Apple Snail Eggs - Round 2

So today was one of those good news, bad news days. Earlier today I discovered that Tethys, my blue snail, died. He was fine yesterday morning, but by this afternoon he was gone. In addition to just being sad he was gone his death was a little extra down-heartening because I was hoping to finally be past whatever's been killing my snails and also the whole reason I bought the snails was because I wanted a blue one. So now, of the original 6 snails, I'm left with only Hathor (brown foot and brown striped shell) and Percival (purple on purple striped shell, black foot).

Then this evening when feeding goldfish an extra pre-bed zucchini piece (I was too busy and skipped their lunch today) I found Hathor on my lid laying eggs. She's still there! There are already twice as many eggs as were in my first clutch (laid by either Isis or Heimdallr) and she's still going! By the time she's done she's going to be exhausted poor thing.

I'm hoping to do better with this batch of eggs, but since I'm still not sure what went wrong the first time I'm feeling a little uncertain. Either way I'll document their progress here. Hopefully I'll get past hatchling day 5.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you both!

Here's a photo of Mom I took this morning:

IMG_2841_zps35906ba5.jpg

I'm afraid I've never been able to get a really good picture of her. She seems to be shier than the other snails and tends to stick to the out of the way places.

And the eggs this morning:

IMG_2840_zps2da9ac47.jpg

I'm afraid they were a little drier than the last batch when I tried to remove them. One of the ends got slightly crushed when I tried to grip it even though I was being super gentle. I wound up having to use a small card to lift them up.

And now for the waiting game . . . expect some updates in a week or two when they hatch!

I can't wait to see what the babies look like. I get eggs at least once a week now, but I can't let any of them hatch. I don't know what I would do with all of the snails. It's tempting though.

I actually have some photos of the babies from my last batch: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/117105-apple-snail-eggs/

They made it to day 5 and then all died within a couple hours of each other. No idea what I did wrong. At the time I thought it was copper poisoning, but I was wrong.

If they all survive this time I'll have to do some serious culling. The last batch had 117 babies and this egg sac is more than twice the size of the first one!!

So neat! My other half would really like an apple snail or two, subscribing and excited to see how it turns out! Good luck miss!

Well, if I manage to get them to a reasonable size perhaps we shall see if there's any way to get one (or two??) to you. :)

So neat! My other half would really like an apple snail or two, subscribing and excited to see how it turns out! Good luck miss!

Well, if I manage to get them to a reasonable size perhaps we shall see if there's any way to get one (or two??) to you. :)

Aww thank you that'd be neat and I do hope they get big for you! something I didn't know I was into until I got to the forum was the growth photos. Fry, snails, fish, plants even! It's really great that you all keep logs of this for the rest of us to enjoy and learn from. Where else would I get to see snail eggs/babies/juveniles/adult progression etc. Without doing it myself? So cool

• 2 weeks later...

Mini update:

So the snails haven't hatched yet. Based on the look of the egg sac compared with my first batch when it hatched I'd say there's still a ways to go. No where near as white, gross as dried out looking as the first one at hatching time. It's getting closer, but I don't think it's quite ready. But what do I know? I've only done this once before!

The news worth sharing is that there has been a second clutch of eggs laid just this afternoon. They got lunch around 1pm today and there was nothing. Just a few minutes ago, however, there was a nice little clutch on the underside of my lid opening. Already completely dry too, which makes me think they were laid earlier this afternoon. I have added them to the first clutch so we'll see what happens.

IMG_2842_zps04fae77a.jpg

On the plus side I'm much less anxious with this batch than I was with the first clutch in the spring. :)

Good luck, Bronwyn. Mine dried out before anything hatched. :(

Thanks. I don't know if you can tell, but there's water in the tupperware pretty much up to the bottom of the egg sacs, hence the chopstick holders. With the lid on, but not sealed, this makes for a pretty humid environment. I'm hoping everything will be ok.

Bronwyn, I'm sorry for the passing of Tethys on the first. He had such beautiful colors.

Congratulations on your egg sacs. I'm wondering how big are those sacs? Your photo's are awesome but surely they can't be very big, huh?

I'm sorry that another snail passed, but excited that you've got another clutch :)

:nana:goodluck:nana

The baby snails hatched!!

I got up this morning to find that the second egg sac has hatched. (Not really sure what the delay is with the first one. Maybe it just didn't make it?). Luckily only five babies were out by the time I got up so I was able to hatch the rest into the 5g tank where I plan to keep them for the first month or so of their lives. (We'll upgrade them based on nitrates. So when the load becomes too much they'll move). This made me very happy as last time it was a big hassle to try to transfer them once they were hatched. Last time they seemed to be fairly evenly divided between light and dark shells. This time it definitely seems to be almost entirely dark shells. I think Percival (rather than Tethys) must be the father. Much like the first time the bodies of the snails are translucent, but I don't think they start to show colour until later on.

I will try to post a picture of the babies, but I am actually in the process of getting ready to help my sister in law move, a process I will be pretty busy with for the next few days. As soon as I have enough time to try and get a decent shot and upload it I will share, but please be patient! :)

I am actually debating whether I should try to hatch the first batch manually as the egg sac looks pretty ready, but no one has gotten out yet :wacko: . We'll see . . .

Woohoo! Do you think you'll end up shipping any out to Canadian Kokos members?? :)

I don't know. If they survive and anyone wants one (or more) I'm certainly willing to look into it. I'll have to check laws and costs. One local member has already asked for one :) .

Now for the photos!

IMG_2843_zpsf0e18ee8.jpg

The gunk on the bottom is egg sac bits. The babies will eat this. :)

IMG_2844_zps3d15c26c.jpg

Thank you for your patient waiting for the photos!!

Woohoo! Do you think you'll end up shipping any out to Canadian Kokos members?? :)

I don't know. If they survive and anyone wants one (or more) I'm certainly willing to look into it. I'll have to check laws and costs. One local member has already asked for one :) .

Now for the photos!

IMG_2843_zpsf0e18ee8.jpg

The gunk on the bottom is egg sac bits. The babies will eat this. :)

IMG_2844_zps3d15c26c.jpg

Thank you for your patient waiting for the photos!!

Woo hoo go you! How exciting I'm so excited yay! Well done and adorable photos! Good luck with the move assist!