Hello from a new hobbyist in Canada!

ActiasAmy

Hello;

My name is Amy. I'm new to the hobby in January, my partner got me a 40gal used setup from kijiji and goldfish equipment from the local Petsmart as a birthday present since i'd mentioned how much I missed growing aquatic plants and that I was hoping to get a goldfish in the near future. We cycled the tank but I couldn't decide what to do with it and I was indecisive as to which goldfish to keep.

2 months ago a friend gave me two sick fancies that she could no longer care for. After buying a QT tank, and healing them up I purchased 5 more very ill fancies from a mall pet shop that was being shut down. Fast forward 2 months, lots of research and 200 WCs later and here we are. As of this weekend 5 happy and healthy fancy goldfish have been re-homed. I myself have purchased new filters, switched over my substrate and established a light-medium planted tank for the two baby fish (a Ranchu and a Lionchu) that I've fallen in love with. A specialty aquatics store i've been dealing with called me in today for a surprise...A BEAUTIFUL BLACK BABY RANCHU. They had recieved him in a mixed order, as they knew I intended to special order one in the fall season and as "their most enthusiastic goldfish customer" they gave him to me as a gift with a bag of special ordered Hikari Lionhead pellets as well! He is currently in quarantine and I just cannot stop staring!

I am overwhelmed by the knowledge, community, and goodwill I have seen here on the KoKo's forum while I was doing my research to start my tank, and that I have seen in the fishkeeping community as a whole! This hobby blends my love of plants, chemistry, biology and most importantly FISH! I am so grateful that this site exists so that I can continue to learn and grow in the hobby! Thank you and great to meet you!

-Amy

Welcome Amy! You'll love it here!!

You MUST post pics of your goldies as soon as possible!!! We THRIVE on pictures here!!

(I am TRYING not to be TOO jealous of your Black Ranchu AND that you got it for free!!! WoW!! How great is that?)

zudara2u.jpg

Pardon the murky water, even with a 50% water change and 2 hours to settle after switching gravel to sand, that gravel was FILTHY lol. I'm hoping the 2 week soak and 2 hour boil got all the tannis out of my driftwood too!

And here are the buddies all wriggling around in the tank!

egyqyqe5.jpg

^ The ranchu "ButtButt" (thank you 3 year old)

a2a4upe8.jpg

^The Lionchu "Tango"

aju3e4yt.jpg

^ And my dream fish, the black ranchu baby "Murder Maiden"

The tank just had a substrate switch, driftwood added and some plants added as well so for fun here is an image from 2 weeks ago before revamp and relocation of the rescues:

y9yqaqe9.jpg

Thanks for looking and I really appreciate the warm welcome! Can't wait to spread some positive energy back around and I'll post a tank pics when, quite literally, the dust settles!

-Amy ♡

Welcome Amy! You'll love it here!!

You MUST post pics of your goldies as soon as possible!!! We THRIVE on pictures here!!

(I am TRYING not to be TOO jealous of your Black Ranchu AND that you got it for free!!! WoW!! How great is that?)

Thank you so much! I put up some photos, they really don't do my water pups justice but there will be others because with my fish as with my children, I am photo happy!

The store in my town is above and beyond your resident LFS. They have a few permanent 8-10 inch fancies in planted display tanks and after very little chatter with the owner we discovered we both are very very into fancy goldfish specifically. When I met her she was talking to a cherry blossom ryukin...my kind of lady! Apparently the community has a virtually non existent goldfish following and when they got two black ranchu in a mixed order she thought of me and saved mine in a back tank for my regular saturday afternoon visit! The other black ranchu is marked at 15.99$ CAN because according to the owner "no one here would appreciate it enough to pay it's fair price and we got it for our normal rate". I am very impressed and will be spending my hobby budget there exclusively for sure! :)

hi Amy welcome to kokos :) nice to have you with us :bighug

Thank you! [Fangirl] I've read quite a few threads with your posts and your input was EXTREMELY helpful with establishment and healing the ich, fin rot and septecimia I ran into with the initial rescues, I have worlds of respect for your opinion, among others, very knowledgeable and im flattered to hear from you! [/Fangirl]

Welcome!! I love chus! Yours are adorable!

Yay! Wiggle butts for the win! Just wait for some progress photos i've been taking, they are truly an amazing fish!

Your ranchus are super cute!!

Do you mind my asking where you are? If you're anywhere near me I would love to know about another good lfs! Big country = fat chance you're even in the same province, but thought I'd ask anyway :) .

Do you mind my asking where you are? If you're anywhere near me I would love to know about another good lfs! Big country = fat chance you're even in the same province, but thought I'd ask anyway :) .

Thanks a ton, I can't wait to see them get huuuge! I'm currently doing 50% WC every two days to try and keep it pristine, and i'm plotting a custom filtration rig to try and keep 'em growing and healthy :) I'm in Eastern Ontario, about two hours west of Toronto.

*I am 2 hours east of Toronto, pardon me. Toronto is two hours west of where im sitting. Slight error in initial phrasing lol, big location difference.

Thanks a ton, I can't wait to see them get huuuge! I'm currently doing 50% WC every two days to try and keep it pristine, and i'm plotting a custom filtration rig to try and keep 'em growing and healthy :) I'm in Eastern Ontario, about two hours west of Toronto.

Really?? I'm in Kingston! We probably aren't too far apart. Would you mind sharing the name of the store and which city it's in?

• Supporter

No worries. You won't be able to PM me until you have 200 posts. My e-mail is listed in my profile, so you can use that if you'd like. :)

pretty sure she changed it to 100 posts about a year ago :)

I wasn't even aware there was private messaging available at any stage and Bronwyn i sent you a second email with the location, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!