Butterfly#2 bottom sitting in 55 QT

So my unnamed butterfly #2 is bottom sitting. I have had them about 3 days now and I will be doing a water change tonight ending the first prazi treatment. Prazi is the only thing I have added to the tank, no salt.

Let me know your thoughts.

The tank is uncycled and should have almost no ammonia being that they are super small and they are in a 55 for only three days. I did add another dose of prime just incase. I will test the water parameters when I get home from work.

Here is a video. Let me know your thoughts.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally it should be 2 weeks of .3% salt and then after that, start the prazi. Let's see what a mod says to do first, though.

Edited by Mikey

Yeah let's see what a mod says. But I'm pretty sure they're going to ask you to fill out the D/D template. Also, a few questions that might help them with zeroing in on the problem: is she eating, responds to you, how is her poo, did you cover the tank to let the fish de-stress, did the bottom sitting start right away or after the prazi treatment? A mod will be along soon to help.

Found the checklist, here you go. If you could fill this out after work, that'd be great!

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank)
* Nitrite Level(Tank)
* Nitrate level(Tank)
* Ammonia Level(Tap)
* Nitrite Level(Tap)
* Nitrate level(Tap)
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
* Water temperature?
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the tank and their size?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the tank?
* Any medications added to the tank?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0.25
* Nitrite Level(Tank)- 0
* Nitrate level(Tank)-0
* Ammonia Level(Tap) -0.5-1.0
* Nitrite Level(Tap)-0
* Nitrate level(Tap)-0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 and 7.4
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 and 8.0
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api master drops
* Water temperature? room, need to get another thermometer.
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon. about a week about a week ago
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? tetra whisper only for water movement. not cycled.
* How often do you change the water and how much? have yet to do my first water change with the fish in.
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?Water was put into tank about 5-6 days ago.

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 - small.
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari lion head. just a little bit since they are new and were just shipped.
* Any new fish added to the tank? this is my qt
* Any medications added to the tank? prazipro
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting. fish is still eating. every once in awhile i will see him swim about. the other fish looks and acts normal. I have seen poop so they are digesting.

I kept the lights off for the first day to help acclimate.

I do see that I will need to get some baking soda to help buffer the water. Maybe that is what triggered the bottom sitting?

Fish will respond when I tap on the glass. bottom sitting started after i put in the prazi. once again, i have yet to put in any salt. I will be going to the store to pick some more up tomorrow.

Edited by hotnickles96

When after prazi did he start bottom sitting? Also, if it's been more than 48 hours, then you need to get some broad spectrum antibiotic, as he most likely will have developed a secondary infection.

It was probably about two days after I put prazi in. What antibiotic should I get?

Why would this happen? Is it something I exposed them to? Since they are suppose to be QT'ed and healthy from the place I purchased.

Edited by hotnickles96

I bought them from buygoldfishonline.com he said they have already been QT'ed and that they should be ready to go. They arrived fine and looking lively from the beginning. That is until I started with the prazi.

What does his QT involve? I would guess from this reaction it didn't involve fluke treatment . . . Does he scope them? :idont

Either way, it looks like a reaction to the fluke treatment and, like Alex said, a possible secondary infection. How long has the fish been in the 10 gallon with just water and Prime? :idont

They are both active again. I'm thinking I should go ahead and salt the tank to 0.01% tomorrow and continue up to 0.03% over three days and then leave it there for two weeks. Then re attempt the prazi treatment. Wait to see what the reactions are and if bottom sitting reoccurs then also add kanaplex.

I was going to order around six telescopes from the site. I had been planning on what I was going to get for months. Even though your little one is sick currently, would you still recommend the seller or are you waiting with time to form an opinion? Did you get stock fish or fish by picture and how was the shipping? Your new babies are gorgeous though, hope everything works out.

I would purchase from him again. I purchased the fish from the " by picture" selection. The fish are definitely the exact fish that were pictured. The shipping was a flat rate of $54.00 overnight from California.

Thank you! I have an obsession with the butterfly telescopes haha.

I plan on having a telescope only tank. He ran out of the calico buttterflies so I'm going to settle with the calico dragon eyes. I'm glad to hear you say you would order from them again. They are the only site I know of that offers so many different color choices for what I consider reasonable pricing. (Reasonable meaning within my budget.)

They are both active again. I'm thinking I should go ahead and salt the tank to 0.01% tomorrow and continue up to 0.03% over three days and then leave it there for two weeks. Then re attempt the prazi treatment. Wait to see what the reactions are and if bottom sitting reoccurs then also add kanaplex.

I actually think that you are better off waiting only for about 4 days to a week, and then treat again. That was a clear sign of flukes, and I don't think that you will see this again with the next round. Even if you do, the kanaplex will take care of it, and you have that on hand. :)

OK, So I will be adding salt every 12 hours until up to 0.3% salinity. I Just added 9 teaspoons of salt now which brings me to 0.01%. Once I get to 0.3%, I will be adding a total of 113.7 grams of salt after each 100% Water Change. after 4 days at 0.3% I will start with the Prazi treatment again. Does this mean I go back to 0.1% when starting Prazi? or should I just double dose and leave at 0.3%?

Just wanted to make sure I got it right Alex. I've QT'ed in the past but, apparently if you don't use it you lose it haha.

One other thing I wanted to ask. I want to make sure I buffer my 75 gallon tank appropriately.

My KH is at 4 drops which puts me around 71.6. In your baking soda link it says you want between 100-150ppm.

So for my 75 gallon I would have to add between 3 and 4 teaspoons? Just want to verify I did that right.

btw Thank you for all of the helpful links!

Edited by hotnickles96

Ideally it should be 2 weeks of .3% salt and then after that, start the prazi. Let's see what a mod says to do first, though.

Really, Mikey? I never wait 2 weeks to dose Prazi :idont

OK, So I will be adding salt every 12 hours until up to 0.3% salinity. I Just added 9 teaspoons of salt now which brings me to 0.01%. Once I get to 0.3%, I will be adding a total of 113.7 grams of salt after each 100% Water Change. after 4 days at 0.3% I will start with the Prazi treatment again. Does this mean I go back to 0.1% when starting Prazi? or should I just double dose and leave at 0.3%?

Just wanted to make sure I got it right Alex. I've QT'ed in the past but, apparently if you don't use it you lose it haha.

One other thing I wanted to ask. I want to make sure I buffer my 75 gallon tank appropriately.

My KH is at 4 drops which puts me around 71.6. In your baking soda link it says you want between 100-150ppm.

So for my 75 gallon I would have to add between 3 and 4 teaspoons? Just want to verify I did that right.

btw Thank you for all of the helpful links!

Are you using the Prazipro liquid or the Aqua Prazi powder? If you are using the liquid, you will need to double dose with the salt at 0.3%. If you are using the powder, you can just single dose with the salt at 0.3%. Just to be sure: 0.1% salt is 1 Teaspoon (aquarium salt) per gallon and 0.3% salt is 1 Tablespoon (or 3 Teaspoons) per gallon. If you are using the canning/pickling salt, you can use 3/4 Teaspoon rather than a full Teaspoon to measure.

Edited by jmetzger72