Axolotl Tank Revamp

• Helper

My axolotl tank before was barebottom, with a couple of tunnels and a arch ornament...I really hated how it looked, the bottom was mirrored and any dirt showed up twofold (or three, the back is mirrored too). I'd been having problems with the tank since my original filter broke a while ago so I decided to start over and give it a revamp.

So yesterday I went and bought a brand new filter, and a bag of sand.
Today I emptied the tank, made it shine, rinsed and rinsed the sand, put it in, put in some fake plants (Working on getting some live ones!) Added back her tunnels, added the new filter (seeded with media from my goldie tank, will continue keeping a close eye on the parameters).

It's not quite finished, As I said I want to swap the fake plants for live eventually, and I want to get a new light (It doesn't work, I don't keep the lights on much since they don't like it but it's nice for photo taking and showing off the tank, and will be good for when I do get some plants). I might put the bubble bar back in eventually but so far her gills are looking better without it.

But i know you're tired of me blabbing on, here are the photos! (Sorry they aren't very good, camera battery needs charging so I was rushing them :P)

10492310_10152317644453019_7951278550664

Right after filling

10492314_10152317644503019_1981171823672

Gem back in

Note 1: Gem isn't looking too good at the moment, I know that :P We are working on it!
Note 2: I wouldn't normally advise keeping fish with Axolotls, these guys were bought about a year back as feeder fish for another axolotl who was refusing to eat in a last ditch attempt to get him to eat something - he had 8 of the 10 and these guys are the remaining 2 he never got, Gem is weird and wont even snap at them when they are right in front of her so they will stay until she decides to eat them or they die naturally :P (I've kind of got attached to the little things now)

Awesome, Mandy!!! :heart I hope this water stays perfect for you!!!! I think the new filter will help greatly :). I wish I could have an axolotl!

• Helper

Bought some plants and got a new light. Also did some digging and finally found some worms for her.

10501869_10152319377803019_9465957284743

10303454_10152319377903019_1844769178675

10417827_10152319377838019_6597290315022

10511317_10152319377868019_6104433534584

I really hope she starts putting on weight with the worms. She has had 4 little ones and a big one already today. Took her about 10-15minutes of fighting with the big one

• Helper

I'm glad you think so Mikey! Her gills are looking better than than they have in a long time, now to work on getting some weight on her. It makes me want to cry knowing how skinny she is :( She has lost so much weight and her pellets just aren't keeping it on

• Helper

I thought about that but haven't found repashy here :( Hesitant to buy from TW only because last time I ordered food online it was seized by Australian customs

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

• Helper

Oh yea I forgot Helen has repashy, I will ask her.

I was really mad last time, the guys at TW were great and refunded me for the items that were destroyed so that was amazing, was just mad that customs still never gave me a reasonable explanation as to why the items were seized and destroyed.

Actually first, the customs lady I talked to said i could e-mail her at any time if I had questions maybe I can ask if the respashy will be allowed in.

Edited by FishyMandy

• Helper

I've e-mailed her :) Hopefully iy is, I read up and found other people using the repashy meat pie in their axolotl's diet.

I must say I actually love her tank right now, I always kind of hated it and didn't enjoy looking at it before, now I can't stop staring. She already looks so much happier

If I ever manage to get my hands on one, im

Going to use a 15" T8 colormax or a flouramax since they are dimmer :). Maybe even an actinic. Lol

• Helper

Yea, the light certainly won be on all the time. Although right now she seems to be enjoying sitting on the plants and staring into the sky (probably hoping for more worms honestly, but I don't want to feed her too much at once, did that to another axie and she threw up the worms, wasn't pretty o-o)

• Supporter

I've e-mailed her :) Hopefully iy is, I read up and found other people using the repashy meat pie in their axolotl's diet.

I must say I actually love her tank right now, I always kind of hated it and didn't enjoy looking at it before, now I can't stop staring. She already looks so much happier

I really like the new setup too. Makes me want to do one someday.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Helper

She's getting so excited about her worms x3

Yesterday she ended up eating the 4 tiny ones and 2 big ones, so far today she has had one big one. Can't wait until Pay day when I can get some more plants for her tank. I want to block out the mirrored back as much as I can, I really don't like it XD (I had plans that if she 'went' I'd use her tank as a betta tank but can't do that with all the mirrored surfaces :K)