Sign in to follow this  
MissFree

Problems with Water Usage in my Apartment

My pump is around 370gph...makes water changes really really quick :rofl

I drain my tank water into my bathtub to save on water (I have a python) where I have a 72, 75, and soon to be a 60 set up. I only use the sink to fill the tanks back up. It's not as gross as it seems. :P

Do not say anything. I highly doubt they have a water meter on each unit.

They do!

Ok Ill take your word on it but still dont say anything! hahaha

Do not say anything. I highly doubt they have a water meter on each unit.

They do!

Ok Ill take your word on it but still dont say anything! hahaha

I agree. Don't say anything. And seriously, unless you are changing water daily, the increase is negligible. 100 gallons water per week means 400 gallons more a month. That should be within range. Even if they do say something, you can contest it.

400 gallons of water is a couple of dollars, I think.

I take baths only. It really helps keep the water usage down. For water changes, as I am draining the tank, I turn the water off after I have been draining for a few minutes. However not all faucets will keep draining after being turned off; my boyfriend's will not.

I live in a condo where water usage is covered in the homeowner's association dues, but I'm always worried that they will say something if I use too much water.

I take baths only. It really helps keep the water usage down. For water changes, as I am draining the tank, I turn the water off after I have been draining for a few minutes. However not all faucets will keep draining after being turned off; my boyfriend's will not.

I live in a condo where water usage is covered in the homeowner's association dues, but I'm always worried that they will say something if I use too much water.

From what I have seen living in my house the last 11 years a shower uses less than half the water of a bath, depending how full you fill the bath. If I shower with the drain closed, the tub barely fills to my ankles. If, and that's a big if, I took a bath, I would fill it at least three times that full.

From what I have seen living in my house the last 11 years a shower uses less than half the water of a bath, depending how full you fill the bath. If I shower with the drain closed, the tub barely fills to my ankles. If, and that's a big if, I took a bath, I would fill it at least three times that full.

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/water/article/305153

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/water/article/305153

So by this I am actually being very water efficient by taking baths, compared to the 30-45-minute showers I used to take. My tub is also small, so it's probably closer to a half-full regular-sized tub.

I think men generally take showers for shorter periods of time, but perhaps more frequently? I haven't seen any data on this, but did discuss this with a group of people awhile back. The men mostly showered twice a day for about 8 minutes each. The women mostly showered once a day for at least 30 min. So, it seems like it would be more energy efficient to take baths, but only if you would shower for more than 20-30 min (depending on your showerhead). Otherwise, a shower would use less water.

Edited by *Amanda*

I think men generally take showers for shorter periods of time, but perhaps more frequently? I haven't seen any data on this, but did discuss this with a group of people awhile back. The men mostly showered twice a day for about 8 minutes each. The women mostly showered once a day for at least 30 min. So, it seems like it would be more energy efficient to take baths, but only if you would shower for more than 20-30 min (depending on your showerhead). Otherwise, a shower would use less water.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2009/09/are-you-more-or-less-clean-than-the-average-american/

http://jezebel.com/how-often-do-you-really-need-to-shower-1510228527

:rofl :rofl :rofl

not in this house.... the drama llama enjoys his looooong showers twice daily :OO... i can't drink my favourite beverage in the shower :lol2 ..

so i prefer a bath :bath