100% Water Changes

Scarlett

A friend of mine bought a Betta and houses him in a 3 litre bowl. The fish shop told her to only do 25% water changes weekly. Very soon after, I get a call. The betta is bottom sitting, has frayed fins and the water is cloudy. I told her to perform a 100% water change. I advised to perform 100% water changes ever 2nd day, as it is a bowl and beneficial bacteria do not live in the water column, but on the surfaces of the substrate and the glass. Also, since it is just a bowl, it's not cycled, so it wouldn't make a difference anyway. The fish is now very healthy and active.

Fast forward a couple months. I talk my friend into getting a 17 litre Nano tank with a light, filter and heater, as it is winter and the poor little fellow was getting cold. My friend went to the local fish shop and explained what she wanted. She told them that she performs 100% water changes and they said she was wrong to do so. That she was throwing away the beneficial bacteria and putting the fish's health at risk and that all the advice is given her was wrong.

What does everyone think? Are 100% water changes wrong for a betta in a small bowl?

Also... We said we were going to do a fish in cycle, to cycle the tank and perform regular water changes to keep the ammonia etc in check. The looked at me as if I was insane!!!

I think as she was keeping it in a bowl, it was better than any other alternative. I don't think your advice was wrong but I also think its great she's getting a proper set up :)

I don't think 100% water changes are wrong at all provided the necessary parameters are matched and the stress of the fish is taken into account. For an uncycled 3L bowl, I think it'd be a good idea a couple times a week to do a full water change. Even with partial changes ammonia would still gradually build up, so anything to stop that is beneficial.

If she didn't wipe down the glass then bacteria would colonise there, but 100% water changes don't remove the bacteria from the water. If she doesn't clean the side of the glass, add that into the new tank to help cycle it :)

beneficial bacteria need a surface to colonize, there is a minimal amount floating around in the water. 100% water changes are fine. any significant amount of BBs in a bowl will be on the surface layer of the substrate and walls of the bowl.

Do you know her tap and tank pH? 100% WC would only be harmful if there was a large difference in the two.

Eventually you get used to pet store employees looking at you like you're crazy. :rofl3

Mmmmmmmhm. True that.

Do you know her tap and tank pH? 100% WC would only be harmful if there was a large difference in the two.

Eventually you get used to pet store employees looking at you like you're crazy. :rofl3

Mmmmmmmhm. True that.
Don't forget your pet store co workers!! :rofl

They are the same. :)