Sign in to follow this  
Cyprinidae

Python Water Changer & Conditioner?

Hi Guys,

I tried using my new python water changer for the first time yesterday, and it worked great (so much better than buckets), but I wasn't sure what to do with the water conditioner. If I add it before refilling the tank, will it mix with the new water and dechlorinate it? or will it react with the air and not work on the new water? If I add it after the water change, could the brief exposure to chlorine mess up my cycle? In both of these scenarios the fish would be out of the tank for the change, of course :3. How do other people here manage conditioner with python changers? I'm thinking there must be some obvious method that I'm not thinking of.

Thanks!

I just add my prime to the small amount of water left in my tanks right before I refill them. There's normally about 15-20% water left in the tanks because I don't remove the fish when I'm doing water changes.

I just add my prime to the small amount of water left in my tanks right before I refill them. There's normally about 15-20% water left in the tanks because I don't remove the fish when I'm doing water changes.

Thanks! Good to know that works :)

Remember to add enough for the whole tank, not just the water you took out.

It mixes in on its own.

The fish do not need to be removed unless you have PH issues or cannot match the tank's water temperature during the water change. Removing them only seems to stress them out more than leaving them in there, from my experience.

Edited by ChelseaM

It mixes in on its own.

The fish do not need to be removed unless you have PH issues or cannot match the tank's water temperature during the water change. Removing them only seems to stress them out more than leaving them in there, from my experience.

Thanks! So the extra conditioner won't bother the fish?

It mixes in on its own.

It isn't extra conditioner. Since you will be adding potentially toxic (i.e chlorinated) water directly to the tank, you need to add a full dose of conditioner to make sure everything is detoxified.

With Seachem Prime, you can add up to 5x the dose and not see an issue. It even says that on the back of the bottle. :) Regularly in the Diagnosis and Treatment section it is recommended to double-prime when a fish is in an unfiltered hospital tank with an illness that will require medicated treatments. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

It mixes in on its own.

It isn't extra conditioner. Since you will be adding potentially toxic (i.e chlorinated) water directly to the tank, you need to add a full dose of conditioner to make sure everything is detoxified.

With Seachem Prime, you can add up to 5x the dose and not see an issue. It even says that on the back of the bottle. :) Regularly in the Diagnosis and Treatment section it is recommended to double-prime when a fish is in an unfiltered hospital tank with an illness that will require medicated treatments. :)

Thank you!