Sign in to follow this  
Beth Luttrell

Fish injured and covered with white film

Fish in question: Ranchu, who was purchased on Sunday along with two other ranchu. The other two are looking fine so far.

Tank size: 50 gallons. Has been running for about 2 months. Fishless cycle was completed about two weeks ago and fish were added a week after that.

Filter: Sunsun HW 304B

Water parameters for tank:

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrites - 0 ppm

Nitrates - 5-10 ppm

Water parameters for tap:

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrites - 0 ppm

Nitrates - 0 ppm

Test kit: API master test kit, drops

Water temperature: 77 F

Last water change: Yesterday (6/17), about 30 percent. I did a 50 percent two days before that.

Current medications: Salt treatment yesterday. 3 tablespoons per gallon added.

Actual problem:

I noticed on Monday that my ranchu, Cadbury, had injured his bottom. I removed the piece of driftwood that was likely to have caused the injury, but I can't say for certain whether it was caused by clumsiness or by flashing. On Tuesday, I started to notice a slight white film on parts of his tail and his wen. One of his tank mates was going after his injury, so I made a makeshift tank divider because I don't have a hospital tank. Today, the film has become more dense and there are white splotches visible all over his wen and tail.

He's still swimming actively and eating rather well (OSI pellets, 2 twice a day, and the occasional pea), but the outward symptoms are visibly worsening. Could someone please help identify his illness? Guidance on how to treat it would be appreciated as well.

VQvp5Hd.jpg

tumblr_n7c9vlxKDP1rtei4xo1_400.jpg

Edited by Beth

Just to clarify: Did you add 3 "Tablespoons" or 3 "Teaspoons" of salt per gallon? And was this to the main tank or for a brief salt dip? If it was for prolonged immersion in the main tank, this is way too much salt and you need to reduce it to 3 Teaspoons per gallon.

I honestly have no idea why I put that number in for salt. I added about 9 rounded tablespoons total, so more like 1 every 5 gallons.

Edited by Beth

Beth, I'm not a gallons or teaspoon person but I would place the fish in an absolutely empty tank (the one his is in, cleaned out completely or another tank of at least 15 gallons). Fill with clean water, Primed and match for temp and PH. Then add salt following the guidelines here

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/60876-using-salt/

The moderators might advise you to medicate as well. What do you have on hand?

what is the tap and tank ph please?

Hope he feels better!!!

what is the tap and tank ph please?

yeah my thoughts exactly..