Help Me Through This?

So I purchased a new fish today. S/he is a tiny fantail purchased from- now don't kill me- Wal*mart. I know, I know, it's awful to purchase fish from there... But the lfs fish looked awful. And I mean awful. They got their stock in last Friday and what's left looked half dead. But I was already in a fish buying mood, and when we went to Wal*mart... S/he was so cute and tiny... And I also purchased air stones, canning salt and epsom salt. I set up a 10g with a small filter(uncycled), an airwand, a light, and .1% salt.

I will (hopefully) be purchasing Prazi on Saturday, when I recieve my first paycheck. Is there anything else I should get? I haven't seen clamped fins or bottom sitting. The Wal*mart fishes were actually pretty healthy today, and I didn't see a single dead one, but... I want to do this right.

EDIT: S/he also isn't moving around much, just hanging by the bamboo I put in. Is this normal?

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

She's probably stressed and afraid. Turn off any lights and put a blanket or cloth over the front of the tank and let her relax a little. If you don't see her pull out of it in about 1-3 days, there may be some room for concern.

I'd suggest a longer QT period and I wish you all the best. :D

:Congrats:

DSCN7219.jpg

DSCN7218.jpg

th_DSCN7216.jpg

th_DSCN7214.jpg

DSCN7225.jpg

DSCN7224.jpg

DSCN7226.jpg

I figured a few really bad pictures was better than nothing at all. At least these let you see her general shape and color :rolleyes: I was having a lot of camera trouble. I am awful at this sort of thing. My dad might be able to help me get better pictures later. I have a few videos coming... they are currently uploading... but until then, these smudges of color is all I have to offer you. Please don't beat me with the Koko Stick. :hide:

I think the baby calico fantail fever has hit. However, one of my fantails turns out to be a butterfly tail. I just got my babies a few days ago from Wal-Mart too. Maybe they can all be online buddies. :teehee I understand why you're worried though. The tanks I got two of mine out of had fish with beyond deformed fins and the other fish I got from a different location; in the tank were fish with beyond fin rot and one fish had a huge swollen swim bladder. I watched the fish for a good ten minutes to make sure I picked out the ones that had a fair shot at surviving. My friend and I call the trio "The kids".

15d1df5f-8010-4fd2-bdd6-817e573f70fb.jpg

You don't have to apologize for getting a fish from Walmart. If you catch them when they first come in (before the neglect) you can get some real beauties. Yours looks lovely. Beautiful long fins.

Are you testing your water? Since your tank isn't cycled you are going to have to change a lot. I'd start with 50% daily. That's one 5 gallon bucket a day which isn't too bad to handle.

What are you using for water conditioner?

You don't have to apologize for getting a fish from Walmart. If you catch them when they first come in (before the neglect) you can get some real beauties. Yours looks lovely. Beautiful long fins.

Are you testing your water? Since your tank isn't cycled you are going to have to change a lot. I'd start with 50% daily. That's one 5 gallon bucket a day which isn't too bad to handle.

What are you using for water conditioner?

I feel bad supporting their fish industry, though. At least with the bettas they... okay, the bettas aren't cared for any better. But I just feel guilty buying a gf there, even if I almost always purchase my bettas there... Torrent, Pascal, and Torrent's predecessor, Peter, were all from WalMart. And thank you. They had a really nice selection. They even had some with super cute tiny tails that may have been ryukins... :heart

I haven't tested my water, but I did a 100% wc before I upped the salt to .2% salinity. After this, I cleaned out the carbon from one of my cycled cartridges and placed it inside the filter so I can have peace of mind when I'm away during my working days. I'll still do daily changes when I'm here of 30-50%, though.

I have Jungle Safe Start, as I haven't gotten around to buying Prime yet. It's on my wl.

I think the baby calico fantail fever has hit. However, one of my fantails turns out to be a butterfly tail. I just got my babies a few days ago from Wal-Mart too. Maybe they can all be online buddies. :teehee I understand why you're worried though. The tanks I got two of mine out of had fish with beyond deformed fins and the other fish I got from a different location; in the tank were fish with beyond fin rot and one fish had a huge swollen swim bladder. I watched the fish for a good ten minutes to make sure I picked out the ones that had a fair shot at surviving. My friend and I call the trio "The kids".

15d1df5f-8010-4fd2-bdd6-817e573f70fb.jpg

I'm sure Girly Fish would love to have online buddies! She was in a tank with lots of friends at Walmart, and I'm betting she's feeling pretty lonely right now. Your calicos are really pretty, but they make me wonder if Girly Fishy is a true calico? I thought she was, but she doesn't really have orange, but gold. Would she still be considered a calico?

She looks really tiny :heart

Congratulations on your new girl. I hope she completes period of QT without any problems :)

She is soooo tiny! I don't think she's much over an inch, even with her tail.

Thank you. I really hope so, too. I'm not experienced enough at this to deal with anything more than ich and fin rot! :teehee

Don't worry! The wonderful people from this forum will guide you through :)

As for Walmart, don't think about it as supporting their industry. Just think that you have just saved tiny little creature from a horrible ordeal she was likely to endure while there. You likely saved her life, and you are going to give her wonderful and caring home. She was lucky little fishy that you found her there :)

Buying from local mom and pop stores does not guarantee better results either, so don't feel bad about Walmart fish. I refuse to buy goldfish from my normal place because I've witnessed pretty bad conditions in the fancy goldfish tanks. Most of the stores around here cater to the saltwater crowd, so goldfish are treated as the little kid pet, and consequently neglected, just my opinion.

My first shubunkin came from petco, along with my first black moor. The moor came from a really bad tank and I wasn't experienced enough to save him. The shubie is doing great! So I agree with others here, those fish will be there, you buying them and providing the best care you can is a good thing.

PH: 7.4

AMMONIA: 0-.25 PPM

NITRITE: 0 PPM

NITRATE: 0-5ppm... closer to the 0 mark. (I only put the cycled media in this morning. It won't be fully cycled in there for a bit. I'll keep checking nitrates until it shows as well as my 29g)

Buying from local mom and pop stores does not guarantee better results either, so don't feel bad about Walmart fish. I refuse to buy goldfish from my normal place because I've witnessed pretty bad conditions in the fancy goldfish tanks. Most of the stores around here cater to the saltwater crowd, so goldfish are treated as the little kid pet, and consequently neglected, just my opinion.

My first shubunkin came from petco, along with my first black moor. The moor came from a really bad tank and I wasn't experienced enough to save him. The shubie is doing great! So I agree with others here, those fish will be there, you buying them and providing the best care you can is a good thing.

Don't worry! The wonderful people from this forum will guide you through :)

As for Walmart, don't think about it as supporting their industry. Just think that you have just saved tiny little creature from a horrible ordeal she was likely to endure while there. You likely saved her life, and you are going to give her wonderful and caring home. She was lucky little fishy that you found her there :)

Thanks, guys :heart I'm really glad I found this forum. I never knew about QTing with salt, or about Prazi, before I joined here. If not for this site, it's possible neither of my fish would live long, healthy lives. I really appreciate the help I've recieved.

I like the idea that I saved her from a fish bowl. It's a good thought. (Unless she dies, upon which time it will be a sad one)

My other fish, Kappa, is from PetSmart. He is very healthy, as were all the other gf I saw there. I figure it was a new shipment,.

Left is QT tank

DSCN7232.jpg

DSCN7229.jpg

There's some serious glare from the sun in that second picture, but you can see the obvious difference between the two. When I was mixing up the test for the one on the right I dropped the tube. It looks like some small, sickly animal peed on my floor. :joke

EDIT: Right tube isn't actually that dark. The funny sun and shadowing make it look that way, but it's really only 5-10ppm.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

I've been trying to get my babies use to the Hikari Goldfish Staple Baby Pellet food. It seems like one of my babies might have already turned into a spoiled brat. :doh11: What foods are you feeding yours?

I've been trying to get my babies use to the Hikari Goldfish Staple Baby Pellet food. It seems like one of my babies might have already turned into a spoiled brat. :doh11: What foods are you feeding yours?

I don't have much for food right now. I feed both Girly Fishy (My brother named her Magikarp, so I now have Kappa and Karpa) and Kappa a staple of Omega One Small Goldfish Pellets. They also get spirulina wafers, brine shrimp, and bloodworms, both of which are frozen. Little Girly Fishie is a snob and, so far, is only really interested in the spirulina wafer, although she has deigned to nibble at the omega one pellets :wall

I'm freaking out. I have to go down to my grandmother's house tonight, and I won't be back home until Wednesday afternoon. I hate leaving for so long when Karpa (Girly Fishie) is so new in her QT! I've only had her for two days! Thankfully her salt is at the right level, .3%, and her filter should be cycled in a few days, as I jump started it(I knew I'd have to go, just not so soon). None of my fish will be able to get fed again until Monday afternoon when my siblings are brought home. I, however, have to stay and work!!! I wouldn't go down, but it's my big bro's graduation party tomorrow and then I have to work, and my parents are also leaving tomorrow for my great grandmother's funeral. So, I'm strapped for options. What can I do to keep her from DYING while I'm away? I'm not even sure she has enough surface disturbance to live safely. Would it be better if I just... Put her in with Kappa? I really don't want to. She's too small and probably pretty sick. I'm really freaking out. What can I do?

This is very true. The mom and pop store by my work is absolutely horrific. ~50% dead fish in all tanks, poop smell, giant common plecos in GF tanks and diseases of all kinds, and the owner just sits there playing computer games. [emoji29] It always surprises me when people open a business they clearly are not passionate about.

Meanwhile, the Petsmart in my area is clean and the employees are very attentive and knowledgeable about the fish. I've seen them refuse sales to people with bowls/inappropriate tankmates several times. They seem to hire only actual hobbyists to work in the fish section, which is great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I don't have much for food right now. I feed both Girly Fishy (My brother named her Magikarp, so I now have Kappa and Karpa) and Kappa a staple of Omega One Small Goldfish Pellets. They also get spirulina wafers, brine shrimp, and bloodworms, both of which are frozen. Little Girly Fishie is a snob and, so far, is only really interested in the spirulina wafer, although she has deigned to nibble at the omega one pellets :wall

I'm freaking out. I have to go down to my grandmother's house tonight, and I won't be back home until Wednesday afternoon. I hate leaving for so long when Karpa (Girly Fishie) is so new in her QT! I've only had her for two days! Thankfully her salt is at the right level, .3%, and her filter should be cycled in a few days, as I jump started it(I knew I'd have to go, just not so soon). None of my fish will be able to get fed again until Monday afternoon when my siblings are brought home. I, however, have to stay and work!!! I wouldn't go down, but it's my big bro's graduation party tomorrow and then I have to work, and my parents are also leaving tomorrow for my great grandmother's funeral. So, I'm strapped for options. What can I do to keep her from DYING while I'm away? I'm not even sure she has enough surface disturbance to live safely. Would it be better if I just... Put her in with Kappa? I really don't want to. She's too small and probably pretty sick. I'm really freaking out. What can I do?

I had the same issue when I introduced Soilent Green after feeding only dry and frozen foods. All my fish liked it, except for my white ranchu, who is the oldest. He would take bites and then spit it out. I actually posted about it on here. I was told to just keep feeding it, and when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat it. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened. [emoji4]

I actually just bought the 1 mm NLS Thera-A pellets, and so far my fish really like them and haven't had any swim bladder issues like they did on the larger Hikari pellets. I prefer small pellets for that reason.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Karpa is NOT doing good! She can barely swim, has no balance, and is hardly eating! I did a 100% wc, refreshed the salt, and added a heater for added healing power... She is currently in a half filled 3g critter keeper. I hadn't known it was so bad- I was away for work- and now that I'm back, I'm not sure if she'll make it. I fed bloodworms and am now watching her carefully, postponing wc on other tank... Prazi will arrive on Friday. What can I do? Please help!