Pothos questions

So I decided I would try to put the roots of some pothos in my tank to help keep nitrates down between water changes and also because I like the look of it. I went to lowes and found golden pothos, this will work right? Or do I need just pothos? My understanding is that I just need to tank the roots out from the dirt and wash them? Do I need to worry about there being some sort of fertilizer in the soil or something?

Any Pothos will work. Yes, just take the plant out of the pot and rinse the roots well. The fish should provide all the fertilizer they need. I do not add any to my tanks.

I have one growing out of my filter basket, and it was actually just a clipping off of a larger plant. The clippings can grow their own roots, and then voila! You have a brand new plant :) This also works when your plant gets too out of control and you want to spread it around!

I have them in my HOB filter basket and in plastic suction cup containers along the glass walls. Mine were just some that I de-potted and rinsed from Home Depot. Some of the stems did great, some rotted, overall they do well. If they can get light from a window or something they will do even better.

Just wash the mud off the roots, and stick them in the tank! Voila!

My only worry is that there may have been fertilizer in the dirt they came in and it will like leech back into the tank or something, is that a valid concern?