Sign in to follow this  

I was wondering what I could use to keep my ph stable? I would like something I could put in a bag and put in my eheim cannister filter thanks!

You can use crushed coral, but what most people use is baking soda :) it's excellent in keeping the pH and kH stable. You will need a kH test kit, as well. The ideal range of the kH and gH of the water should be 150-200ppm

The pH should ideally not be lower than 7.0-7.2, but As long as it's stable, it's okay though. But a higher pH is better (7.6-8+) here is all what you need to know about baking soda. :)

Edited by Mikey

Unless you use a very large amount of crushed coral (more than your canister can hold), you should be looking into using a buffer (Gold Buffer is excellent) or baking soda.

What are your tap and tank pH? Do you know the KH and GH of your tap and tank? :idont

LOL I thought I put that in. I guess I copied the link and forgot to paste it :P thanks!! :) Edited by Mikey

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late response I'm trying to figure out the tap a talk thing I will get a gh and kh test kit ASAP and I'm away from home so I will get the readings for ph kh and gh from my tap on Tuesday! Thanks for the help I will probably try the baking soda thing.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late response I'm trying to figure out the tap a talk thing I will get a gh and kh test kit ASAP and I'm away from home so I will get the readings for ph kh and gh from my tap on Tuesday! Thanks for the help I will probably try the baking soda thing.

Baking soda is easy and cheap :)

12 or so pounds if it from Walmart was I think 7-8 dollars :)

bicarbonate will increase your pH and won't cloud the water.

Don't forget to dissolve it first before adding it, if you do.

In some ways I wish I hadn't added it to my pond because I already had an issue with my water's high pH. Our city adds sodium hydroxide to the water.

Too much baking soda and you'll have a stable pH of 8.3, but it doesn't cloud the water.

Edited by mysterygirl

Don't forget to dissolve it first before adding it, if you do.

In some ways I wish I hadn't added it to my pond because I already had an issue with my water's high pH. Our city adds sodium hydroxide to the water.

Too much baking soda and you'll have a stable pH of 8.3, but it doesn't cloud the water.

A stable pH of 8.3 is perfectly fine. Goldfish can easily tolerate that :)

Do your best to make sure the baking soda hasn't been contaminated. If your using a box of baking soda that your parents have used, it may have some other thing in there. For example, if your mom/dad is baking something and the recipe calls for baking soda, they may use a measuring spoon that had just been used to measure sugar or cinnamon. In this case the box of baking soda may be contaminated with sugar or cinnamon. Get a new box of baking soda and declare that as being for your fish only.

My tap ph was about 7.5 and I have some in cup that I will be testing to see if it fluctuates over time. If they have a kh and gh test kit today at my petco I will buy it if not I will order it online

My tap ph was about 7.5 and I have some in cup that I will be testing to see if it fluctuates over time. If they have a kh and gh test kit today at my petco I will buy it if not I will order it online

While this test may give you some idea, it's not quite the same as in the tank, where you have air pumps making bubbles, and facilitating better/faster gas exchange. A pH of 7.5 is a very good pH. :)

I'd much rather have a 7.5 pH for my fishies than an 8.3, but you're right Mikey....I seem to care more about it than they do.

That said, I've had to compromise with my tap water pH fluctuations (8.0 to 8.7!),

the algae inhaling and exhaling (8.0-8.3)

and the baking soda (8.3).

After a year of arguing, we've all settled at 8.0, sigh.

WIth a little help from some Malaysian driftwood (less than 7, 6.8?) and RO water (6.8).