Anyone have a planted tank without goldfish?

chricela

I have an extra 10g tall sitting in my closet. I thought I'd like to see if I could grow some plants in it. Felix, my comet, gobbles them up so fast the never grow. I had attempted to create a Java Moss wall. I could see it growing one day, and obviously "mr snacker" was trimming it! :tantrum

With the new setup, I'll have a lower shelf on the stand. & thought I'd put the 10g T under the 40B. That would make it super easy to transfer fish water into the 10.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Oh cool! Thanks Alex.

You know, I'll start reading about filters in one section, then get drawn to planted tanks, to lighting, to water quality.....you get the picture? Then I can't find where the filter info was! Which then leads me to find some other topic I get totally sucked into...& right back on the merry go round I go :lol:

Slowly but surely I will learn to navigate the fish bowl!

It has changed a fair bit since then. At the moment it's a box of stems and brown algae (have a bit of a problem I'm dealing with). I'm looking at setting up a 12" low tech cube soon. I originally bought some golden apple snails to go in with the betta, but they eat more delicate plants and I don't really want that.

A rubbish snap from the other night. Things like to pearl. :)

DSC_0969copy2_zps454703f9.jpg

I love this idea of a planted tank without goldfish. I would like to grow some cool plants without having to worry about them being eaten up or torn apart. I have a shrimp tank that has anubias and java moss. The moss is on manzanita wood so it looks like a tree. That's cool, but I would like just a planted tank with more exotic plants. Hmmm....

Dan in aus, that is so beautiful! And I am enjoying your journey there. I think it was worth it from the looks!

I wish I could have that in Felix's tank. Do they make Goldie muzzles?! :P I am aiming for a lush planted barebottom. We shall see what happens :clapping:

Edited by chricela

I love this idea of a planted tank without goldfish. I would like to grow some cool plants without having to worry about them being eaten up or torn apart. I have a shrimp tank that has anubias and java moss. The moss is on manzanita wood so it looks like a tree. That's cool, but I would like just a planted tank with more exotic plants. Hmmm....

The possibilties are endless. :rockon

Sounds like a cool plan as long as you don't want to use the planted 10g as a QT later on. You have a few decisions to make: plants, substrate, low tech or high tech, lighting, filtration, fertilization method. Probably the first decision is whether you want to go low tech or high tech. Low tech means low to medium light and no pressurized co2, which will determine your fertilization method. If you are ok with slow growth, low maintenance, and lower startup cost. High tech is pretty much the opposite: faster growth, more maintenance, and higher startup cost.

Let us know which way you are leaning toward and we can pitch some ideas. I am currently running a high tech tank and love it. Maybe others have experience running both.

It has changed a fair bit since then. At the moment it's a box of stems and brown algae (have a bit of a problem I'm dealing with). I'm looking at setting up a 12" low tech cube soon. I originally bought some golden apple snails to go in with the betta, but they eat more delicate plants and I don't really want that.

A rubbish snap from the other night. Things like to pearl. :)

I see some red myrio... What else is in the tank? Love this combination.

Sounds like a cool plan as long as you don't want to use the planted 10g as a QT later on. You have a few decisions to make: plants, substrate, low tech or high tech, lighting, filtration, fertilization method. Probably the first decision is whether you want to go low tech or high tech. Low tech means low to medium light and no pressurized co2, which will determine your fertilization method. If you are ok with slow growth, low maintenance, and lower startup cost. High tech is pretty much the opposite: faster growth, more maintenance, and higher startup cost.

Let us know which way you are leaning toward and we can pitch some ideas. I am currently running a high tech tank and love it. Maybe others have experience running both.

I was leaning towards low tech goldie friendly plants. So to eventually replant into Felix's tank.

No red myrio.

Front: diatom covered hair grass, hydrocotyle tripartita and diatom covered glosso, rotala sp. green.

Back: mayaca fluvatilis, diatom covered sunset hygrophila, rotala indica (which I believe may actually be rotundifolia), emergent limnophila aromatica, ammania gracilis, bacopa caroliniana, rotala wallichii red, rotalla wallichii green.

Running LEDs has meant the reds have faded a fair bit. I think I'll invest in an ATI fixture later on down the road, but for now I'm done spending money on this tank.

I think various types of anubias and Cryptocoryne are great. Low to medium light is fine. My goldfish don't touch them but you might lose the crypts. Java moss, various types. I don't know how well red myrio will do in low light, but the fish don't eat them.

No red myrio.

Front: diatom covered hair grass, hydrocotyle tripartita and diatom covered glosso, rotala sp. green.

Back: mayaca fluvatilis, diatom covered sunset hygrophila, rotala indica (which I believe may actually be rotundifolia), emergent limnophila aromatica, ammania gracilis, bacopa caroliniana, rotala wallichii red, rotalla wallichii green.

Running LEDs has meant the reds have faded a fair bit. I think I'll invest in an ATI fixture later on down the road, but for now I'm done spending money on this tank.

Awesome! I'm definitely adding one of these to a background gap I have.

I think I'd need at least a 20g for a qt. So no worries there!

I have a planted tank that's currently growing in that houses my lungfish. Difficult because he most walks on the substrate so plants can't be too delicate or he just tramples them.

tumblr_n7kp8ewngW1rvj6gdo1_500.jpg

Rather poor picture but you get the idea. It's a very low tech tank but it is doing extremely well despite having a big dumb fish traipsing through it constantly.

This is my planted goldfish tank, high light but fairly low tech otherwise.

tumblr_n7ri5nShhN1rvj6gdo1_500.jpg

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

I have a planted tank that's currently growing in that houses my lungfish. Difficult because he most walks on the substrate so plants can't be too delicate or he just tramples them.

tumblr_n7kp8ewngW1rvj6gdo1_500.jpg

Rather poor picture but you get the idea. It's a very low tech tank but it is doing extremely well despite having a big dumb fish traipsing through it constantly.

This is my planted goldfish tank, high light but fairly low tech otherwise.

tumblr_n7ri5nShhN1rvj6gdo1_500.jpg

I love it! Especially the goldies tank. :clapping:

I think various types of anubias and Cryptocoryne are great. Low to medium light is fine. My goldfish don't touch them but you might lose the crypts. Java moss, various types. I don't know how well red myrio will do in low light, but the fish don't eat them.

This is really helpful thanks!

Awesome! I'm definitely adding one of these to a background gap I have.

My two favourite plants in that tank are the rotala wallichii green and sp. green. I would choose those out of that lot of stems. They look good together too. :)

Things had started to close up for the night when this was taken, but the wallichii is in back and the sp. green to the far right.

IMG_20140625_233502_zpsded17b66.jpg

Planted tanks are lots of fun! You should definitely do it. A fishless tank is totally fine, you could also canister something like a betta for a 10 gallon if you wanted a fish in there ;)