Apple Snail Eggs - Round 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh how exciting! I wish you the best of luck this time around! Second time's the charm!

I saw my snails mating almost two months ago ... still no eggs. The dad passed away recently, but the mom is still alive and kicking. I hope to see a batch soon, especially since my goldfish eggs look like they might not hatch. [emoji17]

Edited by *Amanda*

Ooh how exciting! I wish you the best of luck this time around! Second time's the charm!

I saw my snails mating almost two months ago ... still no eggs. The dad passed away recently, but the mom is still alive and kicking. I hope to see a batch soon, especially since my goldfish eggs look like they might not hatch. [emoji17]

I'm very excited! I hope they're still doing OK when I get home tomorrow (I'm helping my sister in law move). A friend is house-sitting who is used to taking care of the fish, but not baby snails. With luck they're still alive!!

I'm sorry to hear about your male snail. Hopefully you'll get some babies soon to remember him by. I'm actually hoping that Tethys was the father of at least some of the little ones as he passed a few weeks ago.

I haven't updated in a while, and for that I apologize.

A good chunk of the snails were still alive when I got back from helping my sister in law move. As a congratulations to them I broke up a single algae tablet for them to eat. It was their first non-egg sac meal. (They will eat the broken bits of the egg sac they hatched from over their first few days. Since I was going to be gone for several days and since the egg sac was so large I didn't add any other food as I didn't want the water to foul).

I probably should have done a WC as soon as I got home, but frankly was in too much pain. Fibromyalgia + a slipped disc in my neck + moving the contents of an entire house = me out of commission for several days. Today was the first WC. That being said when I put them in the 5g a week ago it was entirely fresh water and cycled media, so I'm pretty sure things were fine. I have to admit I did not test the water to be sure - I knew I wouldn't be able to do a change even if it needed one, so I didn't see the point. I'll probably do a second change tomorrow just to be sure though. Or maybe test the water once I'm done the other two WCs I need to do today.

(As you can see the baby snails are a rather fly by night operation. I have a lot of stuff going on just at the moment and my goldfish and furry pets are my priorities once I've done all the other stuff I have to do).

It's actually rather hard to tell how many snails I have left. Unless a snail is actually climbing the glass or a plant it's hard to tell if it's dead or alive. The first batch motored around pretty quickly, but this batch is much more sedate (I don't know why) so I am unsure if a snail is just resting on the bottom, or dead. I did remove two or three empty shells though. A brief count of the snails I absolutely positively could tell were alive gave me 10 snails. Not as large a count as I hoped when the eggs were laid, but given the lack of care on my part a pretty decent number. If only they had hatched a week or two sooner before my life got exponentially busier! There are at least 30 or 40 snails on the bottom of the tank that may or may not be alive.

With the exception of one particularly large guy I found on the side glass I haven't noticed much growth since they hatched. I will try to take some photos once they've recovered from the shock of the water change (by which I mean the lowered water levels -- they had to crawl down the glass to get back in the water) I will try to take some photos and will hopefully see the larger guy again so I can take a shot of him.

Anyway, that's more than enough rambling for one post. I shall update again as soon as there's anything to update.

So I promised some photos. They were actually really hard to get because virtually no one was on the front glass, not to mention they're so tiny my ancient camera had trouble focusing. Here's the best of what I got:

While most of the shells appear to be dark, the camera had an easier time with the lighter coloured ones. Here's one that looks like he might turn out ivory, but it's probably too soon to tell.

IMG_2849_zpse3599b64.jpg

A side view:

IMG_2852_zpsb871c20d.jpg

A darker one, possibly eating algae? I love that you can see his mouth, eyes and antennae. Most of the time you can only see their antennae.

IMG_2847_zps8aca14c1.jpg

Possibly a golden?

IMG_2850_zps88a2b869.jpg

One more. Just for scale the two larges blurry bits you see on the bottom are small Omega One pellets. The smaller bits are other snails and a few bits of egg sac I didn't manage to remove during the WC.

IMG_2848_zpsebee9941.jpg

Wow they look great, and congrats on the new clutch! Neat to see some dark babies in there all I've ever seen in person are goldens

Mom is brown with a brown foot. One possible Dad is a blue and the other possible Dad is purple stripes with a black foot. Hopefully there'll be some good variety.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!

They are so cute when they are this size. But you can practically watch them grow.

I wish I could! The day they hatched I had to leave home for five days. Then I was home for a week and now I'm away again. This time a 10 day stint. They have been in the care of either my husband (now) or a friend who house-sits while we're gone (the first trip). I've been told they're still alive and growing, but haven't had much chance to see for myself. :( By the time I get home I will have missed most of their first three weeks!

Holy cow :o you are gonna have snails coming out of your ears :nana

The babies are adorable :heart

:Congrats:

Thank you!

I'm hoping to be able to find them homes. When I did their last WC before coming to my Dad's to help out while my Mom was away I counted 10 surviving babies. My husband has since counted 12. I plan to keep 4 or 5 as most of the original snails have died (I'm down to one from 6. The father of the recent batch died a few days after the babies hatched. Not sure what's going on there.). ActiasAmy has made a request for one or two and I hope she still wants them. So that leaves me with needing to find a home for 3-5 snails. I'm hoping the local classifieds will help me out there. If not I'm pretty sure my lfs will take them.

So far the other egg sacs have not hatched and I don't have much hope that the first clutch will at all. I'm not going to worry about them until they hatch!

The babies are adorable [emoji813]

Thank you!

I'm hoping to be able to find them homes. When I did their last WC before coming to my Dad's to help out while my Mom was away I counted 10 surviving babies. My husband has since counted 12. I plan to keep 4 or 5 as most of the original snails have died (I'm down to one from 6. The father of the recent batch died a few days after the babies hatched. Not sure what's going on there.). ActiasAmy has made a request for one or two and I hope she still wants them. So that leaves me with needing to find a home for 3-5 snails. I'm hoping the local classifieds will help me out there. If not I'm pretty sure my lfs will take them.

So far the other egg sacs have not hatched and I don't have much hope that the first clutch will at all. I'm not going to worry about them until they hatch!

Of course I do! I'm hoping the tank being a few months established with a good algae culture will give me more luck!

Dibs on a blue/purple or two!

I'm glad some survived they're such neat, sensitive little creatures I'm terribly impressed with how well you've done with them! Babies especially, wah!

Thank you!

Of course I do! I'm hoping the tank being a few months established with a good algae culture will give me more luck!

I'm glad some survived they're such neat, sensitive little creatures I'm terribly impressed with how well you've done with them! Babies especially, wah!

I don't know how brightly coloured they will be. Mom was brown but Dad was either purple or blue (not sure who was Dad).

And if you decide to ship them to Nova Scotia, this Kokos member would love to have one!

I will look into legal issues with shipping and let you know!

Thank you!

I don't know how brightly coloured they will be. Mom was brown but Dad was either purple or blue (not sure who was Dad).

And if you decide to ship them to Nova Scotia, this Kokos member would love to have one!

I will look into legal issues with shipping and let you know!

Brown would be neat too since my aquarium is au natural lol. [emoji106] Also I madly want photos upon your return and settling into home after your trip. It's so neat that you've been recording the process!

I am sure Ozzy would want some, A couple months ago he said he has a really difficult time getting them unless it's the middle of pond season, and that people besides myself were looking for some.

Update time!

So all the babies survived my 10 day absence. In fact when I left I thought I had 10, turns out most recent count is at least 12! In my absence egg sac #4 hatched. Since they were hatched when I came home and since my husband didn't notice at all I'm not sure how old they are. There's fewer in this batch, which is unsurprising given that the egg sac was smaller. I also decided to crumble the 2nd egg sac (Hathor's first) which had still not hatched. Turns out it was sterile - no babies at all! The new batch seems to be mostly light coloured snails.

The older babies are getting to the point that I feel somewhat confident guessing at colours. All the light snails seem to be golden. No ivories. The dark snails seem to be all brown, although one of them may be a very very dark purple. I haven't seen any blues. :( They also come in a very wide range of sizes. Some of them are not much bigger than the newly hatched snails, but they've survived for 25 days, Maybe they're just runts??

Here's some photos:

IMG_2876_zps02318d3f.jpg

IMG_2875_zpsa332ca00.jpg

IMG_2874_zps0d061020.jpg

IMG_2877_zps503599a1.jpg

IMG_2872_zps1cae6ca9.jpg

IMG_2871_zps365a38ed.jpg

I only took one photo of the new babies because they can be seen in some of the other photos I took. But here's three of them:

IMG_2844_zpsefec4bcc.jpg

Edited by BronwynH