Sign in to follow this  
MissFree

Problems with Water Usage in my Apartment

Hello everyone!!

I have a concern that's been bugging me for the last few days.

I live in an apartment complex and I have two tanks. One 55 gallon and one 70 gallon. My stocking situation is the pits. Each tank is over stocked by at least three fish.

I really want to hang myself over it because I expected my dad and uncle who each have decent sized tanks to get their tools together so these fish can be rehomed.

My issue is that each apartment in the complex is allotted a 'limit' or and expected amount of water consumption per month and I know that I exceed that. I haven't gotten a letter from management about it yet but I'm sure it's coming.

I usually try to do a 60% water change on each tank every week and I once thought about increasing that amount since they seem more happy when I do that. It's killing me to even consider doing a 90% change every month. Since I started doing more frequent water changes I have not lost a fish, I really don't want to either.

I'm sure that the fish that are going to new homes will be gone within the next two months or sooner but I am still stressed (really stressed) about doing huge water changes once a month. I do intend to talk to management about it but I already know what she's going to say. Hopefully I would have to pay for the amount of water that I use in excess but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions in case I have to limit it?

How are you changing your water now? (python, buckets, pump etc.)

I think an average tub holds somewhere around 70-80 gallons, if you're doing 60% changes on each tank a week that's pretty much equivalent to taking 1 bath a week. I'm not sure what your shower schedule is like, but if it is really an issue you could do an ever other day sort of thing, or take quicker showers.

I'm surprised that you exceed the allotted amount just doing a weekly 60% water change. Even if you do rehome the extra fish, weekly 50-80% water changes are still recommended :(

Showers use lots of water (some google people are telling me from 20-50 gallons per 10 minute shower), but shortening them, if yours run a little long, could really make a difference.

I would just suggest finding ways to use your water resourcefully. I'm not sure what's available to you but changing your shower head, or even your toilet flushy thing, might really help you!

Do you have a dishwasher or do you hand-wash? Hand-washing dishes uses far less water than a dishwasher.

and maybe if you have a washer in your apartment you could go to the laundromat? (which if you have a washer, I really wouldn't do this, but it would be a possibility since washers use quite a bit of water as well....but laundromats are awful :rofl)

and maybe if you have a washer in your apartment you could go to the laundromat? (which if you have a washer, I really wouldn't do this, but it would be a possibility since washers use quite a bit of water as well....but laundromats are awful :rofl)

Or just make sure you have a very full load before using the washer. :)

I agree... laundromats are horrible!

yes they are. I have a washer in my apartment for the first time and it is amazing. I always always wait until I have a very full load to do it though.

yes they are. I have a washer in my apartment for the first time and it is amazing. I always always wait until I have a very full load to do it though.

You'd never think that anyone could be so excited about an appliance until you've gone without it! :rofl I hate having to use them to do my clothes when I am at college. They're on campus so they don't cost money outside of tuition, but ugh it is so annoying.

How are you changing your water now? (python, buckets, pump etc.)

I think an average tub holds somewhere around 70-80 gallons, if you're doing 60% changes on each tank a week that's pretty much equivalent to taking 1 bath a week. I'm not sure what your shower schedule is like, but if it is really an issue you could do an ever other day sort of thing, or take quicker showers.

I'm surprised that you exceed the allotted amount just doing a weekly 60% water change. Even if you do rehome the extra fish, weekly 50-80% water changes are still recommended :(

I have to shower at least 2-3 times a day. It's a Caribbean thing. I was mostly concerned about the amount in case she tells me something. I can't sacrifice showering, lol. I do see your point though. I use the AQ version of the python. The sad part is that the suction plastic tube broke, so now I only have the hose. What I end up doing is letting the water suction out using just the hose and then use my older gravel cleaner to get rid of debris. I have to keep the water from the faucet running for the hose to keep the suction or else I get a trickle similar to a bad leaky pipe.

You actually just reminded me of one of the other issues I had. My auto water changer (broken part and all) usually forces me to turn on the faucet. I think that's why I feel like I'm using too much water. I feel like I have to use 40 gallons to remove 40 gallons to then put back 40 gallons? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Yesterday I started the auto hose @ 5:30pm... I turned on the faucet to get the suction going and then turned it off. It took 3 hours to drain about 55 % of the water. I don't mind doing that if I have to. I do intend to replace the water changer since I feel that the broken piece is making me work twice as hard.

Showers use lots of water (some google people are telling me from 20-50 gallons per 10 minute shower), but shortening them, if yours run a little long, could really make a difference.

I would just suggest finding ways to use your water resourcefully. I'm not sure what's available to you but changing your shower head, or even your toilet flushy thing, might really help you!

Thanks hun. I think I'd have to settle with letting the water trickle out instead of using the faucet to help me suction. I really need to get a new aqua clear water changer or a python. I think my concern is that I'm using a lot of water to remove the water, then I have to refill

Ha, I wish I had a washer or a dishwasher.

Instead of using water to remove the water (which is totally a drag because it is a waste of water), will the suction in the tank end of the AQ water remover be enough if you just put the other end in your bathtub/shower? The key is to have that end lower than the hose in the tank.

I found with the python that hooking it up to the faucet to remove water did not work very well. Very slooooow. I ended up just putting that end of the hose out my front door and into the garden. I understand you don't have that choice.

The other option is to use a pond pump hooked up to the AQ water remover end in the tank and the other end in your bathtub/shower.

you could try using a wider hose or even buy a pond pump.. pond pumps are awesome.. you use electricity instead of the water for water pressure to make a water changer such as a python to work efficiently. in fact, pond pumps are more efficient in the removal of water than anything else i know.

I would get a pump :)

I use my water changer only for vacuuming the gravel and refilling the tank. After I am done vacuuming the gravel, I hook up my pond pump and remove the majority of my water that way so that I don't have to run the faucet to create suction. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=pond+pump

Some people are able to create suction in their water changer just by hanging it out a window or something... depending on your circumstances you may be able to do something like this - it doesn't work for me so I use the pond pump... it's quick too.

And I'm sure I'd want to shower more in the Caribbean too lol

Helen beat me to it :P

I use a pond pump and some tubing to pump water in and out of my tanks. To fill them up I put the end of the tubing in the tank...then put the pump in the bucket and run the water into the bucket, making sure it never over flows. This is really easy and doesn't waste any water at all. If you have to shower multiple times a day I guess just try to make the showers short? I think this is using way, way more water than your tanks are. Try turning off the water for a bit when you're soaping yourself up and especially when you shave too. :)

Edited by Goldenhero

I personally don't think the pump is necessary if you have a window or door that you can run the hose out of. It provides plenty enough suction. It just takes a little more time. :)

Ha, I wish I had a washer or a dishwasher.

Cheers to that! Well, I have a teeny tiny dishwasher but at best I use it as a drying rack, since it leaks water if I use it to wash. :rofl

Yeah, I would definitely use something other than a sink-suction thing for water changes. I think that will help a lot.

Great discussions. :)

I would get a pump :)

I use my water changer only for vacuuming the gravel and refilling the tank. After I am done vacuuming the gravel, I hook up my pond pump and remove the majority of my water that way so that I don't have to run the faucet to create suction. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=pond+pump

Some people are able to create suction in their water changer just by hanging it out a window or something... depending on your circumstances you may be able to do something like this - it doesn't work for me so I use the pond pump... it's quick too.

And I'm sure I'd want to shower more in the Caribbean too lol

Helen beat me to it :P

Hey Tithra I checked out the link. Which one of the two would you purchase? I have to look up videos on this. Thank you so much!]

Thank you to all of you!!

Do not say anything. I highly doubt they have a water meter on each unit.

Great discussions. :)

I agree Alex. I know it's corny but I'm here at work and while everyone is on Facebook I'm on koko's... having fun. I'm about to buy a pump... go figure!!

Do not say anything. I highly doubt they have a water meter on each unit.

They do!

I think if probably go with the 200gph one, I think mines around 175pgh. Others here have bought harbor freight ones, hopefully they'll chime in and tell you which one they got :)

I have a 264gph model Pacific Hydrostar pump from HF running my filter in my pond right now. It would make WCs super quick.

Edited by ChelseaM

ok... i'll try to stick it to my boyfriend and see what he says.

My pump is 175 and works great (its just an ebay cheapy) but I have a smaller tank.