Newbie need to figure out how much food to feed.

shihpuff

I have 2 Orandas. One weighs 20 grams and the other 22 grams. I use Omega one sinking pellets. I don't have a scale that goes down far enough to measure the weight of the pellets so how can I figure out how much to feed them?

Most directions will say feed what the fish can eat in a few minutes. I feed my fish Thera A which is very nutrient dense. I feed what my fish can eat in about one to two minutes two to three times a day. The meals are slightly larger if I feed twice a day, smaller if I feed three times a day. I supplement pellets with veggies, frozen bloodworms (thawed), and shrimp. These are fed exclusively at one meal, not mixed. Some veggies I feed are boiled peas with shells removed and blanched organic baby spinach. I have shubunkins, which can get to food rather quickly. Some others might recommend a greater time period for feeding, like three to five minutes. Let see what others more experienced recommend.

Basically, once the fish has a mouthful and stops to "chew," it's had enough for that feeding. This usually takes about 30 seconds for a goldfish. IMO the "two minutes" that you find on any package of fish food is overfeeding for a goldfish, unless you have a rare slow eater. Two or three feedings a day is good for goldfish, which, in nature, nibble all day long. One small pellet of food probably contains as much nutrition as a goldfish in the wild would get in several hours of nibbling.