) I decided to take some baby snail photos. This was actually the first time that I've done a water change on that tank and not had to be completely paranoid that a baby snail would get sucked up the airline tubing I use as a siphon. I did a head count after the fact, and unless someone was hiding under/behind something, I have 39 babies!

I'm so pleased with how everyone's doing. They all seem to be growing at decent rates and even the small guys motor around the tank pretty rapidly. Unfortunately with school I haven't had much time to sit and watch them, much less post decent updates. I check in on them every morning when I feed them, but the only time I have to do a good chunk of observation is when I'm doing a WC. Honestly I pretty much have to count on my husband to let me know if anything's wrong. He's even the one who's been telling me when I need to feed more! I don't think the babies would be doing as well as they are without his care and interest.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the pics:

First a bit of a top down overview:

IMG_2905_zpsa6048813.jpg

Unfortunately this next pic didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. The large snail in the foreground is extremely dark and I think my camera had trouble focusing on something that dark. I wanted the pic though because he/she is showing signs that maybe, just maybe, the new shell growth is turning purple. Keeping my fingers crossed!

IMG_2906_zpsd4118d1c.jpg

Another group shot. Anyone else think the golden at the bottom might be switching to ivory??

IMG_2908_zps10288f48.jpg

The largest golden.

IMG_2909_zpse0cdfeb8.jpg

Here's one of the largest darks from the first batch being ridden by one of the babies from the second batch. The big guy seems to have some points or spikes on the front of his shell. None of the parents had this, but he isn't the only baby to show this feature. Does anyone know if this is a normal juvenile feature or possibly a mutation?

IMG_2911_zps975d7a73.jpg

There's also a couple of the smaller snails from the first batch that look like they might be jades (i.e. golden shell with a dark foot). I'm not sure how I didn't notice them before. I tried to take some photos, but couldn't really get a good angle. Even if I don't have any true jades I definitely seem to have a few brown's that have a greenish hue to their shells. Sadly I don't seem to have any pinks or burgundies. I didn't expect any because my pink snail was the other female and her genes wouldn't have been in the mix, but I was hoping it might be one of the options given that one of the possible fathers was purple.

Definitely starting to think of setting up my 10g QT as a snail only tank. If I did that I would probably sell the Chi (in order to buy a new QT), move the 25g into the living room and put the snail tank in the bedroom. Or maybe put the snail tank near my chair in the living room? Or a bathroom snail tank!! So many possibilities, too many tanks!

Oh right that was what I was going to look up! :lol

(Reading emoticon that I can't find right now, just pretend you see a smilie reading a book :rofl )

Oh good, I am interested in finding out more about Bronwyn's spikey snails ;)

By the way, do you mean this one? ..... :tammy: ...... :teehee

Oh right that was what I was going to look up! :lol

(Reading emoticon that I can't find right now, just pretend you see a smilie reading a book :rofl )

Oh good, I am interested in finding out more about Bronwyn's spikey snails ;)

By the way, do you mean this one? ..... :tammy: ...... :teehee

Indeed! Please research for me :D School hasn't left me much time for other things!

• 2 weeks later...

I spent most of this evening moving everyone into the 10 QT tank. The 5g Chi was getting to be a bit small volume wise and the filter isn't particularly effective. This move doubles the water volume and included a much more effective hob-filter. Once I got everyone moved in I added a small piece of driftwood with anubias on it from the 55g, various stones with plants glued on from both tanks, the marimo moss ball and plant box from the chi. The plant box isn't particularly attractive, but I'm trying to grow out some baby hygro and figure I may as well do that in the 10g. I also decided to add mommy, aka Hathor, from the 55g.

I should have counted the snails as I moved them over, but it didn't occur to me until after I was done. A brief tally after I was done gave me 34 babies, but some of them were still pretty tiny and it would be easy for them to hide, not to mention a few had probably already hidden themselves quite effectively under or behind the driftwood.

I would take some photos, but setting up the 10g, moving everyone and tearing down the 5g took most of my evening and I need to get studying for a test I have tomorrow. I will share photos and more updates tomorrow. :)

Sorry about the delay in sharing photos. These were taken yesterday:

IMG_20141003_175042_zps6da0b6a8.jpg

IMG_20141003_175449_zpsd164186a.jpg

Today was actually a fairly eventful snail day. Firstly I did several counts while taking mini study breaks. I only counted the snails I could easily see, I didn't move anything in the tank, or check behind objects. Over the course of about 5-6 counts the highest number I got was 41 baby snails, a count I reached twice. They also got a partial water change to deal with the massive quantities of poop they are now producing. And finally two got re-homed. ActiasAmy came over this evening for tea and aquatic exchange: I had plants and snails for her, she had a baby BN pleco and some loaner equipment for me. While here we chose a golden with stripes and a dark brown/black to go into her tank. I'm sure they'll have a wonderful life with her.

This brings me to the news some of you have been waiting for. With the massive growth spurt they have experienced over the last week about 1/3 of the snails are ready to go to new homes. There are less than 10 light footed snails in the batch, so I'm not going to rehome any of them until they're a little more mature and I can decide which ones I want to keep. There are also a few snails that may turn out purple and a few that may be jade. I am not going to rehome any of those either until I can be sure of the colours and choose one of each to keep. There are plenty of browns though, from very light to almost black. All of these snails have dark feet and stripes. These are the snails I will be re-homing first.

If anyone living in Canada is interested in one or more of these snails please let me know. As I am very busy with school I would ask that you confirm that these snails are legal where you are before requesting one (I don't have time to look this up for multiple locations). All I ask is that you pay for packaging and shipping plus $1.00 CDN per snail. I will look up shipping costs individually and let you know before shipping so you won't have any surprises. Hopefully I can find good homes for as many of these little guys as possible before having to resort to selling them to my lfs.

Took a good chunk of photos tonight. I think they show the variety pretty nicely. In no particular order here they are:

IMG_2915_zpse4d8e3a5.jpg

This photo shows quite nicely how the goldens are turning sort of an orange-ey brown colour. I'm quite liking the variant.

IMG_2922_zps622a52db.jpg

Maybe, kinda-sort of purple??

IMG_2923_zps4afa02fd.jpg

IMG_2924_zps31c58278.jpg

I almost wonder if the guy by the moss ball is either jade or olive. The blurry guy at the front might be another purple.

IMG_2925_zps597f4aa5.jpg

IMG_2926_zps21b67874.jpg

Mamma's the big one towards the back.

IMG_2927_zps7991504c.jpg

IMG_2928_zpsb4ba9e4f.jpg

IMG_2929_zps018441fa.jpg

IMG_2916_zps873446a7.jpg

IMG_2917_zps33d31019.jpg

IMG_2918_zps4959d21a.jpg

IMG_2919_zpsef684bd4.jpg

Most of them still have little spikes at the front of their shells. There's too many babies for me to tell if they are going away or not. Most of the snails have at least one sibling the same size and colour, so I can't tell them apart.

IMG_2920_zpsb2b4ba13.jpg

IMG_2921_zps4b61ced9.jpg