Cinder block stand for 125 gallon... yes/no/advice please!

DieselPlower

OK I am being "cheap" cause I do not want to spend $650 on a wooden stand for my 125, and Im sick of it sitting on the floor. I also want to have room under the tank to use at least one of my Fluval 405's that are just collecting dust in the basement, so I can use an Aqueon 55/75 on the 75 that I think I am setting up in my basement. Anyway... I have next week off for vacation and no plans really so I am going to be doing stuff around the house, including making a stand out of cinder block and plywood. I think what I will do is get a sheet of thick plywood and cut in in half. That should make it about 23" by 96". The 125 is about 18" by 72". Might need to trim the plywood down a bit so it isn't so long. I will put one piece on the floor, and one under the tank. I am thinking I will get 12 cinder blocks and see how they space out under there, with 2 stacked on top of each other. It needs to be tall enough to fit the canister filters under them. I guess I dont know if it will work yet, because I am posting this at work and I dont know how tall the filters are hahah.... Oh and Im going to paint every thing black. I am thinking I will leave the extra wood to stick out on the edges so that I have a place to put fish food next to the tank, although I guess I could cut the wood to almost exact size and put the food under the tank. So much to think about. I am estimating the tank to weigh around 1,200 pounds, plus the weight of 12 cinder blocks and a sheet of plywood... going to be getting very heavy. I know the floor is well supported there. There is a wall directly underneather the tank that I built when I was finishing my basement. I hope the cinder blocks will hold the 1,200 pounds worth of tank!?

OK I did some searching and the blocks will support the tank easily.

Edited by DieselPlower

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Instead of plywood, I would do solid wood. I don't know off hand, but even with that, it should still be not much more expensive.

2. You may need to do stacks of 3. 2 may just barely allow you to fit the canister under, and if you plan to put the canister in a bucket, then it definitely won't work.

Here's the one I made. I've never done the finishing work, but I've enjoyed the fact that it can be taken down and moved. It has been outside more than indoors.

I wouldn't use just plywood for the top. Framing it with 2x4s and perhaps using additional 2x4s across will greatly increase the strength and stability.. I also appreciated extra length, and would probably make it longer if I were doing it over.

The blocks will support the weight. After all, blocks support houses. I don't know if the floor will. Is the wall below perpendicular to the long axis of the tank? If so, I would think jacks at each end of the tank would take care of it.

Edited by shakaho

• Supporter

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Instead of plywood, I would do solid wood. I don't know off hand, but even with that, it should still be not much more expensive.

2. You may need to do stacks of 3. 2 may just barely allow you to fit the canister under, and if you plan to put the canister in a bucket, then it definitely won't work.

Depends on the wood but I agree. Id cut a piece to fit inbetween the stacked cenderblcks and for the tank to sit on. If you use standard 2" thick wood pieces it will give you an extra 1.5" and if you use standard 8" (actually 7.5") cenderblck then with two you would have 17" clearance. Now they make a 12" cenderblcks (12"x16"x8") that you could turn up and use the 12" side and it would still be structurally sound. But admittedly not as attractive.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel E.

Thanks for the great tips everyone.

Yes the wall I built below is perpendicular to the 72" length. The tank will also be positioned along a perimeter wall of the house so it is sitting on joists that are supported directly by the concrete that forms the basement walls.

Are you saying two stacks of blocks are all I would need? I was thinking at least 3?

Thanks for the great tips everyone.

Yes the wall I built below is perpendicular to the 72" length. The tank will also be positioned along a perimeter wall of the house so it is sitting on joists that are supported directly by the concrete that forms the basement walls.

Are you saying two stacks of blocks are all I would need? I was thinking at least 3?

For a 6 foot long tank, I would think 3 stacks is better than two.

I think that is the route I am going to go. So it is the black frame of the tank that should be supported, not the glass, correct? I am pretty sure that is how my other tanks are supported.

I think that is the route I am going to go. So it is the black frame of the tank that should be supported, not the glass, correct? I am pretty sure that is how my other tanks are supported.

Right, my 100 gallon stand is the same way.

I built a cinderblock stand for my 30gal. Definitely the best/sturdiest stand I've ever owned! My best advice for cutting costs is to look in the trimming/cull wood section. I picked my pieces up from there and it saved a few bucks.

Well, no advice on the cinder block stands, but as I felt the same way about a wooden stand for my 125 i bought a metal stand for about $80.

I get the impression you want the canister to have its own place, which you don't really get with a metal stand haha, but it's a thought! That zig zag design you had in the other thread was really cool though, and would look so awesome painted black. Are you still thinking of going with that?

Well, no advice on the cinder block stands, but as I felt the same way about a wooden stand for my 125 i bought a metal stand for about $80.

I get the impression you want the canister to have its own place, which you don't really get with a metal stand haha, but it's a thought! That zig zag design you had in the other thread was really cool though, and would look so awesome painted black. Are you still thinking of going with that?

Wow what a deal! Where did you order that from? I would like the canister to be somewhat out of site. Maybe I could make a metal stand work. I don't know. Does it seem very sturdy? I would be nervous a weld would break and I'd have 125 gallons of water on the floor.

Wow what a deal! Where did you order that from? I would like the canister to be somewhat out of site. Maybe I could make a metal stand work. I don't know. Does it seem very sturdy? I would be nervous a weld would break and I'd have 125 gallons of water on the floor.

I ordered it from my LFS.

Sometimes I have those worries too, but I try to push it into the back of my mind, like I am doing at this very moment. :rofl

The filter I have is the Fluval 406. I don't know what the difference is between 405 and 406 but it's not too invasive when wedged between the stand and my dead Mother's Day plant. Not the final setup (especially because I plan to get one more canister) but it works. :)

20140629_110344.jpg

I have not and will not use wood for an aquarium stand for fear of water damage. A metal one is super easy to clean and maintain. Cinder block is really heavy but very sturdy. :) If you're worried on weight, go metal. If not, I think UaruJoey had a few YouTube vids of him building stands for his tanks. ;)

I would also say to go for a metal stand--the weight of that tank filled is already quite a lot. Adding the weight of all of those cinderblocks on top of it.... :scared Be sure to support the flooring underneath the house. Is it on a slab? Crawlspace?

If this makes you feel any better about cinder blocks, this is a 600 gallon on a cinder block stand lol. Many people advised at least a middle row of blocks, however the OP said that they set it up this way because a friend had a similar tank set up for 10 yrs this way without issue. He also had someone from the LFS come by and ok it.

8DF3A014-8B2A-465C-8EE9-A02AAA88CEB2_zps

with wood cover around stand:

0FA94FCB-DDCA-406E-B78E-D1F4B2DC303E_zps

If this makes you feel any better about cinder blocks, this is a 600 gallon on a cinder block stand lol. Many people advised at least a middle row of blocks, however the OP said that they set it up this way because a friend had a similar tank set up for 10 yrs this way without issue. He also had someone from the LFS come by and ok it.

I would like for my Secret Holiday Jolly Person to get me this for this year's present, please. :rofl

I would like for my Secret Holiday Jolly Person to get me this for this year's present, please. :rofl

uh, yeah, me too lol

That's unbelievable! How big must that house be to have room for a 600 gallon?! Omg! :thud

And it's going to be a freshwater planted tank, I'm following the thread in another forum...can't wait to see how it turns out. I can't even imagine attempting to plant that tank.

That's unbelievable! How big must that house be to have room for a 600 gallon?! Omg! :thud

And it's going to be a freshwater planted tank, I'm following the thread in another forum...can't wait to see how it turns out. I can't even imagine attempting to plant that tank.

Easy, you climb in there! :rofl