I Don't Think I Can Do This Anymore...

Yep, any fish will do fine with sand! It definitely tends to be a better choice than gravel ;) and bare bottom is a great option too! Keep us updated on what you decide to do. Play sand or pool filter sand can both be used and are super cheap. So can black diamon blasting sand if you want to go black. If you want to go with something slightly pricier, the Carib sea sands are nice, Tahitian moon sand, sunset gold, and moonlight sand are all popular here.

I took a look at the CaribSea sand on the PetSmart and CaribSea websites. They look pretty good. The sand that I like the best is white and black mixed together but the bag says it is African Cichlid Mix substrate. Is it OK to use that kind with Goldfish or not?

That wil alter your PH, so I wouldn't recommend it. Be sure to read on each kind of sand before deciding.

For that look, Just buy two different colors of sand in smaller bags and mix them.

Oh yeah great idea! Thanks :D I hope now I can find a black and white bags to mix myself in the right kind.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the thread came back to life after all...lol...

Yeah, I'm still contemplating switching over to sand; it's just that we spent SO much money on the pounds of this "natural pebble" substrate when we first swapped out the blue colored gravel from our old infected tank, it would seem like a crime not to use it...someday I may switch over to sand like perhaps if I ever move and start the tank from scratch somewhere else...

The biggest problem to date -- outside of the multiple deaths with what appears to be signs of severe bloating and under-scale "tumor lumps" -- is figuring out how to AQUASCAPE this darn tank....no matter what we do, because the tank is so tall and narrow, nothing seems to look good décor-wise...we've gone from a quasi-natural theme to this Asian-esque/Zen thing, both of which didn't work, and now I'm thinking of doing the "sunken gardens shipwreck" pieces I saw in Petco for like 21 bucks a piece, but the "medium" sized pieces of the ship I don't think would take up enough room in this ridiculously tall aquarium....if it's not the ship pieces, I'm going to do that "driftwood slab" piece we've been discussing which I saw at Petsmart as a centerpiece...

I think a sunken Garden shipwreck theme would look great! But I also love that driftwood piece. I'd love to have that driftwood in my 20 gallon long but I think it might take up all the space in there! The Driftwood is 23 inches long by 5 wide by 9 inches high. Good luck with your aquarium decorating, I'm sure you will find something that you like that works for you :)

Whew, that was a lot of reading!

A couple of things -- I completely get what you are saying about taking stuff out and having the tank look bare. I started with a lot more stuff in my tank and have gradually been paring down. If you remove ornaments, give yourself time to get used to the new look before deciding. :)

I don't think the ornaments are bad, but I would drill some extra holes in them and add airstones, or fill them. I like the look of a decorated tank. :)

If you keep your ornaments, I would switch to sand. (Actually, I love sand and would switch to it anyway. ;) ) As has been said, it's about minimizing risk, so if you keep the ornaments, make them less risky and eliminate the risk of gravel. It just offsets some of the risk, at least.

About sand: I read that exact same GARBAGE advice when I set up my first tank, and I went with gravel instead of sand. :madrant I love the look of gravel, but it is too much of a PITA to care for, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But I don't care for barebottom, either for the look or for the environment for my fish. Most of them have exhibited a clear need to forage, and I believe the sand fills that need. And face it, no matter how big the tank, it's still a tank, and the fish need activities, so I believe the sand gives them something to do. :thumb:

Lastly, I might have gone through more different tanks than anyone on this site :peeka and it is a miracle that my husband supported me through this. He said it's a hobby and I was learning. What a great way to look at it. :heart But I think that's good advice worth sharing, so if you think your tank is too tall or that your decor is wrong, don't agonize over it. You are learning, and it IS a hobby. A hobby is active. It involves doing stuff with your tank and fish, so try to enjoy the process. :thumb: Swap it if you want to -- you are growing as a fish keeper. :)

I see the thread came back to life after all...lol...

Yeah, I'm still contemplating switching over to sand; it's just that we spent SO much money on the pounds of this "natural pebble" substrate when we first swapped out the blue colored gravel from our old infected tank, it would seem like a crime not to use it...someday I may switch over to sand like perhaps if I ever move and start the tank from scratch somewhere else...

The biggest problem to date -- outside of the multiple deaths with what appears to be signs of severe bloating and under-scale "tumor lumps" -- is figuring out how to AQUASCAPE this darn tank....no matter what we do, because the tank is so tall and narrow, nothing seems to look good décor-wise...we've gone from a quasi-natural theme to this Asian-esque/Zen thing, both of which didn't work, and now I'm thinking of doing the "sunken gardens shipwreck" pieces I saw in Petco for like 21 bucks a piece, but the "medium" sized pieces of the ship I don't think would take up enough room in this ridiculously tall aquarium....if it's not the ship pieces, I'm going to do that "driftwood slab" piece we've been discussing which I saw at Petsmart as a centerpiece...

I think a sunken Garden shipwreck theme would look great! But I also love that driftwood piece. I'd love to have that driftwood in my 20 gallon long but I think it might take up all the space in there! The Driftwood is 23 inches long by 5 wide by 9 inches high. Good luck with your aquarium decorating, I'm sure you will find something that you like that works for you :)

Hello Fish of Gold,

Thank you for your input and thoughts; just so you know what we're discussing here, THIS is the Penn-Plax "Sunken Gardens Shipwreck" piece as sold by Petco and online retailers:

$_57.JPG

and THIS is the driftwood ornament:

pPETNA-5013323_main_t300x300.jpg

I don't know which would look better in the tank, and now I'm coming across some other ships on ebay that I like (but that are awfully expensive for some reason); check out this link (we actually owned the ship with the sails a few items down on the page in our last tank):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=sunken+aquarium+decoration

Whew, that was a lot of reading!

A couple of things -- I completely get what you are saying about taking stuff out and having the tank look bare. I started with a lot more stuff in my tank and have gradually been paring down. If you remove ornaments, give yourself time to get used to the new look before deciding. :)

I don't think the ornaments are bad, but I would drill some extra holes in them and add airstones, or fill them. I like the look of a decorated tank. :)

If you keep your ornaments, I would switch to sand. (Actually, I love sand and would switch to it anyway. ;) ) As has been said, it's about minimizing risk, so if you keep the ornaments, make them less risky and eliminate the risk of gravel. It just offsets some of the risk, at least.

About sand: I read that exact same GARBAGE advice when I set up my first tank, and I went with gravel instead of sand. :madrant I love the look of gravel, but it is too much of a PITA to care for, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But I don't care for barebottom, either for the look or for the environment for my fish. Most of them have exhibited a clear need to forage, and I believe the sand fills that need. And face it, no matter how big the tank, it's still a tank, and the fish need activities, so I believe the sand gives them something to do. :thumb:

Lastly, I might have gone through more different tanks than anyone on this site :peeka and it is a miracle that my husband supported me through this. He said it's a hobby and I was learning. What a great way to look at it. :heart But I think that's good advice worth sharing, so if you think your tank is too tall or that your decor is wrong, don't agonize over it. You are learning, and it IS a hobby. A hobby is active. It involves doing stuff with your tank and fish, so try to enjoy the process. :thumb: Swap it if you want to -- you are growing as a fish keeper. :)

Thank you, Shawnee. :heart

We're actually leaning more toward this Penn-Plax ship, to bring some color into the tank:

51AGOvN8jXL._SY300_.jpg

The two-piece large ship is actually massive from what I understand, so we'd probably go with the medium one, which looks like this:

Pe_11297259._penn-plax-striped-sail-ship

Here's what the larger pieces look like in some tanks; I think it is really eye-catching:

61PHLxJLAwL.jpg

61co73RYwCL.jpg

This is more of how it would look in our tank because we have similar-colored gravel:

DSC02278resize.jpg

Edited by ClinicaTerraLTD

I won't mention it again after this, but I wouldn't be doing the right thing if a new member saw this thread, and thought that these types of ornaments are recommended by Kokos. Unfortunately, each of the decorations linked to/posted all look like they will pose a potential safety hazard. If it's not from the buildup of stagnant fish mulm, it will be from someone becoming stuck in an opening that they were unknowingly too large to fit through. We've had quite a few attempted emergency fish removals, here on the forum, and many result in losing the fish.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that I have found countless tropical fish, over the years, rotting inside of complicated ornaments because they got lost/stuck/couldn't turn around to get out.

Also, if you have some sort of mystery tumor/bacterial issue in the tank, adding ornaments isn't the way to stop it.

I do wish you the best of luck with your tank, and hope that you're able to decorate it safely, and to your satisfaction. :)

I won't mention it again after this, but I wouldn't be doing the right thing if a new member saw this thread, and thought that these types of ornaments are recommended by Kokos. Unfortunately, each of the decorations linked to/posted all look like they will pose a potential safety hazard. If it's not from the buildup of stagnant fish mulm, it will be from someone becoming stuck in an opening that they were unknowingly too large to fit through. We've had quite a few attempted emergency fish removals, here on the forum, and many result in losing the fish.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that I have found countless tropical fish, over the years, rotting inside of complicated ornaments because they got lost/stuck/couldn't turn around to get out.

Also, if you have some sort of mystery tumor/bacterial issue in the tank, adding ornaments isn't the way to stop it.

I do wish you the best of luck with your tank, and hope that you're able to decorate it safely, and to your satisfaction. :)

Tammy made a great point. I personally have a bare bottom tank that I will be switching over to sand very soon. Maybe a couple of real driftwood pieces with some Anubias or other plants attached to it? You could even go with a full out planted tank

Tammy made a great point. I personally have a bare bottom tank that I will be switching over to sand very soon. Maybe a couple of real driftwood pieces with some Anubias or other plants attached to it? You could even go with a full out planted tank

Absolutely! There are so many ways to tackle even the tallest of tanks, in a natural, safe way.

Also, anubias are immortal plants, and even the most brown of thumbs will be able to keep them going. :)

Absolutely! There are so many ways to tackle even the tallest of tanks, in a natural, safe way.

Also, anubias are immortal plants, and even the most brown of thumbs will be able to keep them going. :)

My Anubias lived through so much. I now have java ferns which could also be attached to wood or rocks

Here is my java fern covered rock

n3mfrb.jpg

I didn't, for the life of me or even for a fleeting second, think or believe that whatever was mentioned here was being "sanctioned" or otherwise recommended by the site; I understand Shell's point, but there was no intent in that...these are merely my opinions and personal objectives, as I'm not going to do real plants nor keep a barebottom tank...

That said, I understand, completely, what everyone is saying; I will keep you all updated with regard to which way we decide to go in a new thread (once a decision on a theme has been made)...additionally, I still have not abandoned the driftwood centerpiece idea... :thumb: