Butterfly#2 bottom sitting in 55 QT

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still having problems with butterfly #2 [emoji17].Last night he stopped eating and has been bottom sitting ever since I started up the prazi pro treatment again.

Today is day 6 of treatment in the 10 gallon qt.

0.3% salt

Double dose of prazi.

I also added kanaplex to the water because now I see some pineconing but, only on the left side.

I tried to feed metro meds. The other butterfly seems completely fine and happily ate them up. Should I separate them?

image-6.jpg

This is also the email I sent. I just received a response.

Joshua,

Let me know how it goes. Your quarantine procedure is quite elaborate. Sometime medication and excessive water change can be stressful to the fish. I usually let the fish rest and recover then preventive medicine only if needed.

Benny

On Jul 2, 2014 7:00 PM, "Joshua Gonzalez" wrote:

Hello Benny,

My two butterflies have been in QT since I got them. I keep having problems with the orange and black one. Lots of bottom sitting. The other is completely fine an active. They are both eating. My qt consist of salt, which was raised in 3, 12 hour increments to 0.3% and praziquantel. Today I noticed some slight pine coning ( raised scales on the left side). I went ahead and treated with kanaplex. They are both in the same 10 gallon qt and they get daily 100% water changes and the re-addition of prazi for 4 days straight one day off. Always having 0.3% salt in. I usually do this for a month straight before adding to main tank. No filter, just an airstone, bare bottom.

I attached a video so you could see.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

Josh.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Josh, we generally recommend Epsom Salt (1/4 Teaspoon per 10 gallons) and Metronidazole powder for Pineconing if the fish will not accept Metro Meds). I would separate them now if you are able. Move the one who is pineconing to another tank without any regular salt. Salt can make Dropsy worse.

Edited by jmetzger72

I just picked up the Epsom on my way home from work. Should I still treat with prazi while doing Epsom? I don't have metronidazole powder available right now [emoji53]. Do you think I should still dose with kanaplex?

I just picked up the Epsom on my way home from work. Should I still treat with prazi while doing Epsom? I don't have metronidazole powder available right now [emoji53]. Do you think I should still dose with kanaplex?

I would discontinue the Prazi until you get the pineconing under control. Do the Epsom salt and continue with the Kanaplex since you've already started it. If you can get some Metronidazole powder, that would be good to pair with the Kanaplex.

I'm so sorry. No, salt and prazi are both very gentle. I've used them with every fish that I've ever brought home without incident. I think there must have been an underlying issue when you got the fish.

Thank you. I felt like there was a problem from the start with the one that passed. The other however, has been doing extremely well. Should I continue with the salt and prazi? She is in her own tank with out meds at the moment.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :( It's hard to lose a fish, and we all could tell how hard you worked to help him. :heart

I would also like to say that the qt procedure that we recommend is not stressful for the fish at all. If the seller is saying that simply clean water, without large water changes, is best, then I wouldn't trust his "QT" to my main tank.

I hope that your other guy continues to do well, and offers you a rather dull quarantine procedure. :)

Thank you. I felt like there was a problem from the start with the one that passed. The other however, has been doing extremely well. Should I continue with the salt and prazi? She is in her own tank with out meds at the moment.

What have you done with her so far as far as salt and prazi? :idont

Right now the R&W butterfly is in a 20 gallon long filled half way. Airstone, and prime after yesterday's events. I was treating her the same as the other fish that passed until I noticed the pineconing. That's when I separated them.

Since she's acting fine, I would go ahead with round 2 of prazi and salt. With salt at 0.3% you will need to double dose the prazi. :D

Do you have powdered metro and kana? (Sorry I keep asking all these questions but it's a bit difficult to keep the D&D threads straight in my head as far as who has what. I'm not Alex the robot. :teehee )

Haha, no worries. I appreciate the help!

I have powdered kana, but only metromeds food. Should I also gradually increase the salt again since the has been without salt through the night?

As long as she is eating, if she needs treatment for bacterial infection, the MMs are the way to go so you're good there.

When I salt, I like to put all of the salt in a pair of pantyhose (the toe part), hang it over the edge of the tank and let it dissolve slowly on its own. You can increase it more slowly if you'd prefer but I don't think it's necessary. :D

And I'm sure you have a plethora of pantyhose just lying around. :rofl3 (I'm sure I don't need to say it but I will anyway--they should be a brand new pair . . . :teehee )

Haha yeah, that would be pretty funny if you walked into the store and bought a bunch of pantyhose!

I use the mesh media bags, too. I only have tights and I don't think the salt would come out very well since they are much thicker than pantyhose. :-)