• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) .1 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 30 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) will follow up with tap params tomorrow
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drop Kit
      • * Water temperature? 77.5 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 27 gallons (April 2013)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 50 and Aquaclear 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 90% about every 6 days.
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago 90% (6/23/14)
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 black moor Pbody
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime & Salt(10tsp)
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Fancy Goldfish Sinking pellets (1 pinch-soaked before put into the tank) Nightly, Peas Occasionally, Repashy Occasionally
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 2 rounds Prazi in a couple years. Salt and Maracyn have been used for various issues including bottom sitting episodes, has been several months since the last of these treatments.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Cloudy left eye off and on
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, frequent runs to top to gulp air and release bubbles on the way back to bottom sitting.

Our black moor, P-Body, seems to have had eye issues off and on since the passing of our fancy-tail, Atlas. P-Body has been primarily bottom sitting for the past 2.5 days. When I noticed her beginning this behavior again I did a 90% WC and resalted with 9 tsp. The previous water change 5 days prior was the first recent addition of 10 tsp salt, which was added due to some bottom sitting as well. The last water change/salting seemed to perk up P-Body for about 4 days and then she started sitting again. This WC and resalting has not had the same effect.

From the cloudy eye episodes it seems like her skin has started growing over the area that was previously cloudy and her eye never seems to stay clear for long. Her tank is sparsely decorated, only a few plastic plants with solid bases, no hollow ornaments. Jokingly I said her bottom sitting episodes were her time of the month for a while, as that seemed to be about what the frequency was, but they are definitely more frequent now and we now think she might actually be a he.

I have looked for maracyn in our local stores but they seems to have stopped carrying it, so would have to order online if that is a recommended treatment. One of our local shops suggested Melafix as a natural solution and replacement for maracyn but I have read mixed reviews on its effectiveness.

This is a video of her surface runs for gulps of air:

she of course would not sit still during my attempt to video.. but the larger percent of her time is spent sitting on the bottom rather than doing these runs at the moment. you may be able to notice her eye somewhat in this video.. it's hard to get a picture or video of it cause she seems to orient her right eye towards me most of the time (perhaps it's easier to see with). Also, she is eating fine.. will stay active long enough to get the food and then goes back to bottom sitting.

Hi Holly :)

I don't think that cloudy eyes in (black) telescopes are entirely rare, and I do not think the condition is an infection most of the time. Things like environmental changes in ammonia levels, minor damages to the eyes, etc can cause this. So, I am not particularly worried about this.

The bottom sitting is worrisome. The fact that he is up and about when you are near is a good sign. When did you last treat with praziquantel. How well does he eat? What does his poop look like?

The last time we did Prazi was 4~5 months ago. He eats fine, goes after food right away. Poo looks normal. Was bottom sitting when I woke up but is currently making frequent laps to the top to gulp air again with short bottom sitting episodes in between.

I think it's time to do one round of prazi right after a WC. :)

I hope P-Body feels better.

I noticed a lot of bubbles on the surface of the water. This can sometimes be a sign of water quality issues, or something in the water causing the excessive bubbles. I think normally, the bubbles will hit the surface and pop shortly after, but yours seem to be collecting. This is just an observation and may have nothing to do with your issue, but just did not look normal to me.

Should I go ahead and do a WC (~90%?) again today or wait til the normal scheduled one (about 3 days)? Prazi will not mess with the cycle correct? Do not have to do in separate tank?

The prazi won't interfere with your tank cycle. You can start as soon as it's convenient for you! :)

I noticed a lot of bubbles on the surface of the water. This can sometimes be a sign of water quality issues, or something in the water causing the excessive bubbles. I think normally, the bubbles will hit the surface and pop shortly after, but yours seem to be collecting. This is just an observation and may have nothing to do with your issue, but just did not look normal to me.

We do have a couple bubblers so you may have been seeing where they hit the surface. She likes to swim through the bubbles. :)

The prazi won't interfere with your tank cycle. You can start as soon as it's convenient for you! :)

Awesome! Should we do just one dose or follow the whole dosing schedule? There is salt in the tank already. That is ok to leave in correct? :)

I actually think we should leave the salt out for now, and we may not need to add it back in. This should make things easier on you. :)

Let's do just the one dose, and then we will see if another one is necessary. Certainly we won't be needing the whole course, I don't think.

Awesome! Thanks. :) We will keep you posted!