Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

DIY Filter for Indoor/Outdoor Pond

Here is a video on how to build a pond filter, a modification on this one by Sharon!

Here is the full cost breakdown. I bought everything at Lowe's except the pot, which I found at Countryside Greenhouse.

1" pipe - $3.98
1/2" elbow - $1.13
1/2" elbow - $1.13
1/2" T - $3.00
1/2" Hose Elbow - $0.99
Vinyl Tubing - $0.45/ft, 5ft for $2.00
1/2" Threaded PVC pipe - 2.81
155gph SmartPond fountain pump - 19.98
Indoor pot - 39.99

Yeah, I bought an expensive pot to serve as the filter. I did that so it would match my Laguna tub a little better.

This post has been promoted to an article Edited by ChelseaM

Nice job, Chelsea. That should be helpful to a lot of people. You sounded very polished and professional.

That pot looks a lot like one I have, but mine doesn't have the watering thing that really makes a nice stand for the medium. Actually it looks like that stand makes it unnecessary to have the Matala to support the media.

Just a couple of points for your consideration.

In all my 50 gallon to 120 gallon ponds, I use a 265 gph Harbor Freight pump with either 1/2 or 3/4 inch tubes/pipes going into the filter and a 1 inch outflow pipe. I've never had any overflow problems. Actually I have used as much as a 400 gph pump in the 120 gallon tub with no problems.

I have put input pipes through a hole near the top of the filter. It looks nice, but I'm not doing it any more. For one thing, it's a PITA to remove the plumbing when I want to clean the filter. Also, this is where I have had overflow problems. Even with the hole carefully placed, if the filter isn't level (outdoor filters often get that way), water can dribble out of the input hole.

Again, thank you for a very nice video.

Thank you, Sharon. :)

This setup is going to be my indoor one for school, so I won't be as worried about leveling but I do see what you're talking about and was nervous about it.

When I made my first filter this winter I used the 264gph pump that you did, and wound up having to add an extra outflow to keep up with the pump. Now I don't remember why that was, so I added a caution.

Since I had to cut out two of the legs to fit the spinner, I decided to grab some matala for extra support... and because it is awesome media that I got super cheap. :)

Thanks again for showing me this and for your suggestions. :)

I wanted to add you can make a stand like she had with the self-watering system out of some egg crate zip-tied together. :thumb:

Edited by Remdant

When I made my first filter this winter I used the 264gph pump that you did, and wound up having to add an extra outflow to keep up with the pump. Now I don't remember why that was, so I added a caution.

I remember. It was because you used the same size pipe for inflow and outflow. You aren't the only one who has done that. :) For every size pipe I have used, making the outflow one size larger than the inflow has worked.

I remember. It was because you used the same size pipe for inflow and outflow. You aren't the only one who has done that. :) For every size pipe I have used, making the outflow one size larger than the inflow has worked.

I added that one as a second outflow. At first I used the 1" pipe. Now that I think about it, though, I did use a 1"-1/2" adapter though... so kinda? :idont.

So with this, does the water churning in the outflow provide any significant aeration? Or is it all in how it falls?

Actually, you get a lot of aeration with water churning at the filter inflow. The open tee where the water turns the corner to go down to the swirler draws a lot of air into the bottom of the filter, This generally comes up as fairly large bubbles. I like to put a venturi just before that downturn, which makes the water boil with small bubbles.

I also like to put some kind of mini trickle filter under the filter outflow. This really aerates the returning water, but I do it because I hate the "water running into a bathtub" noise.

I couldn't even get the water to go in with the open Tee, so even my first filter is corked. It was just extremely loud too. But I do want to buy a window planter and do a trickle box below the outflow. I think growing some pothos or something flowered in there would be beautiful. Maybe even an iris.

Actually, you get a lot of aeration with water churning at the filter inflow. The open tee where the water turns the corner to go down to the swirler draws a lot of air into the bottom of the filter,

Where is that air coming from?

Actually, you get a lot of aeration with water churning at the filter inflow. The open tee where the water turns the corner to go down to the swirler draws a lot of air into the bottom of the filter,

Instead of the hose elbow, you use another T and leave it open on one end. There you install your venturi.

Expensive for something you could make yourself with some plumbing parts and pots. I would also love to see one made from glass bottles. ;)

Expensive for something you could make yourself with some plumbing parts and pots. I would also love to see one made from glass bottles. ;)

You have not yet realized how lazy I am sometimes hahaha... Can you explain the glass bottle thing?

Edited by DieselPlower

That's awfully expensive for a trickle tower. Also, I have one like that for plants, and the flow of water from one level to the next is not good. A standard strawberry jar would work a lot better. For under the outflow of the filter, I use a dollar store plastic basket filled with lava rock. I've also made one of

, but only three boxes high so it will fit under the barrel filter outflow.

030-Copy.jpg

The exit pipes are under tthe top row of shale.

Chelsea, what can you make with glass bottles? I've never heard of this.

The atmosphere.

Here's a filter.

061_zps6b75fc40.jpg

The water comes in through the pipe, through the venturi (with the little air pipe sticking up), and makes a right angle turn at the tee. Even without the venturi, the flowing water draws in air through the open tee. With the venturi, additional air comes in making lots of fine bubbles.

072_zps88fea377.jpg

These bubbles go to the bottom of the filter and come up through the media. (Click on pic below to see video.)

th_078_zps56ec90b1.jpg

Edited by shakaho

Ah gotcha thanks. I didn't realize the T was open.