• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.50ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5.0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 76*F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 38 gallons, 6ish months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 AC 70’s
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 80% once a week
  • How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Monday (6/23), 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2: 3.5” Ranchu
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3 times a day/NLS Thera A (mostly), Hikari lionhead, Repashy Solient Green, bloodworms.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None since I've got them from ECR about 3 months ago. (I know I should do a regular QT routine with them)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Left eye is cloudy
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None, acting normal

On Monday (6/23), I noticed that my one fish had a little cloudy dot on her left eye. I didn’t think too much of it because I figured maybe something poked it. I usually do my water changes on Wednesday, but I decided to do it a couple days early and did an 80% water change on Monday. I thought it would do some good to have fresh and clean water for her eye. I waited a few days now, and the eye looks a little cloudier than it did on Monday. Is that normal? Is it just healing? She’s acting completely normal. Eating, begging, swimming around, etc. No bottom sitting or anything strange. Although when I took pictures, I noticed that the left cloudy eye is sticking out a little farther than the right eye. From what I can see, I think the cloudiness is on the lens part of her eye… What do I need to do? I can set up a QT tank for her if I need to add anything to the water.

Anyways, here are some pics! Hoping they don't show up too big!

image4_zps087097be.jpeg

image3_zpscd4af1d2.jpeg

image1_zpsa51eac7b.jpeg

image_zps2828ee94.jpeg

Hello,

Thank you for the very thorough description and providing all the necessary info. It's fantastic! :)

From what I can see, you take excellent care of your fish. The cloudiness in the eye can be the result of ammonia, which you have in the tap, and/or a combination of that and a minor injury. It can also be from eye flukes, although I do not think it's this last possibility, since ECR treats their fish for these things.

Whatever the case, these things do not usually require any treatment, and should resolve on their own, although it may take some time. Just keep watch, and see how it goes. Keep us updated, please, and hopefully this goes away sooner rather than later.

If you want, the thing to do is to increase the frequency of WCs, but that's about it. :)

Okay, that's what I figured, but had to ask because you guys know a lot more than I do! That's good to hear though. I guess I will be doing another water change tomorrow, and I will cross my fingers it starts looking better soon! Thanks :)

:) Thank you! She's more shy than my other little guy. I wasn't sure if she was going to freak out when I moved her, but I was surprised how well she did being put into the little plastic container for pics. I had to give her some bloodworms when she got back in her tank… I felt guilty!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a week and three days since I first noticed the cloudiness in the left eye. It's been about the same since then, not looking better or worse. But today, I noticed a small cloudy dot developing in her right eye. :( My last water change was last Monday (6/30) (when my water changer broke, but I got a part for free from Petsmart, so it's fixed now!). They are due for a water change today. Before I do the WC, I just tested the water parameters, and they are reading the same as above. She's still acting normal, eating and such. I'm not sure what I need to do now… I guess it's not just an eye injury… Do you think it's eye flukes?

Let me know if I need to post more pictures.

We are more than happy to help you, but I think it would be good if you write to Cynthia and ask for her input as well. That way, we'll get the breeder's suggestion as well.

What do you think?