Time for new fish?

Hello everyone,

Hopefully you weren't scared by the title. This is not going to be about getting a second goldfish after a previous one died!

So anyway, a year ago my science teacher noticed how much I loved the goldfish in his classroom and offered me them since it was nearly the end of the year and he had to get rid of them. I took one and I've pretty much kept him in my 40 gallon tank ever since then. It's been a year and I've learned the basics of goldfish keeping, so I am wondering about getting another fish. The one I have now is a comet. I doubt my science teacher knew there were different breeds of goldfish. I've looked at Rain Garden goldfish and Dandy Orandas and all these places but I can't find a seller that offers good quality goldfish online that aren't $60+. I've already spent hundreds on all the equipment for my tank and I really don't want to spend another hundred on a fish. It's really important to me that the fish have been sourced well and are not just from some careless Petsmart around the corner, but I really don't want to spend that much money on a goldfish. I'm not even sure I'm experienced enough to try and take care of an expensive fish. Do you guys have any suggestions of where to get goldfish? And also, do you think a 40 gallon tank with a comet would be a good home for another fish?

thx

I second a locally owned fish store. I have my local favourite.

I have also bought fish from the various pet box stores. Spot, a comet who lived to be eight, and Spazz, a loach who lived to be 10 were both big box store purchases. My brother in law was Spazz's original owner so I can't say much other than where he was purchased. When I've bought Spot and my other big box store purchases (Peaches a current fish is also one) I've made sure that everyone in all the tanks looked healthy. One sick fish, even in a tropical tank and I don't buy as I can't be sure there's been no cross contamination. Once home I make sure to do a thorough QT. Although I will admit once upon a time I did not QT, but was still pretty rigorous about no sick fish in any tank. I have never had a problem. I'm not saying it's the best option, but it can be done.

Have you checked out east coast ranchus? I think they have relatively reasonably priced chus :)

otherwise, I agree with Lisa, check out your local fish stores.

Just make sure you quarantine the new fish before adding it to the tank. If you don't have a QT tank yet, petco is starting their dollar per gallon sale June 29th so it would be a great time to pick up one. Here's some reading material on QT just in case you haven't seen it yet: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114157-why-quarantining-new-fish-is-necessary/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114492-how-to-quarantine-new-fish/

Here are some good online sources that have very reasonable prices:

1) East Coast Ranchu (also our forum sponsor!)

2) BuyGoldfishOnline.com

3) RainGarden.us (they have many fish below $60, and the lowest shipping costs of any online seller I know of - I paid just $30 for shipping)

I recently purchased 3 goldfish online for the first time: one from Dandy Orandas during his Memorial Day sale, one from RainGarden and one from GoldfishNet during his 20% off sale. All three sellers were great to work with. Where Dandy Orandas gets very expensive is in the shipping costs; he will only ship his fish via next-day air, which was $90 for me in California. Most other sellers give you the choice between 1 or 2 days. Steve at RainGarden doesn't feel that an extra day is harmful for the fish, but Ken at Dandy Orandas feels very strongly that next-day is the only way to go.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

Several members on this forum have gotten some gorgeous fish from their local Petsmart/Petco. I've gotten all but 2 of mine from there.

When I'm looking for a new fish (and sometimes when I'm "just looking" :peeka), I go and watch the fish and their behavior in the tank. Do they seem to sink/float? Are there any red spots/white spots/other areas of concern? If they happen to be pooing, is it normal looking?

Having said that, there is one chain store I wouldn't buy fish from near me as anytime I'm there, the fish look awful. But if you have a chain store that keeps their tanks and fish looking decent don't hesitate to buy from them simply because they are a chain.

I like picking fish out in person. I like to see which ones waddle to the front to greet me. :teehee. Online fish are often big and gorgeous already. I think it's fun getting them small and seeing how big and gorgeous I can grow them. :D

Good luck.

Several members on this forum have gotten some gorgeous fish from their local Petsmart/Petco. I've gotten all but 2 of mine from there.

When I'm looking for a new fish (and sometimes when I'm "just looking" :peeka), I go and watch the fish and their behavior in the tank. Do they seem to sink/float? Are there any red spots/white spots/other areas of concern? If they happen to be pooing, is it normal looking?

Having said that, there is one chain store I wouldn't buy fish from near me as anytime I'm there, the fish look awful. But if you have a chain store that keeps their tanks and fish looking decent don't hesitate to buy from them simply because they are a chain.

I like picking fish out in person. I like to see which ones waddle to the front to greet me. :teehee. Online fish are often big and gorgeous already. I think it's fun getting them small and seeing how big and gorgeous I can grow them. :D

Good luck.

Yes, you can find real treasures in the shops! It's also fun to keep going back to see what they get in every week. I would also pay attention to the general state of the store - are the employees attentive and helpful, or do dead and dying fish abound in the tanks while the employees gossip or play on their phones? I have stores in my area at both of these extremes. Like Lisa, I've had great success at the Petsmart in my area. Some of my healthiest fish have come from there. [emoji4]

With any store (chain or local), though, watch out for ich - it is very common in cold water store tanks, but fortunately most cases are quickly eradicated with 0.3% salt and elevated heat during QT.

East Coast Ranchu has beautiful,healthy Oranda's and Ranchu's. Cynthia has great prices and is fantastic to work with!!!! I have 2 of her Oranda's and 3 of her Ranchu's.

Edited by Heidi030

2) BuyGoldfishOnline.com

3) RainGarden.us (they have many fish below $60, and the lowest shipping costs of any online seller I know of - I paid just $30 for shipping)

I recently purchased 3 goldfish online for the first time: one from Dandy Orandas during his Memorial Day sale, one from RainGarden and one from GoldfishNet during his 20% off sale. All three sellers were great to work with. Where Dandy Orandas gets very expensive is in the shipping costs; he will only ship his fish via next-day air, which was $90 for me in California. Most other sellers give you the choice between 1 or 2 days. Steve at RainGarden doesn't feel that an extra day is harmful for the fish, but Ken at Dandy Orandas feels very strongly that next-day is the only way to go.

Have you received your chocolate pompom fishy yet?Just curious, how s/he is doing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anything you get online is going to have a rather high shipping fee. $30 shipping is actually pretty low. ;) Good luck on your search!

East Coast Ranchu has beautiful,healthy Oranda's and Ranchu's. Cynthia has great prices and is fantastic to work with!!!! I have 2 of her Oranda's and 3 of her Ranchu's.

She has orandas!?

I've never seen any on her site, so she might not have any right now. I sure do like her ranchus, and they are very reasonably priced.

She has orandas!?

I've never seen any on her site, so she might not have any right now. I sure do like her ranchus, and they are very reasonably priced.

She doesn't advertise her orandas, maybe because she only has a few. (compared to her ranchus)

2) BuyGoldfishOnline.com

Have you received your chocolate pompom fishy yet?Just curious, how s/he is doing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anything you get online is going to have a rather high shipping fee. $30 shipping is actually pretty low. ;) Good luck on your search!

The chocolate pompom is being shipped tomorrow, actually! I wanted to get the 3 fish I was planning all at once. I also bought a purple butterfly from Dandy Orandas and a orange and black veiltail from RainGarden. I am expecting them this week.

I agree, $30 is incredibly reasonable for shipping when it comes to fish!

2) BuyGoldfishOnline.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The chocolate pompom is being shipped tomorrow, actually! I wanted to get the 3 fish I was planning all at once. I also bought a purple butterfly from Dandy Orandas and a orange and black veiltail from RainGarden. I am expecting them this week.

Do you do unboxing videos? You must be so excited!

2) BuyGoldfishOnline.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you do unboxing videos? You must be so excited!
Believe me, I am thrilled! This is my first time ordering fish online. If someone else is home to hold the camera, I will record!

(I only have a phone camera, and it would be kinda hard to unbox and hold the phone at the same time! But if not, I'll post pics for sure!)

Thanks for all the replies!

I live in Pennsylvania. I looked at East Coast Ranchu's Facebook page, but it said I had to sign in to view the fish they had for sale. Is there another way to see the fish they are selling? Do they have a website or something?

I live in Pennsylvania. I looked at East Coast Ranchu's Facebook page, but it said I had to sign in to view the fish they had for sale. Is there another way to see the fish they are selling? Do they have a website or something?

If you look in the Classifieds & Reviews section of this forum, there is a description of how to get in. I was baffled at first, too!

On kokosgoldfish.com, there are many descriptions of local pet stores in the U.S.: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Petstorelocator.html

She is on You Tube and you can also Email her at Eastcoastranchu@gmail.com.

If you "like" her facebook page, you should be able to view everything. I don't have a FB, but I had my daughter like her page and now we can see the fish she has up for sale (she just added more the other day) You can also message her there. There is also a page/link that explains the ordering process.