Chelsea's Many Attempts At Fry

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D'awwh! Thanks for giving in to peer pressure and posting a video, it was lovely! They must be so much work but we really appreciate it haha #livingvicariously

I AM HAVING SHAKAHO SYNDROME!

13 are now 48.

48 frikkin babies.

More than I started with.

DARN IT.

Oh, and they are 3 different ages.

Haha I only have 2 fish, 2 kids and 3 Cats and I'm certifiably overworked. If anyone can do it you can! Good job!

58 isn't including those 2. :rofl

I just keep finding more. I will be culling from the larger babies soon though. The little ones take more time before I cull them.

I am looking for the beginnings of those guys down below... and may be culling for color when the time comes.

Edited by ChelseaM

58 isn't including those 2. :rofl

I just keep finding more. I will be culling from the larger babies soon though. The little ones take more time before I cull them.

I am looking for the beginnings of those guys down below... and may be culling for color when the time comes.

I swear I took math in elementary school :P 2/60 *ahem* lol looking forward to the footage :)

Let me tell you how I raise tiny fry -- not as advice, but simply as a contrast with what many others do. I put the recently- hatched fry in tubs that hold about 2 1/2 gallons that I got at the dollar store. Each group of babies has two tubs, and I move them to fresh water every second day. Their tub is topped with lots of duckweed and whatever floating plants I have.

IMG_0802.jpg

Here's a close-up:

IMG_0803.jpg

I don't feed them for the first two weeks. The duckweed and other plants have lots of rotifers and other tiny animals and protozoa that are the natural food of fry, and since I don't scrub but just rinse the tubs they get a biofilm that contains baby food. I move the duckweed and plants when I move the fish. The first thing the babies learn is how to find their own food. After two weeks I start feeding them a little of the "dust" that you find in the bottom of a container of pellets. They really appreciate the "fast food" after having to work for their meals.

About 90% of the fry survive to feeder size. The ones that die usually have crooked backs or some other deformity.

So CUTE!

So just a disclaimer: When I took the video there were 60 babies. There are 67 now. I thought I removed all the babies with the WC, but I found a whole school of them when I was done.

Just did an extensive culling for form and balance of the fish born on and around the 19th. I forgot to count the amount of babies getting removed, but next WC I will know because I count them every time.

Quite a few babies were culled though.