Possible popeye,slight pineconing,fin rot

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) .50 but I have the prime in there
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) .50
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
      • * Water temperature? 70F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gallons, today
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Ill be doing daily water changes or 50% or more
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Set up today
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, less than an inch
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Saki Hikari toady
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? just him
      • * Any medications added to the tank? not yet
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. N/A
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Maybe popeye, not 100%. Slight pineconing,major fin rot.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? So far the little guy has been active and swimming around the tank. He hasn't eaten yet but im not sure if that from stress or him not being used to sinking pellets

So a lady came in to work today asking about fin rot on her goldfish. I asked her tank size and how often she does water changes. He was in a 15 gal (yay no bowl). I gave her some basic info and suggested she do more water changes. Well apparently that was too much work for her. So I said I would take him.

I have him in the 15 gallon QT tank, ill be getting some more salt tomorrow. I have Epsom salt on me right now and a heater if needed.

temporary_zps4a97cb80.jpg

temporary_zps861e8627.jpg

temporary_zps47a8677d.jpg

And yes, they brought him to me in a red solo cup.

He looks very skinny to me. It's difficult to tell from the pics as far as pineconing and/or popeye. I think until you can get some more pics (closer up if you can and from directly overhead) some good clean water is all I'd do for him. :D

Do you have bloodworms? I bet he'd eat those.

Poor guy. :(

Will you try for some top view pics? I'd like to see the pineconing. Also, do you have Metro-Meds?

No metro meds. I can get them though. It seems his pineconing went away from what I can tell. And hi is VERY skinny. I have only seen him eat once and that was 3 brine shrimp. After he ate the 3rd he spat out every one he took in after that.

Here is a video. Sorry its not the best video, someone took my camera out of my room and I had to use the lesser quality one. I can try again if yall need better pics.

th_103_0010_zps28a959f6.jpg

103_0008_zps6d1b0600.jpg

103_0009-Copy_zps4e16b016.jpg

103_0009_zps88ed4e33.jpg

103_0004_zps529659c9.jpg

And just to show how small this dude is.... Goldfish soup with hint of brine shrimp.

103_0012_zps3bbca58c.jpg

If he's not eating the MMs won't be useful.

It doesn't look like popeye to me. :idont But I'm not a popeye expert, especially with telescopes. :idont

Do you have prazi? Let's wait for others to confirm that he does not have popeye. If not, I would start with salt and prazi and hopefully he will start eating better. I wonder what he was fed before . . . sometimes it takes them a while to catch onto new foods.

MMs are good to have on hand so it wouldn't be a bad idea to order them if you can. A couple other meds you could consider are powdered metro and kanamycin.

I do think that given how skinny he is, and how he isn't eating much, it might be worth doing the Tetra Parasite Guard, or API General Cure.

So I think I figured out why he isnt eating much. It looks like he has a fungus in his mouth. Its super hard to see in person I know i wont be able to get a pic but it looks a bit like his throat is swollen. Im gonna get the API General Cure tomorrow and see if it helps any.

In good new his tail looks a bit better.

And I do have Prazi.

Edited by dakotak

So I think I figured out why he isnt eating much. It looks like he has a fungus in his mouth. Its super hard to see in person I know i wont be able to get a pic but it looks a bit like his throat is swollen. Im gonna get the API General Cure tomorrow and see if it helps any.

In good new his tail looks a bit better.

And I do have Prazi.

I think the Tetra Parasite Guard may be better, BUT also check to see if you can get metronidazole powder + kanamycin/erythromycin. It may not be a fungus, but bacteria.

I was able to find the Tetra parasite guard and E.M erythromycin by API. Which is better to use? Also should I add the salt in with it?

The Parasite Guard, please.

Dose in a new dose every 48 hours, with a 100% WC before each dose. We want to do this for at least 10 days, but probably 14.

Sorry I haven't updated. Solo is doing awesome. He is eating and has gained a bit of weight too. The fin rot looks like its about gone and his tail is growing.

His poo is a little long but brown and solid.

I have stopped the Parasite Guard.

Great news! I would expect the tail to regrow, maybe not back to it's original shape but maybe it will. :D Time will tell.

They do tend to plump up a bit when on medicated food. :teehee

Very happy to hear he's doing better!

Update!! Fin rot is definitely gone, his eyes are looking good. He has gotten even fatter. Im confident in saying he is healthy now. Thank you guys! I cant wait to add him to the main tank when he bulks up some more.

Great job! :)

Thought you guys might wanna see him now. He's in the tank with the big guys and loving it.

d14918e8b7ffdb690981267e22b8f87b.jpg

Wow, look at him!! He looks good!