Sign in to follow this  
BronwynH

5g Fluval Chi

So I just got a fantastic deal! I was browsing through local classified ads for fish tanks and saw something I could not refuse. Generally I'm browsing for upgrades for my 20g & 55g tanks. Today I saw a 5g Fluval Chi listed for $5! For reference brand new it sells for $89.99 (locally on sale for $71.99 at one of the lfs). Even used I've only seen them for $50+. It was watertight and came will all components (except the upper plant basket that sits on the filter) and all components fully functioning.

It is currently in my bathtub being tested for water-tightness and also to sterilize. I've got the full set up running with 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Once that's done I'll run it on several flushes of clean water and one final flush of clean water and dechlorinator.

I don't have any use for it at this point. I may just keep it as an extra QT tank. But at that price I could just not say no!

that's awesome!

Oh! I was looking at those at my lfs. They had some tiny tiny puffers in it. :)

Nice find!

Lucky you!

Whoaaaa, I'd love one of those! I'd love one even more for $5. :rofl

Congrats, that's an amazing find! :happydance:bighug

Awesome! :o

Why not house some ember tetras or snails in there? It's too small to QT in.

Edited by ChelseaM

I have that tank :) I bought mine used about 2 years ago for $50, so you got a crazy good deal holy man!!!!!!

I have always kept a betta in mine. The filter is very small, but works perfectly for a betta as it is not too strong for them. I can take some pictures of mine and show you :)

@ tithra

:thumb:

@fantailfan1

I was quite surprised to find it!

Lucky you!

:clapping:

Whoaaaa, I'd love one of those! I'd love one even more for $5. :rofl
Congrats, that's an amazing find! :happydance:bighug

I was very excited!

Awesome! :o

Why not house some ember tetras or snails in there? It's too small to QT in.

For the goldfish or loach it would be an emergency/last resort QT tank. For example if the other QT is already in use or (heaven forbid) gets damaged. Two years ago I actually pulled my 10g QT tank out of storage only to find it cracked and had to run out and buy an emergency QT tub. Fortunately the fish recovered, but I never want to have to do that again. My fish are still quite small so if it's a short term QT (eg. 24-48 hours while a bacterial cyst drains) with daily WCs I think it would be fine. But actually more importantly it would be suitable if, for example, I would need to pull my snails out of the main tank for any reason. I've had to do this twice before, once for a maintenance prazi dose and once during a suspected, but but fortunately non-existent, copper contamination. It would also be more than suitable for my husbands tropical fish (mostly mollies, but also wcmms) should any need QT. Let me just say from experience that it's absolutely ridiculous QT'ing a single balloon molly in a 10g tank to treat for ick.

As for setting it up as a tank unto itself, this is going to require some serious thought. We already have three tanks in the apartment (two hers, one his), so I'd want it to be something special if I'm going to dedicate the space to it. I have thought about moving my snails into it, but they're doing a really good job of keeping the algae under control in the 55g. Another thought I've had is using it as a plant grow out tank, but since with the exception of my baby amazon swords my fish leave my plants alone I'm not sure this is necessary. The idea of a betta is tempting as we've had and enjoyed them before.

I'm going to the lfs on Friday to pick up some supplies, so I'm going to look around at what they have. I won't be buying anything yet though. Just idea hunting.

I have that tank :) I bought mine used about 2 years ago for $50, so you got a crazy good deal holy man!!!!!!

I have always kept a betta in mine. The filter is very small, but works perfectly for a betta as it is not too strong for them. I can take some pictures of mine and show you :)

I would love to see some photos!

Congrats!!!!!

Finally decided what to do with it! I have it set up underneath my 55g with all my other equipment and am using it as a plant grow out tank. I've got 9+ baby swords growing out there and 20+ tiny babies the sprouted from detached leaves of my mystery plant. It's pretty boring, but I'll take a photo when I get a chance.

make it a shrimp or betta tank! or both. lol . I had tons of fun setting up nanos. Get some soil, some live plants, PC lighting and presto! maybe be fancy and get some co2 running

make it a shrimp or betta tank! or both. lol . I had tons of fun setting up nanos. Get some soil, some live plants, PC lighting and presto! maybe be fancy and get some co2 running

It became a grow-out tank for my baby plants. I currently have more fish and tanks up and running than I really know what do with. A low maintenance plant only tank is just my speed. :) But your suggestion is pretty cool and was considered when I first picked it up.